The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2012 entrée: Shawn Farquhar » » Practicing » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
Hello Mr. Farquhar,

How do you practice? Is it going over certain segments of your show at a time and coming back to them later, or running through an entire set to make sure it works?

Do you practice alone, with a few select people who help produce a show (i.e. cameramen, curtain workers, etc), or do you practice by performing live for groups of people?

How long do you practice for; minutes at a time, hours at a time?

How often do you practice with your patter and jokes as opposed to just silently practicing certain moves, sleights, etc?

Do certain people require more or less practice then others?

These are a few questions that I think any magician, whether a beginner or a master should be asking. These questions are often overlooked, but I am quite curious as to what you will say about them. These questions are beneficial for the entire forum, especially myself.

Also, there is a question that I personally want to ask. Where do you store most of your stuff, and where can I get something to store my own props? Suitcases, boxes, backpacks? Me, I am so far mainly a close-up, walk-around, and parlour magician, so I don't have enormously large props that would require trucks.

Thanks for taking the time to answer!
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

Profile of Shawn Farquhar
Hi satellite23,

First, I'm Shawn...Mr. Farquhar was my Father. I appreciate the sign of respect for the way you address me, but we're all here for fun so please just call me Shawn.

I have varied practice routines. When I learn something new I practice it constantly. First just in private and then in front of a mirror, camera, reflection in a window and finally in front of small clumps of people I trust. More often than not it will never been seen by an audience. I have some routines I have practiced for years and will most likely never make it to the stage. Obversely I have added effects to the stage show in just months because they used skills I already had and replaced similar material so patter and jokes could be interchanged.

I find I have the most time to practice in hotel and on planes. Often backstage between shows I will work on new material to keep it fresh on the road.

I usually practice single elements of a show and then when each element is complete I begin to put them together. With a manipulation style show I had always found it best to practice segments rather than one effect at a time. Multiplying candles while loaded with four doves feels a lot different than doing it in a t-shirt.

As for the script/patter and jokes in my show I don't rehearse it at all. I do so many shows a year it is basically engrained into my head. When I do a full routine in practice I do go through the basic idea of my script knowing full well it will be slightly different but with the same meaning and feeling. I hope that makes sense.

I also have a wonderful group of magicians in my area in which to show, share and learn. The IBM Ring #92 is awesome as is the SAM #95. We also have a small group called The SIX and we share stuff readily.

There is a famous quote: "Practice makes perfect". I believe this is incorrect as practice really makes permanent. To be perfect one must practice perfectly. Just because you put in hours of work doesn't make it right. You need to practice it slow and steady, correctly and build up to regular speed. Once the technique is at your acceptable level you must then add the music, words, and acting to make it a full package. So many young performers today expect the effect to be enough. They look for the "wow" moment and miss the entire structure behind what makes a trick into magic.

As for your question of storage. I have a trailer and nine garages at my home. It's still not enough as I have taken over the formal dining room, the rec room and my office with more magic. I have so much magic I have no idea where I will continue to put things as I acquire more magic. Lots of the stuff is in ATA Cases, some in wooden crates, others in boxes and bags while some is just strewn about the house! I think anyone who reads this and knows me well will tell you I have one cool house of magic. I call it "Chateau Farquhar - The House that Cards Built".

Thanks for dropping in and asking me a question. Hope I answered it well for you.

-shawn
Aidan G
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Aidan G
Smile great question and great answer Smile really good read
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
Thanks, Shawn.

I'm only 17, and my parents have taught me to treat adults with respect, and that entails calling them by their last name. Smile

Thanks for the advice, you did answer the questions thoroughly. I have enjoyed reading the other topics as well; who would've known that so much great advice and discussions could be found within a week's worth of posts.
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

Hey satellite23,

I hope you knew I was joking about the name thing.
It's pretty cool that someone who's 17 has such awesome manners and style.
Glad you are enjoying the posts.
Remember everything I write is just my opinion.
Smart folks seek out lots of opinions and then make there own...

Keep well and busy,

-shawn
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Quote:
On 2012-08-22 20:54, satellite23 wrote:
Thanks, Shawn.

I'm only 17, and my parents have taught me to treat adults with respect, and that entails calling them by their last name. Smile

Shawn...

This means you're OLD! lol! Smile

Seriously...GREAT READ!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

Yes Christopher,

I am well aware of how *** old I am... thanks! lol
This year was to be the year I celebrated turning 50, but I missed my birthday by flying through the international date line.
I went from June 6th to June 8th ...
That means I didn't turn a year older, I just decayed ...

-shawn
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
50 isn't old if your a tree. LOL Don't know what your going to do when you get to be my age???

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
magic1178
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of magic1178
Hey Shawn, about 10 or so years ago I was at a magic jam session in Victoria British Columbia AKA The Round Table.

You had lectured their before, but this night you just showed up to jam a little.

Also, a few of us went to Tim Horton's after for a donut and a coffee.

As the night went on,and you were just playing around jamming,I was thinking to myself,

HOLY COW,is this what its like,all these magicians at this level,I was so in awe of the magic,I was so excited I didn't sleep at all that night thinking about all the cool things that can be accomplished with magic(not a wink)

I thought,"Now that's a Magician,are all magicians like that?"

the answer is NO,you are one of a kind Shawn,giving to all that love magic.

thank you
Derek Johnston
Derek Johnston
Aractus
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of Aractus
Quote:
On 2012-08-22 16:22, satellite23 wrote:
Do certain people require more or less practice then others?

You know there's a certain amount of things in life I sometimes practise less than I should. At the moment I'm in a phase of no alcohol and no takeaway which I started at the beginning of winter (June 1st for all you northern-hemispherians), a phase that will probably last until August 1 2013 (my 30th birthday). But I remember when I was your age, 17, I never drank alcohol - well I mean I drank it maybe 3 times when I was 17, and just a handful of times when I was 18, 19, 20, 21, 22... seems over time you allow yourself to get into "bad habits" if you don't set good habits. Or at least into the habits of eating too much takeaway and drinking alcohol more often than is probably healthy. And I think a lot of people need to practise a lot of things more, myself included. I know people who have sometimes done the "Feburary cleanse" thing where they give up alcohol for just that one month, and I had a bet against a friend of mine as to who could last the longest giving up takeaway food (which I won, and lasted for less time than my current phase which I'm free to break as soon as my willpower fails me). Anyway, just thought I'd add this it may be relevant, or it may just be my vanity gracing your thread with its presence.

I'll let you in on one more secret - when I was your age and in year 12 my least favourite subject was English (odd since I actually love writing) so when I was 18 I couldn't spell for crap. And it showed on internet forums, and I hated it, so I started practising proofreading to fix my inept ability to write correctly; something that now at 29 I'm again practising *** it!
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
548 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
Quote:
On 2012-08-22 17:01, Shawn Farquhar wrote:

As for your question of storage. I have a trailer and nine garages at my home. It's still not enough as I have taken over the formal dining room, the rec room and my office with more magic. I have so much magic I have no idea where I will continue to put things as I acquire more magic.

-shawn

Hello Shawn,

Ever think of having a garage sale? If so, I'm in!

-Mark
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

Derek: Thanks for saying such nice things. The Victoria Magic Circle was my first magic club and it is filled with incredible magicians. Most of my mentors were from that group and they were just as giving. I recall late nights at Tony Eng's home (2 AM) crying about losing a girlfriend, while he cooked me us steaks and blew my mind with his incredible card magic. The long bus rides home from John Gilliland's home that seemed to just be minutes because my brain wouldn't stop thinking about all the cool things he had just shown me or the stern voice of Carl and Lottie Hemeon who would constantly remind me to slow down, stop moving around on the stage and brush the hair out of my eyes! I really miss them all so much.

Aractus (Daniel): I love the challenge of challenging myself too. Each year I commit to changing something just for the sake of change. Two years ago I decided I would give up all forms of carbonated drinks. At the time I decided this I was drinking a couple of litres a week. I basically stopped drinking any Coke, Pepsi, Root Beer, etc. I didn't set a deadline for how long this test would be, I just decided to stop. Other than a few months ago when Hannah wanted to make her own Root Beer from scratch I have yet to drink the stuff again. I had to try Hannah's concoction, which was really quite good! Other things I have given up in the past include Coffee. I figure I manufacture enough caffeine on my own! Best of luck with your challenge ...

Ba Ba Booey (Mark):A garage sale huh? Not a bad idea...

-shawn
G. LaBarre
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
121 Posts

Profile of G. LaBarre
What would you do with the money from your Magic garage sale?
Probably buy another estate sale of Magic anyway? just poking fun
Glen Alan - "The HOW in your Magic should be Secondary to the WOW in your Magic."
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

Oh, buy another estate, hey that's a great idea... lol
Aractus
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of Aractus
Shawn, when I started in June I went completely without coffee as well, but actually I was giving up energy drinks not coffee. The rules of my diet are determined by me, and the rule wasn't not to drink coffee, so I went without it for about 2-3 weeks, I could have done it indefinitely if I'd chosen to, still could. The idea though, to give up alcohol for a year, was something I had when I was 26 or 27, we'll say about three years ago. Still better late than never. It's not as if I was unhealthy in any case. But it had increased my energy levels that's for sure!
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

Daniel,

I applaude your ability to just give something up. I do it too, but to prove to myself I am not a slave to anything or anyone. I choose each step in my life, be it diet, career, life. It's fun to know you can do what you want ... when you want. Kudos to you.

-shawn

p.s. Not sure I could ever give up beer... guess I'll have to try one day.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2012 entrée: Shawn Farquhar » » Practicing » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL