The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Talk about comedy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2580 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
If you were attending a talks/lecture on comedy as it relates to performing magic what subject matter would you find most interesting, useful and/or engaging?

What would you want to hear about? What would you hope you might be able to take from such a talk/lecture?

The more detail you include in your replies the better.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
1. Finding comedy in every day life
2. Use of Journalling
3. Writing and revision
4. Improvisation exercises
5. Examples of above used in performance
6. What they learned the hard way
7. How to handle when a routine that usually goes over well gets a luke warm success
8. Examples of the elements that go into comedy
9. Breaking the rules
10. Working alone versus duet acts.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2580 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Excellent stuff Harris. It'll be interesting to see what piques the interests of others too.
Neal Austin

magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Only just saw this thread. As usual, it had been sunk by the groany game threads.

I think what I'd want from a comedy lecture isn't the same thing that would make a successful comedy lecture which would of course be a selection of jokes, sight gags and effects to take verbatim and add to one's act.

I do find it hard to say what I'd like to hear in a lecture, a lot of the lessons I have learned performing comedy over the last few years have been only really applicable to myself and my style.

I think stagecraft would be usefull, I spent a lot of time fumbling with mics in stands, props and volunteers before working out how to do everything smoothly so some tips in that respect might be good.

Writing exercises might be useful. I have a few things I do now but at the start I'd often just stare at a blank sheet of paper for half an hour and write nothing (or a page full of gibberish).

I'd probably want something quite interactive, a workshop even. An exercise were everyone (or a brave few) can write something, perform it then get immediate feedback.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
I recently did a workshop on comedy improvisation.

One of the presenters on a different topic, told me something I will hold on to.

Comedy can also be used as a break in a very dramatic piece. In order to reach the maximum height of an emotion, a comedy release is necessary to get there.

During my workshop, we talked about combining writing, rewriting and true improv.

Then following a true improv going back to the writing to tweak the bit.

We also played games similar to that seen on the Whose line is it anyway. I learned them way back in the 70's as Theatre Games.

Folks attending had just finished a prop making class. We used some of the things they made in the game "Props".

A favorite of mine was a long trumpet like prop.

We talked but also got up and created.

Thanks for reading and "righting".

When I right I sometimes include everything...including the inner critic that pops up during the process. Some day this "Inner Critic", may become a character in a vent routine. At this stage, "he/she" will not be a puppet, but voiced with me alone on stage. "He/she" will be coming just out of my brain,voiced without lip movement in a slightly different voice from me. (perhaps of mom,dad,brother..4th grade teacher....)

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2580 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I'm on the gala show at Ron's Day/weekend next month and as part of the Festival of Magic in the week preceding it I'm giving a talk on comedy magic so I using this thread to look for an in.

I've written loads for this talk approaching different aspects of comedy magic from many different angles but whenever I read anything back it sounds so dull.

I liked George's interactive idea but as I'm unsure of the format and layout I'm going with something more talky. Also George's other suggestion of stagecraft appealed but like many of my other attempts at this it end up being about performing generally as opposed to being specifically about performing comedy.

I've at least got an intro I'm happy with. Only a month to go though and at my snails pace that's a tough one. Smile
Neal Austin

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Talk about comedy (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL