We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » IT/ITR (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
CdnAndrew
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
149 Posts

Profile of CdnAndrew
Thanks Doug. It looks like it covers different things than Ammar's DVD set. The eBook sounds like a great idea, I might add it to the collection sooner than later. Does it cover lighting issues and other issues?
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6749 Posts

Profile of Dougini
That's a good question. I don't have the book right now. That was lost in the foreclosure, but I plan on getting it again.

It covers the different "weights" of IT and their strengths. It covers hook-ups and several routines. One of the most valuable parts of that book is at the end. It cover's Mike Danata's "Floating Stick"! It is the ONLY place where this stunning effect is explained.

:)

Doug
CdnAndrew
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
149 Posts

Profile of CdnAndrew
Doug,

Thanks for your help. I'll order the ebook soon. At $10, it's not a large purchase (the ebooks I buy are usually more than that!), I Just wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting into Smile I'm positive I'll be able to find any supplemental material through people here, should I need it!
c4rlito
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of c4rlito
II have been using wooly nylon onstage with a spectator for floating rose. Surprising I use a spotlight at 60% and have never had anyone spot it. The spot however must be coming from the same side as the spectator as otherwise the reflection is bouncing oewards them instead of away. I struggled for years until I discovered this little trick. Visit my website and view the showreel to see just how bright I have been able to get this. Hope this helps Smile
Matt
http://www.matthewmcgurk.com
Best Regards,
Matthew McGurk
British Magical Champion
http://www.matthewmcgurk.com
Felman
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Felman
I would recommend starting with JoeJoe's web spinner and vectra line. After that it is probably easier to move on to ITRs.
paradoxmagic
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of paradoxmagic
Kevlar is stronger and does usually pick up most weighty items. Whatever method you use be sure to have a backup. I personally have three ITR's hooked up and wouldn't you know it, I have had to use all three in one performance. Always have a back up and in a worst case scenario, HAVE AN OUT!
David Facer

"Impossible is NOT a word...." TM
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Vectra line: whatever it is made of.

On the great sources (on top of the onees already mentioned by other friends)
Gaetan Bloom has a DVD called Bloomeries. It deals with indirect use of IT: for example to trigger an action without having to resort to a remote control that can create any kind of technical problem or to... (just buy it, it's just so great and off the beaten path, as always)

Don't overlook also The Invisible Thread Manual by Ralf Wichmann-Braco (Lybrary.com)

Hooking borrowed objects to the thread is also a topic. I never liked crumpling a bill to hook it up and always preferred the W fold.

Now I like using both the Fin Jon loops and a reel. The loop announces the effect and allows to show the borrowed bill floating in all directions (before showing it to be unprepared), but then hooking it on an ITR allows to move 3 to 4 meters away and this absolutely KILLS: in the spectators memory the lateral moves of the loop is superimposed with the distance offered by the ITR

Now if you are really serious about IT, consider investing in the flying hank of Sean Bogunia and design an entirely different routine (possibly involving some Gaetan Bloom's ideas or new props like the Daniel Crow Seehorse, a "tamed" butterfly, Kevin James rose or, at the other end of the spectrum (very fugitive levitation effects), a sponge ball levitation between two hands as an explanation of what to wait before performing between the spectator's hands, or a flying coin half way through a one coin routine...
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6749 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hmmm, Brian (B.Ayer) has left the building, so this may be moot. However, if I had to do a show, and my reputation was on the line, I would most assuredly use ONLY:

Vectra I.T.
"EVE" I.E.T.
and for stage only:

Vectra X2 Stage

For practice, or less critical situations, ordinary Woolly Nylon Serging in a dark blue works wonders for me.

Doug
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6749 Posts

Profile of Dougini
http://www.voguefabricsstore.com/images/P/Sulky-2320012.jpg

That's the one I use with @stroSph*re. The second one, Spartacus, is a bit shiny. The Smoke is too, and has to be dulled a bit with fine sandpaper and zebra-striped with a Marks-A-Lot black marker.

Doug
ramsaymagic
View Profile
New user
London
33 Posts

Profile of ramsaymagic
One watch out - some ITRs are only listed as available through James George's own site itrmagictricks.com

My experience:
- Large order placed Aug '13. Nothing received even by Feb '14.
- Customer service is non-existent.
- Email exchanges with James George have been promises of immediate dispatch which have subsequently proven to be false promises.
- I have requested a refund only to be met with irrational allegations that I'm lying and a tirade of ill conceived anti-capitalist abuse.
- If you have ordered from this site watch out for promises that your order is about to ship in the run up to the 45day PayPal dispute deadline.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6749 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Yes, Ramsaymagic is spot ON about James George. Too bad. Something obviously changed. He used to be THE source for the best ITRs. But now that we have the Web Spinner, the old ITR is obsolete.

Doug
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6749 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Look guys, I appreciate all the PMs, I enjoy hearing from each and every one of you...but, enough about James George! Please! Smile I realize I have sung his praises here in the Café, but...look at the date I POSTED it. That was then. He just ain't the same guy.

The number of people I have talked to that have been SHAFTED by that SOB infuriates me! I don't like ITRs and electronic reels and things that need maintenence. If I had to recommend one, I'd say The Spider Pen Pro. That's a $100 though.

I still stand by my Web Spinner. No moving parts, no batteries, no maintenence. Toss your unstripped IT in it, lock the cap and go. I'm getting to old for this gimmicky stuff.

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » IT/ITR (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL