The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New Effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
Hey guys,

I worked with my Friend Devont on his effect. It will be available at most shops and preorders are open.

Here is the trailor, hope you all enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll06krUV_cw&feature=plcp

best,

Six
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Says no gimmicks? Very interesting.
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
I clicked this thread despite the fact that the subject line -- "New Effect" -- told me nothing about it.

I read the first post and, despite still having no idea if it was a card trick, a coin trick, a stage illusion, something completely uninteresting to me, I clicked the YouTube link.

I watched the inevitable artsy intro material -- with the company logo, then the magician standing on what looks like a dumpster in a graffiti-strewn alley -- before any description of the effect began.

...despite all of that, I'm interested. Smile

I'll be interested to see some reviews of this effect, especially if the promises made are accurate. An unedited performance video would be very cool, too.
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
murrari
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of murrari
The trailer says: No forcing, no sleight of hand, no memorization and absolutely no gimmicks...!

I'm intrigued... (I could easily accomplish the effect with gimmicks or sleight of hand...)

Looking forward to the reviews of this

AM
Andrew Murray
M.I.M.C. Gold Star
AndrewMurrayMagic

DON'T WAIT FOR INSPIRATION is my brand new e-book with 10 new routines.

APTITUDE is my first PLATINUM e-book with 10 new routines + 'SIGNS' bonus.

PLATINUM MEMBERSHIP is available here.

DNA
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
It appears to me to use a brainwave deck...but maybe not?
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Not if the "No R&S," "No gimmicks of any kind" stuff on the System 6 web site is true.
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
French Drop, it is all true. Murphys magic actually reccomended we put that in there. We just figured mentioning normal cards would suffice but hey they know better then Devonte or I do lol.

Christoper, no brainwave deck but you could accomplish the same effect with it. This effect has many great bonuses. What if you cant get to a magic shop before your gig? The spectators also can handle the cards as well, which also makes it seemingly more Impossible for the spectators.

I also wasnt putting this to sell it, as you can see lol I was more interested in sharing it. Smile But, id be more then happy to answer any questions of have Devonte jump on the forum and answer them.

Best,

Six
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Here's something I wonder: Can the second deck -- where the selected card appears -- be used as a normal deck (and handled by spectators) in subsequent effects? And could the first deck -- the one the card is selected from -- be a gimmicked deck used for previous effects?

I'm just thinking, if the above is true, the effect would not only be a very impressive bit o' magic, but a convenient and organic way to switch from a gaffed deck to a regular one (or one that will pass as regular) in the middle of a card magic act.

Tall order, but as long as we're in the stages of speculating about the effect and its methods (as per the "Latest and Greatest" forum's stated purpose Smile), I thought I'd ask.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
So I have a question: Is this a free choice of decks or a MC? I'm guessing MC.

Still - cool plot, and no gimmicks??? Hmmm.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
Frenchdrop, Im loving the way you think right now Smile You could us a gimmicked deck for the first deck, and then work into the other deck where the selection appears. The only criteria about letting it be spectator handled, may be limited, but then again they can handle the deck, Its hard as I cant reveal the workings of the effect. Does that make any sense? lol

You can do effects with the deck where the cards appear though, but again can be limited. Then again it wouldnt be too crazy to get into a position where it gets back to a full usable deck, just would take some creativy on your part. If you purchase, write to me and Id be happy to create some ideas with you.

Sorry I have to be so vague, don't want to give anything away, especially since it isn't my effect.

@Saysold1 Good question, technically its not a magicians choice, but it can be perceived as it. Its only two objects, so magicians choice doesn't apply, do you know what I mean? No matter which deck they pick, you have soemthing to do it with it.

Whats great about it, is that you can also be creative with this effect, especially for trade shows or branding. Someone contacted almost immediatley after murphys put it on their site so they can do it in a trade show and not have to use an invisible/brainwave deck.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
http://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=49799

DESCRIPTION

The spectator is asked to choose between a red deck and a blue deck of cards. Let's pretend they chose the blue deck. The blue deck is placed inside their pocket (or handed to a friend to hold) until later.

The red deck is slowly spread between your fingers as the spectator is asked to merely think of any card they see. Keep in mind this is a 100% completely free choice!

Without ANY funny moves the card completely vanishes!

Next you ask them to remove the blue deck from their pocket, they are surprised to see that inside is one red card, the mentally chosen card. Strong enough for any Professional act, Easy enough for a Beginner.
NO Forcing Card Selections
NO Rough and Smooth
NO Misprinted Cards
NO Switching Decks
NO Sleight of Hand
NO Memorizing
NO Gimmicks of ANY kind and NOTHING is ever written down.
Use ANY style deck.

"a great rendition of a Classic, absolutely brilliant"
- Doug Edwards
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
That blurb, "a great rendition of a classic," is really intriguing. Is this a new application of an old method, or is it a new method for an old effect (Brainwave, for example)?

Lots of fuel for speculation here, which is what this forum's all about. Smile I really look forward to seeing some reviews!
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Hmmmmmm Color me Intrigued.
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Doing a gimmicked version of this trick would be cool... the spectator could have a brainwave deck in their pocket... and the other deck would be double sided cards (26 random cards x2 on one side... the other 26 x2 random cards on the other). this would mean that each card would have a duplicate so you couldn't do a full fan.

for the performance, you tell the spectator to remember a card as you fan through the deck. spread slowly so that ideally they think of a card in the first half of the deck. then put the deck down on the table and deal the cards off the top of the deck, one at a time, and tell them to say stop when they see their card. you'll deal through the whole and they will not have seen their card. you then ask them what card they were thinking of... they tell you... you pretend to be puzzled and look back through the deck in a fake attempt to locate their card. then you ask them to hand you the deck from their pocket... and you pull out their card from the deck that was in their pocket the whole time.

an additional subtlety to that trick would be to only use 51 cards... cut the deck a few times after they've selected their card... then tell the spectator that you'll be counting each card that is dealt and tell them to remember the number that their card is dealt on, but not to let the magician know when they've seen their card dealt. you'll deal through the whole deck and the spectator will not see their card. additionally, you pretend to look puzzled by the fact that there's only 51 cards and that one card must be missing (their card). then you pull the missing card out of the other deck that was in their pocket the whole time.

then quickly put both decks away before they can ask to examine them (and ideally have 2 other real decks in that same pocket).

alternatively, it could be done as a packet trick. basically a better ending to strange travellers.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I guess people will have to buy it and see.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
.... (continued)

also just realized that if the spectator was selecting a card from a "red" deck (really a red boxed deck)... then the red card could appear face down in the blue brainwave deck. so you can spread through the blue deck, find one red backed card... and it was the card that they were thinking of. you can then also show the faces of the cards in the blue deck (and it wont matter if you spread the cards cleanly while showing the faces of the blue deck and you'll actually have 51 different cards left in the blue deck). so by forcing 1 of 26 cards.. you actually end up a bit cleaner than a traditional brainwave deck because you can show the faces of the cards too if you want.
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
Adam,

Great thinking! Originaly we played with the idea of gimmicks. Devonte and I discussed this effect so many times, and just felt normal cards would be best for us. To be honest you don't know how many times I got to gig and left behind my invisible deck or Peter's Duffies vanished and gone. This kind of allowed us to get both from normal cards.

Keep up the great thinking!

-Six
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
Quote:
On 2012-08-19 23:34, FrenchDrop wrote:
That blurb, "a great rendition of a classic," is really intriguing. Is this a new application of an old method, or is it a new method for an old effect (Brainwave, for example)?

Lots of fuel for speculation here, which is what this forum's all about. Smile I really look forward to seeing some reviews!

Missed this! The thought of card traveling from one deck to another isn't Devontes. Others have done so with gimmicked cards or with just one gimmicked deck. This includes a new idea, and an adaption of a classic Idea. Its just disguised in a great way! Smile To be honest we don't think anyone would have made the connction but we mention the classic in the DVD.
ahzhe
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of ahzhe
Since there is no gimmick, what do I get in the package?
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Sounds too good to be true. Will be looking for reviews of this.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New Effect (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL