The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New Effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
CaMagic51
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of CaMagic51
I just ordered Juxtaposition on special from Hank Lee for $21 and no shipping because it was a pre-order. It is his Magic 1 special for this week. I will be happy to review it when I receive it, but that is likely to be some time from now.
BigSmile
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of BigSmile
@Jeff:
I think from what I know and what I've seen the presentation is slightly different.

In your version (I like the demo by the way) the spectator chooses a card from one deck. Then you look at the second deck and there is one card missing - the selected card. When you go through the first deck you see that the selection has a different colored back.

I think Juxtaposition goes like this: Spectator chooses a card from the first deck. This card disappears from the first deck to be shown in the second deck with a different colored back.

So at least there is a difference in the presentation. But I will buy your download anyway because the c**l is my favourite move and your routine looks fantastic (too).
BigSmile
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of BigSmile
One little note:
If you watch the demo closely you could figure out how Mental Crossover is done. From just reading the ad and watching the trailer of Juxtaposition it could be the same concept but with a different handling.
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1773 Posts

Profile of SIX
Quote:
On 2012-09-04 15:34, Jeff_Mash wrote:
Wow, this looks almost EXACTLY like an effect we've been selling here at MJM Magic for over SEVEN YEARS called Mental Crossover, only our price is less than $10.00 and we've been marketing this since 2005.

I welcome Devonte and others to check it out and see what I mean:

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/mental-crossover-p-59.html

To be fair, I have not reviewed Devonte's DVD, but looking at the demo and Ad Copy, it would appear at first glance that this method is the EXACTLY same. Devonte, if you would like to contact us in private to discuss your method, please do so.....because it would appear as if this is a direct copy of something that we have been selling for quite a long time now as a download to our customers for way less than the cost of your product.

If this is truly a different effect, I welcome you to contact me so that we can clear up any confusion between our two products.

EDIT: I should say that if your method doesn't involve a c**l, then it may be a different handling of our effect. I noticed that you advertise "no sleight of hand" so if yours doesn't rely on the use of a c**l when handling the cards, then let me know because that may be the difference.

Jeff, I will send you a PM and no there is no C**L..To be honest it wouldnt even be relevant in this method. Always happ to chat though, to make sure all is clear and make a new friend Smile

Best,

Six
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1773 Posts

Profile of SIX
Jeff,

I just watched the video.. I do like what you have up. For us the main differences are what Bigsmile pointed out...We also never have them name the card until the very end.....and as you noted the no sleight of hand.

I do apologize regardless, as a creator I know how you feel. So on behalf of myself, Devonte and System 6, I apologize for any likeness that makes you uneasy in any way.

I just wanted to state that publicly, and the we can chat via PM.

Thank you,

Six
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Six, you're a classy person!
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1773 Posts

Profile of SIX
Quote:
On 2012-09-05 11:15, Zombie Magic wrote:
Six, you're a classy person!

And your a sweet talker! haha
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1773 Posts

Profile of SIX
Good News : Juxtaposition is now Available through the site!
Jeff_Mash
View Profile
Veteran user
Bay Area, California
327 Posts

Profile of Jeff_Mash
Hey all - I just wanted to clear the record (because I'm just that kinda guy). Smile I spoke with Six in private, and I agree that Devonte's method is indeed different than what we use with our Mental Crossover download. At first glance, it does appear to be the same effect (which is the ONLY reason why I spoke up), but there ARE differences between the two and I certainly don't have a problem with that. So I apologize if my original post created any confusion between the two effects, but they are indeed DIFFERENT.

Thanks to all who posted information to help clarify things for me!
Your friend in magic,

Jeff Mash, CEO
MJM Magic - "Magic for Magicians, Jokesters, and Mentalists!"
http://www.MJMMagic.com
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8912 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Good news. This is on its way to the UK. can be pre-ordered.
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1152 Posts

Profile of Corbett
In looking through this thread, I'm wondering what this routine has, that is presentationally different, or better than Eddie Joseph's Premonition. A thought of card vanishes from the deck. Only 51 cards remain, etc... I've been performing Premonition for years, and it kills. When I do this routine, the spectator handles the deck the entire time, even takes it out of the box themselves. Looks through the deck, and their thought of card is not there. Cards are counted, and there are only 51. I then remove their thought of card, casually from my pocket. The addition of 2 different colored decks doesn't seem to add anything to the overall effect, in fact, this seems to make it more confusing. Am I missing something?

Can the original deck be looked through again to see that their originally thought of card is no longer there?
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
953 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Corbett--
The originators of this effect may chime in here, but I can tell you what I know from having worked with this concept in the past... and also being a huge fan of Eddie Joseph's Premonition (BTW, I have no connection whatsoever to the marketing of this). Presentationally, the effects are similar, but Juxtaposition does not require a deck to be dedicated to the effect... Premonition does (actually 2 decks). A major difference is that the spectator sees their card before it vanishes. Another difference (minor, yet debatable) is that Premonition requires the spectator to name their card BEFORE the deck is in play. Juxtaposition allows you to vanish a card that is merely being "thought-of" and the spectator need not name it until you are about to open the other deck.

What the guys have done is give us an option for use "in the field" when we have a normal red deck and blue deck and would like to do a thought-of transposition. It's good thinking. Yes, there are trade-offs, but the last time I checked, none of us can do this "for real." I know, from experience, that their particular subterfuge is quite effective in giving the impression that one thought-of card has transferred magically into another deck. Also, with a tiny bit of effort, a well-versed cardician could end Juxtaposition completely clean. I have my own approaches to this that I'd be happy to share for my standard consulting fee!

All of that being said, I still prefer Premonition for stand-up situations, although (again) I have fiddled with it to the point that it would fool Penn & Teller. But, for me, stand-up situations should involve dedicated props... for close-up I prefer to get the most out of standard issue items. I believe Juxtaposition fulfills that requirement. I hope that helps to answer your question.
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.danharlanmagic.com
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1152 Posts

Profile of Corbett
Dan, that does indeed help to tease-out a bit, more of what differentiates the two. Thanks for taking the time to jot all of that down. BTW, loved your lecture a few years ago here in Indy, and your new thinking on prof's nightmare, rocks!
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8912 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Premonition requires 3 decks which is why it is confined to stage only.
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1152 Posts

Profile of Corbett
I don't think anyone was suggesting using Premonition for close-up, though it wouldn't be that difficult.
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
558 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
Dan and Corbett - I had the original dvd that came out a year or so ago. Without giving anything away, the decks are made up of ordinary cards, read into that any way you want. Neither deck can be handed out for examination, in other words, the spectator can not take the first deck in their hands and search for the vanished card. In fact, I think the presentation is such that your patter is that you tell the spectator, "I will spread some cards face up and just think of one that you see." You are holding the deck face up and spreading about half the deck. The second time you spread to show that their card gone, you are again only spreading about half a deck in front of them. Both cases you are spreading the bottom face up portion. So, the spectator is looking at about the same spot where they first saw their card and now it is not there.
Then the blue ( or second deck) is spread face down and only about half the deck before turning the deck face up and finding their card face up. They can remove this card and turn it over to see it has a red back. Thus the spectator concludes this must be the red back card that vanished from deck one.
Actually, the effect does work well and very dirct in presentation if you are not performing for a "let me see those cards" type of spectator. They do give some important handling tips to make this work.
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
558 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
A lot of folk above promised reviews. Did this not ship yet?
MagicMaddy
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of MagicMaddy
ANY reviews on this?...
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
A single review would help.
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
A month later and now crickets?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New Effect (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL