The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » MagiFest is BACK!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
giobbi1
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of giobbi1
Quote:
On 2013-01-29 14:03, mtoth2008 wrote:
I loved many aspects of the Magi-fest also but I will take issue with those of you who thought the dealers did better with a room that was packed like a truck load of cattle. I know that I was unable to see all of the products and their demonstrations due to the sea of manhood in the room......many of whom never buy a thing but just want to satisfy their curiosity. What is one of the main reasons is the internet so sucessful? EASE OF ACCESS. I spent close to $1000 between the dealers and the stuff offered by the performers after their lectures but would have spent more if the access would have been easier. The 83 year old couple I came to the fest with did not want to fight the crowds in the dealer room although he bought almost every DVD and set of lecture notes available at the lectures. I don't want to sound too negative as overall the event was a great success but for those of you who don't make your living buying & selling as I do........I believe your opinions are just that.....opinions. I am sure many of the dealers did well as I believe the final estimate of attendance slightly exceeded 600 which was almost twice as many as the last time I attended in 2010. The nice people who ran the fest indicated they were looking for alternative solutions to the dealer room situation for next years' fest thereby acknowledging that there were issues with that room for many attendees. Mike

I don't THINK the dealers did better. I was one of them. I know for a fact that we did better at Magi-Fest this year than we have the last 5 at least. In checking with other dealers, they agreed as well. Not a thought....fact.
Antony Gerard
View Profile
Veteran user
Kalamazoo, Michigan
359 Posts

Profile of Antony Gerard
Hello fellow wand wielding wizards

I agree that the dealer room was over crowded at times, especially on Thursday. For me it was not a big problem because I love the pitch. Throw the line out and reel them in for a demonstration. It was GRRRRRRRREAT!!!!!!! Granted a little more room would be nice, however, not two rooms like they did a couple of years ago. No dealer in the small room liked the situation of a large and small dealers room two years ago. Please keep it in one room.

This was the best year that I have had at a Magi-Fest in four to five years.

My only complaint was the COLD shower on Friday and the fact that there was almost no room between the dealer tables. If I had not lost 18 pounds during my November through December European magic lecture tour, I do not think that I would have been able to get into my booth.

I think that Josh, Andy, and the 2013 Magi-Fest staff deserve a round of applause for creating such a memorable event. I for one will be back next year.

May the force be with you
Antony Gerard
PS; I would also like to take this opportunity to say thank you to all who stopped by my dealer stand. Whether you bought or not, I thank you for your time and I hope that you enjoyed my demonstration.
mtoth2008
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of mtoth2008
Hello Antony! It was great seeing you at the Magi-fest and I was so happy to see how excited you were about your upcoming tour to Europe. I knew my remarks would be controversial.......BUT.........I will stand by them.

* Of couse some dealers did better than in past years......you had 2 times as many warm bodies in attendance.

* Of course some dealers did better than in past years.....although the Magi-fest draws an international crowd the fact that there was NO MAGI-FEST last year and the fact the 50%+ of the people who attend a from Ohio or neighboring states meant there was a lot of PENT UP DEMAND within the midwest crowd that does not travel the globe or to to Las Vegas, Denver, California, or some of our southern states.

*BUT.......and here is the big BUT.......even though some dealers (maybe all?) did "better" it is impossible to tell how HIGH their sales would have been had the setting been more condusive to shopping. It was great to see a true professional like Mark Mason "pitching" his wares but unless you were 7 feet tall you could not see much. I know that there were items that were sold out before all could see them demonstrated. On one expensive item that I purchased I was offered the demo model as that was all that was left. If I had taken that item then no one else could have seen it demonstrated. (I declined as I wanted a new one in the box and am willing to wait).

When I discussed the dealer room with friends who could not make the "fest" due to conflicts over dinner last night they made it clear that they would have avoided the congestion as they are not comfortable in those kinds of very tightly packed crowds.

As mentioned in my previous remarks the elderly couple I came with bought nearly every video & set of lecture notes available at the lectures and had money left to spend but did not want to fight the crowds.

All in all......I liked it when you were in the small room in 2010 and I bought 3 things from you. I had to wait for things to wind down on Saturday to offer you a brief hello. Enjoy Europe my friend!
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I think we're losing sight of the real problem. I believe the dealer room was set up well, based on the assumption that attendance would be 150 to 175 magicians. When 600 showed up, the room couldn't handle it but it was too late to make any changes. Josh has already said they recongize the situation and are making adjustments for next year.

Personally, I wouldn't mind two dealer rooms but there's no reason to make a large and a small room. There were about 20 dealers in attendance so two rooms of 10 wouldn't seem to be a problem but that's just my opinion.
Where the magic begins
mtoth2008
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of mtoth2008
Dave, thank you for chiming in on this. When I read your message it jogged my memory. I believe there were fewer dealers this year than in 2010 the last time I attended. Although you get a "rotation" of people lecturing & selling so there will be a slightly different "mix" I did notice the absence of ABBOTT Magic, the gentleman who was selling the spoon bending & various other items created/made overseas, a gentleman who was selling illusionettes, and of course our recently departed Hank Moorehouse. Did they just not decide to attend or was there insufficient space for them? Let me repeat.....I THOUGHT THE FEST WAS GREAT except for this one issue and I know Josh & Andy are working on improving it for next year. Mike
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1223 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
Just a quick mention, not that it is completely relevant, but there was in fact a MagiFest in 2011. It did not take a break at all. Back to our regularly scheduled reviews of the Fest.........
mtoth2008
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of mtoth2008
There was a magi-fest in 2011. There was NO agi-fest in 2012. Last weeks magi-fest was 2013. Mike
Paul Richards
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of Paul Richards
There was also one in 2012. It was downtown at the Renaissance Hotel, I was a dealer there.

It was shortly after the 2012 event that they announced it was coming to a close - and not too long after that Josh and Andi picked up the torch.
mtoth2008
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of mtoth2008
I stand corrected. Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » MagiFest is BACK!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL