The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Combined 2014 Convention in St. Louis (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
As St. Louis is the closest location to our home, I am considering going to the I.B.M./S.A.M. event.

As a very happy member of the I.B.M., am I eligible to attend without being a member of the S.A.M.?

Thanks

Harris aka dr laugh
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
I don't believe you have to be a member of either orgainisation to attend the conventions. I met several people at the last IBM convention who weren't members.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Will the registration fee be more if I am only a member of the I.B.M.?

Seems like regular yearly conventions the fee is higher to include membership cost to non-current members.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1873 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
On 2012-08-22 12:23, Harris wrote:
Will the registration fee be more if I am only a member of the I.B.M.?

Seems like regular yearly conventions the fee is higher to include membership cost to non-current members.

Harris

Good Question I was going to ask the same thing !
Bill Wells
View Profile
Elite user
Lexington, VA
457 Posts

Profile of Bill Wells
I will check this out for you, but I believe the registration is the same if you are a member of the I.B.M. or the S.A.M. You do not have to be a member of both organizations in order to attend. There is a different fee (higher) for nonmembers and I believe the difference in the fee will be the same as what it would cost to join either organization so that you may use the difference in fees to become a member.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
So if you don't belong to either organization but part of the larger fee goes to a membership do you get to chose what organization you want to belong to? What if I don't want to be a member of either the SAM or the IBM. Can one donate their membership to someone who want's to belomg to either orgainisation?
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
I don't see a issue in charging a higher fee for non members

If this was not the case then the members of SAM / IBM would end up
subsidising non members
Bill Wells
View Profile
Elite user
Lexington, VA
457 Posts

Profile of Bill Wells
Hi Master Payne - I enjoyed finally getting to see you perform in Norfolk!
I will have to refer your question to the registration folks for the Combined Convention as I am not familiar enough with the details to answer your question, I do know that the two organizations share the expenses and revenues equally. I would feel pretty sure you can select which organization you would wish to join and I would guess that you could not transfer the nonmember portion of the registration fee to another. However, since I am not certain, I will refer your question and get back to you.

Bill
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Mr. Wells,
Pleasure meeting you too at the convention. Don't pester the commitee with my query about memberships. It was made in jest. Even though I am curious as to how they decide which group gets the membership and is there a rivalry between them to see how many new members each orgainisation gets at the convention.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
This is a convention I will definitely be attending. One of my close friends will be receiving his 50 year award from the IBM. I think that's Merlin Gold Shield?

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1873 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
I will also be going to this !
weidhaas
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of weidhaas
Hello all,

Here is some information for 2014: one registration fee - It will be the same price for husbands, wives, children, aunts, uncles, cousins, members and non-members.

However, there will be convention advantages if you are a member of either organization. These advantages are still being worked out, but may include special member-only not-to-be-missed events/lectures.

Still in the works, so subject to change.

Mark Weidhaas,
IBM/SAM 2014 Combined Convention co-chair and Registrar
MrBob102
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Virginia
125 Posts

Profile of MrBob102
Kent, The 50 year achievement for I.B.M. members is the "Excalibur" award. 35 years is the "Shield".
weidhaas
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of weidhaas
My post above foresaw "subject to change". Here is the change: the convention will be open for members of SAM or IBM or both (and spouse/children).

Non-members will not be able to attend. Please plan accordingly.

Hey, if you consider yourself a magician, you should belong to both already, right?

Mark Weidhaas
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Combined 2014 Convention in St. Louis (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL