The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » DeeBee Mazik Cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Has anyone else here gotten a set of these yet?

A pretty nice and unique cup, especially for the price point.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I've sold a few.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-08-13 19:21, Pete Biro wrote:
I've sold a few.

I know, I bought a set from you. I just thought it odd that no one had posted anything about them here. Usually new cups geyt posted here pretty quickley on the Café. But I hadn't seen anyone put up a picture of these cups yet.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Bapu
View Profile
Regular user
with a paltry
161 Posts

Profile of Bapu
I just bought a set too, and I can tell you that all items look much better in the photo than they do in life. But then, don't most things? Smile I'll upload detailed photos when I can get to it.

The set is made in India and is mediocre at best. This is not necessarily a bad thing however. Read on...

A similar set, without the box, is available on the big auction site for fifty bucks less. I wish I had bought that set instead, since the sheesham (Indian Rosewood) box is really nothing to write home about and I would rather tote my set around in a bag anyway. Nevertheless, since I am now the proud owner of the aforementioned box I will go ahead and give it a bit of a spiffing up by replacing the wrinkled, cheap-arse stick-on red felt lining with a nicer, thicker, lining. It could also use better, properly attached latches.

The wand is thick and substantial, just the thing for whacking a busker's table, but would look too cheap or rustic for someone doing a Michael Ammar type class act in a tux. Again, the brass tips look better in the photo than in life.

The cups are not perfectly uniform in size, but they are close... sort of. They nest crookedly. Think "Leaning Tower of Pisa". You can do a convincing cup through cup move with a loud and clattering crash. Again, the noise and commotion could be a plus in a street or renaissance fair setting.

The crochet balls are a match in quality to everything else. Consider tossing them and get some good ones from Rings -N- Things. I'm working with sponge balls from a Goshman multiplying sponge balls set instead because they are bigger and showier, and I want to explore working some sponge ball effects into a routine with these cups. Not a good idea for outdoors on a breezy day I admit.

The tops of the cups, or as Paul Daniels would say "the top of the bottom of the cup" are flat, so most balls tend to roll off. Although, the sponge balls pretty much stay put. Nonetheless, I think that a single light tap with a ball pein hammer should provide enough of a dimple to solve that issue for good. Pray for me on that one.

Am I glad that I bought the set?

Yup (except for the fifty dollar box). The imperfect, chunky, rustic nature of the wand and cups give them an overall wizardly "funkiness" that I like. I plan on using them at my grand-daughter's upcoming birthday party where I don't care if the rambunctious little rascals want to handle the cups or even drop 'em on the floor. Something I wouldn't dream of doing with my Roger Nicot bar cup. Then again, who would take a Roger Nicot bar cup to a kid's party?

My wife hates them. She says my ancient aluminum set from the Ireland Magic Company looks better.

But what does she know and who's the magician around here anyway?

I'm gonna keep them. Smile
Bapu practices law and conjuring in the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee.
francisngkl
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
509 Posts

Profile of francisngkl
Hi,

I think there were some discussion about them ( or at least similar ones ) before:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=115&54

Francis
Carpe Diem, Seize The Day!
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
These are just the same embossed cups that have been sold for a year or two on ebay right? aside from the gold plating.
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » DeeBee Mazik Cups (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL