The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Reassurance of 'not really magic' (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Hello Folks,

I'm looking for some help with this.

People ask... "That was a trick right?" for reassurance.

What might be a polite and appropriate response that does not insult the asker or worsen the situation?

Open to constructive suggestions

-Jonathan
...to all the coins I've dropped here
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
"Yes."

Jack Shalom
El_Lamo
View Profile
Special user
Canada
589 Posts

Profile of El_Lamo
"Did you like it? Thank you." implies agreement without saying so.
Life is a system of circumstance presented coincidently in an illusory way.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
"Maybe." Smile
Jordan Piper
View Profile
Veteran user
British Columbia, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Jordan Piper
Tell them "If you believe, no explanation is necessary. If you don't, none will ever suffice," -A quote from Joseph Dunninger.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Several responses come to mind, some covered very well by prior posts.

Try these:

"Honest to gootness, I only cheet a leedle!" - Max Malini

It's an old oriental method - called "Chi-Ting."

If I do it real slow, it's called "Tai Cheat!"

A blunt response (and very New York/New Jersey) "Ya think?!"

Chiding response, "Look, if I could do this for real, I'd be home doing it and making a bundle!"

"Suuuuuure it is! Ab-so-lutely! NOooooo question about it! - Real magic, for sure!" done with a wink and a nod.

"Is WHAT a trick?"

"Nope! That was a miracle. You want a trick, check out the ladies of questionable repute down on (fill in name of street where they hang out)." Grin and wink on this one.

Freudian response - "And what do YOU think, my boy/girl?"

Hope these help!

Le Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
bakerkn
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of bakerkn
Quote:
On 2003-10-20 19:41, JonTown wrote:
Hello Folks,

I'm looking for some help with this.

People ask... "That was a trick right?" for reassurance.

What might be a polite and appropriate response that does not insult the asker or worsen the situation?

Open to constructive suggestions

-Jonathan

Hi Jon,

Interesting question that, to me, depends on the following.... What state of mind do you want to leave them in?

Do you want to provide reasssurance, or leave them uncertain or puzzled?

"Absolutely right." - strong, paternal reassurance.

"Some people think that..." - deliberate uncertainty.

"I'm not really sure myself..." - shared uncertainty.

My preference is to make sure they know it is straight forward trickery, and once I have that basis it helps define my communication.

Kevin
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Okay, this is not exactly polite, but it is reassuring. I once got tht reaction from some trick using rubber bands, or somesuch. I replies, "Why no, it's real, for I Am The Evil God of Office Supplies! MWhahahahaha."

Not for all crowds, but they laughed.

A less off-putting response might be "It's either a great trick, or kind of a lame miracle, which would you prefer?"
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Curtis, Great line about the trick/miracle preference! LOVE it!

Some other responses might be - "Well, in some cultures it would be considered a trick, in others a miracle, in others, a completely pointless finger exercise and in others it's completely missed. I guess it depends on how cultured you are!"

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
ScottSullivan
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of ScottSullivan
You need to figure out who you are as a performer and what impact you're trying to create. Then you'll know how to answer the question. I(and maybe most magicians) would answer some form of "yes". Uri Geller would say, "No". David Blane would just stare at them until they gave up and walked away. All are valid choices, depending upon who you are and what impact you are trying to create.
wayman
View Profile
Special user
England - Sunderland
589 Posts

Profile of wayman
"That was a trick right?"

I don't know! I haven't found out yet!!

If you know how its done will you let me know?
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
Like Wayan, I often shrug my shoulders and say, "I have NO idea how this stuff happens. That was weird. Pretty strange stuff, huh?"

On this subject I avoid the word "Trick" or "Fool you" which both implies that we are making a Sucker out of you. No one wants to be "fooled" so it is important to imply that the magic is somehow happening to both of us. What goes with the "I have no idea" is the look of surprise by us as well. It separates the "us/them" relationship and allows spectators to keep their guard down. If you decide to take on the "I am the one with the power" approach, be prepared for the spectator to begin the analysis of what you did and try to figure it out.

Sorry Wayman (I did not mean to say Wayan). Smile
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
BradleyNott
View Profile
Veteran user
Westwood, CA (UCLA)
351 Posts

Profile of BradleyNott
"Was that a trick?"

"Your mind might tell you so. If you think its merely a trick just remember, you saw it happen."

Kind of an odd approach, but if you emphasize "you saw it happen" then hopefully they will say to their friends..."he did the most amazing thing and I SAW IT HAPPEN!"

Enticing someone to believe in the mystery instead of concealing the method, like a bully, hopefully gives them the feeling that you're trying to share with them not hurt their feelings.
If you were a hotdog, and you were starving...would you eat yourself? I know I would!
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Reminds me of the time I was demonstrating a trick I was going to teach to a group of unruly cub scouts. They were calling out "I saw that" and "You didn't put it there" etc. Since I was about to teach them the trick anyway, my presentation was filled with "It's a TRICK!" over and over again. Everytime someone called out "You didn't really do that!" I retorted "Of course not. IT's a TRICK!!"
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
My reply to "It's a trick" is "oh I hope so" and for some reason it gets a laugh every time.

I guess you had to be there... Smile
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Neale,

You have reminded me of one of the early comic interviews with an astronaut. In the interview he was asked about his space equipment.

Specifically, the question was "Is that a crash helmet?"

And his response was “Oh I hope not."

Does it pay to see how others see it?
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Reassurance of 'not really magic' (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL