The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Advantages and disadvantages of tetradistic stacks? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tanay
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of Tanay
Hi guys,

After a lot of time and effort I have decided to make my own stack, taking a lot of advice from posters on the Café. I have added 2 built-in features to my stack:- that it is directly ready for the Shufflebored effect, and also that it can easily be converted to a stay stack (reversing top 26 cards only).

I also have made it a tetradistic stack, but I was wondering what the advantages (and disadvantages!) of such a feature might be.

With a tetradistic stack, I know that the finale to Ackerman's Opener is a great effect, so is cutting to any named four of a kind (since they're 13 cards apart, easy to pinky count or even dead cut).

Is there any other valuable feature, or certain drawbacks, of these stacks?

Thanks in advance! Smile
Tanay
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2805 Posts

Profile of Tom G
See Doug Dyments site for comparisons of stack types and tons of other info.
http://www.deceptionary.com/
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1520 Posts

Profile of Cain
Tanay,

I hope you've already read Dymet's essay.

One should pick a stack that suits their needs, but I think a tetradistic stack is one of the strongest available, all things considered.

Other than the features you mention, which allows you to perform "Finally Matched" (which you've no doubt seen on CLASSIC ACKERMAN), I recall an Ortiz trick named "The Quick and the Dead" that used the tetradistic properties of the Si Stebbins stack. You could potentially use that handling for the location of mates. A better trick you might want to look up is "Sal's Memory Opener" off Sal Piacante's two volume set from a few years ago. Since you're set up for it, you can do it as a closer.

While I'm not keen on spelling tricks, you may wish to build some easy spellers into positions 10 through 20.

Some of the disadvantages/trade-offs that come to mind...
Can't get into your stack from NDO.
I'm guessing you don't have any built in poker deals, which would be difficult to incorporate since the next card of the same value is 13 down.
No story trick (although maybe you can get creative somehow and repeat the story).
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Cain, using Darwin Otrtiz' "Si Stebbins Secret", you can go from NDO to Si Stebbins, which is tetradistic, so that's not actually one of the tradeoffs.
dchung
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
616 Posts

Profile of dchung
Also, while we're at it, Stebbins definitely has a built-in poker deal.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2600 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
A huge advantage is that you're one faro shuffle away from having all cards directly next to their mates. I use this idea to perform a David Regal coincidence effect whose name escapes me. I think it's from Constant Fooling 1. Then I'm one more faro away from having all the values next to each other. This can be used to produce any named 4-of-a-kind.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1520 Posts

Profile of Cain
Quote:
On 2012-08-13 10:59, Scott Cram wrote:
Cain, using Darwin Otrtiz' "Si Stebbins Secret", you can go from NDO to Si Stebbins, which is tetradistic, so that's not actually one of the tradeoffs.

Scott, I'm under the impression this is a tetradistic stack of his own making -- "I have decided to make my own stack." An even faster (and easier) way of getting into a tetradistic configuration from NDO is to reverse either the top or bottom 26 cards (like Lennart Green).

Quote:
On 2012-08-13 16:21, dchung wrote:
Also, while we're at it, Stebbins definitely has a built-in poker deal.

Well, sure, but like I said, I don't think he's using a Si Stebbins. A tetradistic is pretty much limited to flushes and straights (and straight flushes). Could set it up so someone gets an ace or king as a high card, next guy gets a near flush, next player makes a straight, next player makes a flush, and the dealer gets a royal flush. But it's a little short of ideal, and indeed, when decks are stacked for poker deals -- e.g. Aronson's Poker deal, or the large set up for Green's Poker deal -- they naturally include a little variety.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Advantages and disadvantages of tetradistic stacks? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL