The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Fellowship of Christian Magicians! » » Deeply hurt and disappointed in the FCM! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Hey Sam- The only encouragement I can offer is God's word. Just remember that not only is He in control, but that He allowed this. He allows these trials into our life to shape us into the likeness of His Son. I'm sure you know this brother- so please don't take it the wrong way- like I'm talking down to you or something- sometimes these forums don't allow us to sound as compassionate as we would like, but we all need to be reminded and encouraged of these things as brothers in Christ.

Here's some living water to refresh you:

James 1:2-4

2 Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, 3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. 4 And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

Psalm 46 1-3

1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
2 Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
3 Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah.

Here is a great Scripture; one of my favorites. This might be the best course of action:

Exodus 14:14
The Lord will fight for you while you keep silent.”

Hope these encourage you Sam. God bless you and my prayers are with you.

Hebrews 3:13

But encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called “Today,” so that none of you will be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.

One more thing- Remember that doors He opens no one can close and what He closes no one can open Is 22:22. So if these shows you are losing are God's decision it is His will, but He may have something better in mind. You are His child and He only gives His children good things- even adversity and loss are good for us in the long run of shaping us into the likeness of Christ. If this isn't God's will and it is a Satanic attack then I would expect the whole thing will be worked out satisfactorily for you in His timing. If you stand strong in Him and trust Him your faith and testimony will be a great example to others and who knows that you might end up with more shows at the end than you had in the beginning. Like what happened to Job. Take care and God bless.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Ditto to all of the above Sam.

If the grumbling party does not have a copyright performance piece, and only if you stole it directly from him rather than independently coming up with it (which too happens all the time too), does he have a legal leg to stand on. Otherwise, you might have a cause of action against him for slander and libel to your name, especially if there was a financial loss to you.

Even though you have not mentioned here on this forum what effect you are talking about, my guess is whatever it was has been done by any number of magic performers previously. If Eugene Berger (as just another lame example) does the "Gypsy Thread" routine with a quasi-religious theme, does that mean FCMers now cannot use this same very old effect with Gospel patter (which also has been so well by several others)? I think not.

So if you are getting threatening calls from any folks, be sure to get their full names and addresses so your legal counsel later (who hopefully will NEVER be needed) will know exactly who to serve. Ouch. My guess is the current FCM leaders also would get involved if requested, they are a great bunch and I'm sure they would be willing to provide "wise counsel" if need be. But don't count on that being requested- whining folks in my experience often I think enjoy the whining process and being righteously upset/angry rather than actually looking for a polite resolution between brothers.

I am too saddened by apparently what has gone on, really no place for it either in the FCM, IBM, SAM or anywhere else amongst fellow Believers. And I doubt if anyone who has contacted you or written about you actually has any convention booking clout- those major bookers usually would know better.

Hang in there, there is light at the end of the tunnel and it is not from any kind of solid train headed your way. Psalm 67.
Kif Anderson
View Profile
FCM forum Staff
1961 - 2012
386 Posts

Profile of Kif Anderson
Sam -

Please know I have brought this issue to the attention of the rest of the FCM board. None of us (the Board that is) heard any such complaints at the convention. All I personally heard was praise for what you shared at both the Tuesday main stage and Wednesday Late Show. And I joyously add to it. Having you and your daughter there and performing were stand out moments of the week.

We were blessed to have you with us. And we look forward to having you there again.

Blessings to you and your family
We are not cisterns made for hoarding, we are channels made for sharing. - Billy Graham
<BR>
<BR>Sharing the gospel with Comedy & Illusion www.ozandwilde.com
Andrew
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Andrew
Kif,

Due to schedule conflicts, I was unable to attend either of Sam's shows, BUT I certainly enjoyed his lecture and the few moments I was able to speak with him.

Having said that, for what it's worth, I hope the FCM brings him and his daughter back next year!

Thanks Sam for a great lecture and I am still enjoying your DVDs!

andrew
Andrew
Professional Provider of Wonderment!
www.andrewsfamilymagic.com
Doug Follett
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of Doug Follett
I think I will chime in here, not really sure what to say though. I'm saddened to read about this. I have been attending with my daughter for the last four years, and have never observed anything other than kindness and great fellowship. I was really bummed that the only night we didn't get to the Late Show was Wednesday, especially when I heard the next day that Sam had performed! After seeing your show on Tuesday Sam, I instantly became a fan! And I very much admire you for sharing your story during your lecture, and how you have raised your daughter by yourself. You seem like the real deal to me, and I hope to see you back at FCM in the future! PLEASE!

I know how proud you must have been to see your daughter shine so brightly on the stage too!!

Try to keep looking up!

On a side note, I love your DVD!

Doug
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
Sam,

I just came to knowledge of this controversy this afternoon, and I also want to say that I found both your evening performance and the Late Show performance to be totally enjoyable! Your story is inspirational and your stagecraft is impeccable. Your snowstorm presentation was beautiful, and I actually hope it's included on the convention highlight DVD which I purchased.

Don't let the jerk(s) get the best of you. You are loved by the FCM and I hope you will come back to see us again! I also want to say I loved your daughter's solo performance as well.

May our beloved Lord bless your ministry and give you opportunities you never thought of to replace the ones that have been lost as a result of this pettiness.

Carrie
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Hi every one

I would first like to say thanks for all the encouragement both here on the Café and from emails.
it has been a source of strength during this difficult time.

I would like to clear a few things up.

My first post was a bit of a gut check reaction to what was happening. I was so dismayed by the fact that some one at the FCM convention was not willing to come to me first before making the false accusation. they obviously do not know what they are talking about and if they had come to me it would have all been settled rather quickly and all this aggravation could have been avoided!

so that first post might have come off a bit harsh.

I want to say I am NOT upset with the FCM as a whole I am disappointed with the person or persons that have created this headache.
the FCM has poured out love and prayers for me and that has been wonderful.

I must also point out that this time of Brokenness is exactly what I was talking about in my show Tuesday night. it is not a question of WILL we face difficulties or brokenness but rather what will we do when we face them.

maybe it was not clear maybe I did not speak up enough on this thread but let me be very clear here and now.

OUR God is a big big God and He is bigger then this storm. I put my faith and trust in Him and HIM alone. he is my refuge and only he can calm the storms.
I will remain in Him thru out this ordeal and I know that in the end victory is Mine.

as someone from the FCM recently shared with me about once hearing a preacher on the radio say this, "A sailor doesn't become a sailor in calm waters. It takes the storms to make a sailor a good sailor."

point is that as a christian as a FOLLOWER of Christ we will face storms and as we let god guide us thru these storms we will grow and strengthen ourselves and this will allow god to use us in even mightier ways.

I would appreciate your continued prayers as this is still on going and it is my understanding that whom ever started this contacted some one in the magic world high up and they are threatening to sue me. which makes this all the more frustrating but again God has a plan and I am looking forward to seeing Him glorified thru this ordeal.

on a side note it is beyond me why they have become so angry with me and threatening me - they claim to have a copy of the video of my performance-- WATCH IT THEN! that sure would solve all the problems. but I guess some people enjoy being angry.

thanks again and know that I am in His hands and NO ONE can snatch me away!

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Sam -

Sorry to read that you're going through this.

Your post made me think of this song by Tenth Avenue North, titled "Losing". Here's the official music video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHcVTbyJqis

I know that you are deaf, so I sought out a video that someone made with just the lyrics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpe6Q-QVsoQ

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Donald,
I am so impressed that you not only took the time to encourage me but that you went the extra mile to find a way to communicate with me what you wanted by searching out the song with lyrics so that I could read it and enjoy it and be encouraged by it.

thank you so much for that extra effort it meant a lot to me.

sam
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Sam--

I am not a member of FCM, nor did I attend the convention. However, I am a Catholic Christian and wanted to add my encouragement to the rest. I, like many here, have had false accusations against me (nothing to do with magic). Those can cause extreme stress, brokenness, and sometimes even a complete failure of ministry. I know that you are stronger than that...and with God's help, you will make it through all of this.

As preacher Jesse duPlantis (notice I am citing my source...LOL) once said "You cannot have a testimony without first having a test". You will come out bigger, stronger and more faithful. The one who started all this, if he doesn't confess his sin of false witness, will be the one who pays a price.

Above all, keep praying for the person(s) who started all this. The Scriptures teach us that loving our enemies is like piling hot coals upon their heads.

Finally, I will seek the intercession of St. John Bosco for you. He is the Patron of Gospel Magicians and stage performers.

May Almighty God bless you, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Sam, even though we have never met or even talked for that fact I have been reading these posts. Not sure of all of it but don't need to know it all either. God knows and from the posts here I see Him at work. I know that we are not to change Gods word but He seemed to let me use this as a ministry tool for me, to me. "If God is for us!!!!!! End of discussion. I have been ministered to and encouraged through these posts. And I will pray for you and ask God to lift you up above all of this.

Donald, thank you for your post. I love that band and that song just ministered in a big way to me as something I am going through is spoken in that song. I left the church for awhile because I thought I didn't need God anymore, How WRONG I was. I need Him more than anything. Thank you for that link.

I am the only Christian in my home and I am about to have a good old fashioned prayer meeting. Thank you, thank you.

Steven True
derrenshowman
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of derrenshowman
God is moulding you.
Amazing Binky
View Profile
Loyal user
Lancaster,OH
224 Posts

Profile of Amazing Binky
They're probably jealous because your show kicks their show's butt!
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Plus Sam, just another word of encouragement. This post really has zilch to do with the FCM as an organization, rather just with one dude who apparently was in your audience. Can you change the heading of this thread to "disappointed with a dude"? The Late Show at the FCM convention is fun city, often filled with farce, comedy spoofs, and just about everything in between. Not exactly a high visability public audience at that hour of the night in a kinda small gathering of FCMers already half asleep. I know, when I performed there the evening before, it seemed like most of the audience was snoring. Maybe that was because of my choice of material...
Amazing Binky
View Profile
Loyal user
Lancaster,OH
224 Posts

Profile of Amazing Binky
Titling it "disappointed with a dude" could start a whole new batch of rumors! Smile
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
I came on stage a few acts after Sam on that Wednesday night. The audience had loved your performance and were still talking about it when I left a few days later.

Nothing I saw you perform was UNoriginal. You seemed to have an unique take on everything. I've seen that kind of performance before, but yours was definitely one of a kind. Great fun to watch.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
guyactor
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of guyactor
Sam - I just read all of these. Sorry you went through this. We all feel those gut reactions during our lives....... Over time, I've seen the Lord help me let some of it roll off my back 'like a duck'.... but, not after many learning experiences.

Bless you my brother!

Dougini said something - About not wanting to align ourselves with those who name themselves christian, sometimes....

Keep it up. Keep it going........

Blesssings,

Barry
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Hi aLL

FIRST I wish I could change the title but that was my gut reaction that day when I got the phone call and threat from some one.

its true I am more upset with that apparent one person that was at the FCM convention then I am with FCM in general. FCM is my family and I love you all even the bozo that caused all this heartache and headaches!

as for updates-
I mentioned several times that my routine was indeed original as pretty much everything in my show is presented in my own original style as well as several of my routines are 100% my original idea and creation. however the routine I performed at the late show was my interpretation of getting in a big balloon.
I don't recall seeing any one else having a custom made full body spandex outfit made for this routine. also all my antics were mine to my knowledge however apparently one thing yes 1 just one thing that I did is in question as it was similar to some one elses but really I can not say that they own the idea I mean every balloon routine I have ever seen includes this idea. so anyway.

I told the people that contacted me that I have this on video and would gladdly supply it to their lawyers any time any where. they said that the were optaining there own copy and would be intouch.

I spoke to some one that is friends with the person (who apparently owns the routine) and the good news is that my video did indeed prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that I did not steal anything. there is the one little thing that I do that they seem to claim is his and that is fine as I already had been doing it differently however that night at FCM I did not have my "special" something with me.

all in all the people have told me never to contact them never to come to any of their shows as I am not welcome and never ever talk to them.

its sad that they are this angry over nothing really they checked the facts and see that I did nothing wrong and they are still upset.

what is worse I have lost him as a friend. I considered him a good friend and this person and I have shared the stage before and been hired to perform at events at the same time. but HIs wife has chosen to believe the lies and for what ever reason has much bitterness and anger in her heart. lets pray for them

at to all of you at the fcm thanks for the words of encouragement and know this. I never lost sight of who God was in all of this. yes I did fear the onslaught of a trial at one point but as James says in verse one-- Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,[a] whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. 6 But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7 That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.

thanks again and hope to be back in the near future with some of my new stuff
as well as if any of you are involved in other christian magic conventions or get togethers and looking for lectures and entertainment please don't hesitate to contact me.

thanks again

sam
MagicMattMan
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
741 Posts

Profile of MagicMattMan
Quote:
On 2012-11-04 15:26, Sam Sandler wrote:
Thanks again and hope to be back in the near future with some of my new stuff
as well as if any of you are involved in other christian magic conventions or get togethers and looking for lectures and entertainment please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thanks again

Sam

Hey Sam,

Thanks for the update on the situation as well as yourself. I personally want to thank you for all your hard work and contributions to the FCM family and magic community as a whole. I look forward to seeing what you bring in the future and I wish you the best of luck with future endeavors.

God Bless,
Matt

P.S. If you have a free weekend in March, look up the Magic4Him conference in Tampa, FL.
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not, none will suffice." -Joseph Dunninger

"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."Hebrews 13:2
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Fellowship of Christian Magicians! » » Deeply hurt and disappointed in the FCM! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL