We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Smash and stab (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David95
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of David95
I was wanting to know if any of you did this on the streets. I was thinking of doing so. There are many versions to chose from what do you use and why? I liked the one Tom Frank uses in his YouTube at the Magic Castle. Spoke with him and he didn't know what version he had as he bought it used. He doesn't do this on the street. I have searched on here some but I would like to get the guys on the street views.
Thanks,
David
tom hughes
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of tom hughes
I briefly used a version of smash and stab on the street. Theoretically it seemed like a sound premise, after all, people love danger right? However I never quite gelled with it and found it anti climactic on the street... I think it's because unlike most magic tricks where something spectacular happens at the end with this effect ( the version I performed was called "spike" I think) the big finish is that something doesn't happen ( e.g. you don't get impaled on a spike). As a result I feel that this effect is fundamentally floored... your mileage may vary.

Another thing to consider is this; with most effects of this type ( possibly with the version made by Randi Rain being the only exception) there is a possibility that you could actually end up impaling yourself on the spike ( look it up on youtube, there are numerous examples, including one where the magician actually impales an audience volunteer)... on the street this possibility is greater; you are doing numerous shows per day ( thus increasing the odds of an accident)and there are many distractions on the street. Personally I'd say don't do it.

best

tom
http://www.ashevillemagic.com
http://www.themagictomshow.com
magician/magic show in asheville w.n.c.
David95
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of David95
That was one of Tom Frank's concerns, the number of times you would do it you might not take it as serious. Spike was one off the ones I was thinking of getting. Penguins site claims spike is 110% safe. I don't know if this is true.
David
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
I heard that Owen Lean (spelling?) from Mario's camp does this on
the street and it plays very well...

Perhaps Mario or Owen can chime in?
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
Bobert
View Profile
New user
Stephenville TX
88 Posts

Profile of Bobert
Owen Lean definitly does it on the streets. I got to watch one of his shows first hand while I was in Wales at the School of Busking. If you wanted advice on how to do it 'safely' I'd reccomend trying to get ahold of him. And as everyone tells you. It's not a question of if if will go badly but when.
David95
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of David95
Actually I have an idea on gaffing the cups to help with the danger. I haven't tried it, but I think it would help some. I have Mario's DVD's and seen it on there. He uses his head. I would love to hear from him. Anyone know how to get in touch?
David
Bobert
View Profile
New user
Stephenville TX
88 Posts

Profile of Bobert
I will see what I can do to get ahold of him.
David95
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of David95
Thank you Bobert. I appreciate the help.
David
Bobert
View Profile
New user
Stephenville TX
88 Posts

Profile of Bobert
I sent you a PM with his contact info. Hope he can help answer your questions.
David95
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of David95
Magicians helping Magicians. Thanks Bobert. I e-mailed him and he responded with some good advice.
David
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Owen Lean is a great Magician and has been performing Smash and Stab on the streets for years. He was also the best man at my wedding. It is a tough call but like ive said Owen has worked this for years. You can watch it on the School of Busking DVD set.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Smash and stab (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL