The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Copper/Silver Coin Routine Recommendations Wanted (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1668 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2012, drbuzzard wrote:
. . . can anyone suggest some DVDs and books where I might find the state-of-the-art in copper/silver transpositions and other routines with the c/s coin?

In addition to the latest and greatest, check out some older uses for the c/s coin.

A classic is Presto-Change-o in Bobo. Basically, TWO half dollars change to two copper coins and back again. It's easy (only requires a Bobo Switch and a Utility Switch), and you can hand out the coins at the end if you want.

Then there's Cop-Sil-Brass by Geoff Latta, in Kaufman's "Coin Magic." The intro says: "This is a masterpiece of construction: David Roth has called the second transposition the best use of a copper/silver coin he's seen. It's one of the most visually astounding coin routines you'll ever learn."

Just because something is "old" doesn't mean it's not state of the art.

Cheers,
Jerry
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8754 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I agree with Jerry here, the C/S coin is a great utility device, and actually, the little routine that used to come with it (?), was a pretty nice one, I remember. Nothing difficult to it but it was very magical, and I believe it had a phase that was done in the spec's hand as well. *Here's a little video that shows it along with the suggestion above from Bobo's, "Presto-Change-o" It's all pretty simple stuff but I gotta tellya, it truly amazes people. And when you get it down smooth, it could become a regular trick to carry around and do. Smile

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRFkXnkYBrw

I use the C/S coin in a few of my effects, just about the only gaff coin I use most times when I use trick coins. Why? Well, it's easy to keep up with, pretty cheap and has a lot of ways to use it, and also lends itself to some real creativity. To me, as far as trick coins go, this is where you start, because as you play with it, you will begin to to truly see all the magic inside it. Smile
*Check out my latest: The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8925 Posts

Profile of funsway
I agree with MB that it is one of the "must have" gaffs.

Yet, for me there has to be story to make sense of two different coins the spectator has never seen before.

Why coins? Why a silver half dollar? What is an English penny? There must be something funny here!

Thus, C/S effects can be very entertaining. Will they be seen as magic? That must be communicated from you in some manner.

What will come before this coin effect? What will come after? How do you segue into other effects?

This just means that finding the "perfect effect" for this gaff is only part of the mission.

If you plan on performing quickies for strangers on a bus you can't do better than MB/s effect.

For a different venue or audience you may need something else. Remember, no prop is inherently magical -- and there for no gaff either.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of papawemba
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2454 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Dacid Acer's Spare Change technically uses that gimmick at one point. It is easy to do and visual as well. It comes with a special dime and penny but to make it more visible I switched over to a sun and moon set. Highly recommend this one!
elainevblaine
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of elainevblaine
Hands Down... Citation Silver.
Teyo
View Profile
New user
New Brunswick, NJ
53 Posts

Profile of Teyo
Mark Jenest's Miracles While-U-Wait have a really cool copper sliver that I use
I really enjoy Eric Jones Metal 2 Copper Sliver Coin routine.
Teyo
View Profile
New user
New Brunswick, NJ
53 Posts

Profile of Teyo
So many great effects on this post, I cant wait to learn these great routines as well
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
503 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
Kaufman's CoinMagic has a ton of copper silver routines in it. Gimmicked and un gimmicked I think that is where I would start but John Scarne has a good one in stars of magic along with a bit with the two coins by Carlyle too.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3993 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
As someone mentioned previously, there are a plethora of moves on the Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights for Spellbound, and several methods to show c/s coins. Volumes 2,3, and 4 of the NYCMS DVD series contain six hours of routines and ideas with copper and silver coins, but there are many more routines throughout the series, both with and without gaffs.
Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22736 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I can't believe no one mentioned the excellent work of Jules DeBarros called Coins of Ishtar, a book with some extensive work for the Copper/Silver coins. Was published in hard bound, but later released in Perfect Bound.

Contents:

1 Foreword by Ed Marlo
5 Coins of Ishtar Part One
5 Prelude: the inspiration
6 The Coins of Ishtar: Two rows of coins, 3 silver and 3 copper are picked up and laid back out, the coins transpose.
20 The Easy Way Coin Transpo. One Copper under one card, One Silver under another. A penny and dime placed on top of the cards mark the locations. The penny and dime are switched, and it is found the Copper and Silver have switched as well.
24 The Hypocritical Coins. In the hands transposition of Copper/Silver coins. Can be examined at end.
28 The Coins of Ishtar Meet the Chinatown Quarter. Performing Coins of Ishtar with Chinatown Quarters
30 A Utility Move: Showing "both" sides of the coin
32 Coins of Ishtar Part Two
32 Classical Coin Transposition. An in the spectator's hands transposition of Copper/Silver coins
41 The Neurotic Coin: Copper placed in left hand, Silver produced from leg. Copper vanishes
42 The Midas Lift: utility coin move
43 The Grasshopper Coin Trick: Silver in Left, Copper in Right, Silver joins copper
47 Impromptu Grasshopper: As above, no gimmicks (back palm)
52 The Hammam Routine: A full routine at the table. Includes a penetration, transformation, and combination vanish and production.
64 Analects: discussion of planting, rhythm, and theatre skills
67 Apologia
68 Some Last Remarks by Jon Racherbaumer
69 Bibliography
Charles Gaff
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Charles Gaff
Quote:
On Aug 13, 2012, Russell Davidson wrote:
IMO you can't beat Roth's routine mentioned in the OP. Learning the main move will take some time to master but it is well worth it. Lovely subtle use of the gaff.

It took some practice for this one, but it seems to fool constantly.
Aljaz Son
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of Aljaz Son
I might be a bit biased, but Coin On Call is a very unique and strong use of the C/S coin. Smile
You can learn it here:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5991

Now I am aware that by checking out the trailer, an experienced magician can work out the core method...
Even so, I would advise learning the complete routine (the nature of the routining takes away almost any possibility to be caught in the "weakest" moment(s)) either by purchasing the download on Penguin (where you receive the gimmick for US currency) OR tracking down the The Linking Ring magazine - November 2014 issue (Volume 94, Number 11), pages 106-107.

If you can't track down The Linking Ring issue, there was an earlier write-up of this effect and routine in MAGIC Magazine's August 2011 edition (pages 66-67 in the Talk About Tricks section).

In any case, I hope some of you find the effect strong enough to try and pefrom it AND would love to hear your thoughts on it after trying it out.
If you have any questions, doubts or concerns, please do not hesitate to ask and speak up.

All the best
Aljaž Šon
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5389 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Inderential-Kainoa Harbottle....best copper silver work I've seen
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8754 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Nov 21, 2016, Aljaz Son wrote:
I might be a bit biased, but Coin On Call is a very unique and strong use of the C/S coin. Smile

All the best
Aljaž Šon

Well, your "biasness" is well placed with this effect Aljaz, it is quite clever for a C/S routine…Very sexy and up to date with a lot of creativity there. Smile Good luck with it and Welcome to the Café. Smile

And Koz, I really like Kainoia's work with coins, anything he does is worth learning from and playing with, IMHO. Smile

But to me, C/S routines are great tricks to learn from and with. Kainoia uses a great word in "Inferential" as to his effect. It is exactly that concept that makes these sorts of tricks with Copper and Silver coins, as well as C/S coins work so well.

I've come up with several tricks using them, i.e., MB Transpo, ReViSiTed, JumpMandDu and some others (look 'em up on YT). Smile And I even have a little pet 3-phase C/S routine I've done for years now (as I'm reminded here by some of Kainoia's work with this) Smile. Simple stuff but it amazes people, and that's about all it ever has to do. Smile The very simple C/S coin used to come with a basic effect that still will rock the socks off people when done well. It's actually pretty darn easy to do, but plays big. Smile

Now, you can do these tricks with a couple of regular coins, a few, or make it even more devilish by throwing in a C/S coin. It really is an exercise in your own creativity to play with them and come up with this & that, as everyone else usually comes to do and call it their own…I sure did. Smile
*Check out my latest: The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Aljaz Son
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of Aljaz Son
Inferential really is a thing of beauty Kozmo. Smile

Thank you Marion for your welcoming and encouraging words. Much appreciated.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Back to Bobo
Presto Change-O
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
That1MagicGuy
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of That1MagicGuy
The Copper Sliver Coin routine: Eric Jones Metal 2 is the only one I have learn, it gets great reception.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Copper/Silver Coin Routine Recommendations Wanted (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL