The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Liquid To Silk (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicWGH
View Profile
Regular user
Covington, LA
164 Posts

Profile of MagicWGH
Hello, looking for the best glass to accomplish this effect. I ordered a cheap one that doesn't seal and doesn't look look like any real wine glass. I see that Abbott's has a couple different wine glasses that look real nice. Is there anyone else who makes high quality mi**** glasses? Preferably sealed!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21953 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, there are 2 currently on the market, one plastic and one glass goblet style, both are about $50.00. Just Google, or - this has been discussed previously, search this section for references using the search feature in the Café.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5272 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
You easily seal the gimmick with a tube of silicone. Take the el-cheap-o version you have and give it a try. It will be way cheaper than keep buying glasses sight unsean that may or may not work.

It doesn't have to look like a "real wine" glass (what ever a real wine glass looks like). Once you pour some colored water in it will "read" to an audience as a real glass.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1747 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
MagicWGH:

Great question....

I've been performing this trick probably for over 25 years or so and use a silk to liquid set that I bought from Fukai, himself, whom< I believe, MAY have been the originator of this effect...when I saw him perform it it was a thing of beauty to behold!

Based on my experience, it looks to me like this version should do the trick:

http://www.abbottmagic.com/Mirror-Glass-Pro-P0662.htm

Also, FYI......as usual, routining and proper preparation, rehearsal and most of all, presentation is a must for this trick.

I do not know if Fukai's original props are available still for sale or not, but if they are I would seriously recommend it to you.

Also, a quick tip:

Prepare the silk before-hand with a small fishing split shot glued in the corner then painted the color of your silk and put a tiny piece of scotch tape at the mirror bottom end where the silk is...its a much prettier, cleaner and smoother revealment this way.

Great trick!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7350 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Fukai was the originator.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21953 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
When I attended Fukai lecture and show he only used an ordinary plastic glass, much like the Blue Mist glasses Abbott's sells.

I have one from Fukai in a cut glass design with removable insert, and a regular ribbed sided plastic glass.

Bazar de Magica makes a very nice sealed mirror glass and is reasonably priced. Their whole line of glass effects are worth owning.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
MagicWGH
View Profile
Regular user
Covington, LA
164 Posts

Profile of MagicWGH
Hey guys, thanks for all the info. I called a few different magic shops and no one had the Mak version in stock. I ended up going with one I found at Steven's. The Diamond Cut Mirror Goblet is the officially marketed name. Thanks for the tip rainboguy. I assume you are saying that the fishing weight allows the silk to fall out when tipped over and the tape holds it in place until it is pulled out? It "dangles"?
Thanks!
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1747 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
MagicWCH:

Yup! Right on the money! Obviously, you want a very light fishing shot........experiment before you glue one in the silk.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
6798 Posts

Profile of bowers
I perform this effect quiet often.
it is a great illusion when performed right.
todd
Scotty Walsh
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
207 Posts

Profile of Scotty Walsh
I saw Salvano do his act with all of the glasses, and he did milk to silk in a different way. He used one of the milk tumbler glasses and you can visually see the milk turn into the silk and he pulls it from the upright glass. Very nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSqW-bL5yMM
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2480 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
I realize I am resu recting an old thread but I thought I would share this.

my daughter does a silk act and we are planning to add the liquid to silk using a M glass. I wanted to mention that I am teaching my daughter my method from long ago.

which is pretty much what most of us do however some one mentioned using a piece of tape in the glass to hold the silk.
that would drive me nuts to tape it night after night or even when I have 2 or 3 shows in one day.
what I did was used a small piece of white velcro.
maybe a piece the size of that slip shot weight. which I also use.

the reason I use white velcro is on the corner of the silk where you stick the velcro you can then use a sharpie or magic marker to color it the same color as the silk.
now it is super easy to stick it in the glass every time and now worries of having to mess with tape. use it over and over no additional cost.

hope that helps

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5696 Posts

Profile of Regan
Nice tip Sam!!! I have a nice Crystal-cut Mirror Goblet that I bought a long, long time ago. I wish I knew who made it, but I don't.
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Liquid To Silk (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL