The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Magicians can't make magic shows anymore, because of the cups? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..17~18~19 [Next]
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1303 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I like this post for 3 resons,

Oh I mean 1, 2, 3, resons
or if your German 1! 2! 3!
Or if your greek I ii ii
Or American theres 1 thers,,,,,,

Jimmy you are spot on. Jimmy I was working on queen street in Auckland. There were two other magicians. One working with a table doing card and coins a nother doing rope and some comady stuff. I was doing rope and egg bag. £ magican diffrent style diffrent effects.

A guy stoped and spoke to me and asked if we all came from the same pace. I explained were all independts he was just blown away.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Scotty Walsh
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
207 Posts

Profile of Scotty Walsh
Right. Watching the routine line for line and move for move is a little like watching the 21 card trick. I can't do it anymore. I will make up an excuse or something, but I can't do it. I can't take the counting.

I worry there will be a day where I'll see the big cups and the bowler and the pouch and just move on -- and the guy will do something totally original.
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
I'm soooo glad that my performance is for non-magicians as opposed to fellow magicians, otherwise I might be worried.

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
Sir richard,

I'm sure you do a mean 21 card trick that makes the women cry and the men have dreams.

ever seen the marlo one, he made that trick fun...instead of like math class with a hang over.
FatHatter
View Profile
Regular user
I'm here you're there and that's that.
137 Posts

Profile of FatHatter
Math class with a hang over?
Now that's a presentation!
It practically writes itself!!
Wonder how fast I could get it to market?
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
I think everyone that has posted here on this thread is great and thank you so much for not gettin mad at me.

I was trying to give another side of the story...

I thought I would state the obvious....what we all used to believe....that magicians create magic shows.

the only reason so many people hadn't thought of these things that we all used to believe, is because they have been buying into all the "sell out" circular logic that seems to be the ONLY voice out there now.

it's great we have the magic Café to express ourselves.
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
You are to be commended for striving to keep magic a performing "art".
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
WilliamMckeehan
View Profile
New user
Moriarty, NM
40 Posts

Profile of WilliamMckeehan
Quote:
On 2012-08-25 03:34, Eduardo wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-08-24 20:24, WilliamMckeehan wrote:
I am glad I'm not the only one that noticed everyone doing the same cups and balls act. Makes me not want to use my 2 cup routine I been working on for a few years.

low self esteem?

That is probably the problem.
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
Quote:
On 2012-08-25 11:49, jimmy talksalot wrote:
Sir richard,

I'm sure you do a mean 21 card trick that makes the women cry and the men have dreams.

ever seen the marlo one, he made that trick fun...instead of like math class with a hang over.
Naaah! I've always hated that trick! However, thanks to the late Jim Cellini, I do a mean "Insurance Policy" trick! Hey, maybe we should all go after Gazzo since he shamelessly marketed his cups & balls routine. I mean you can buy a pouch, Gary Animal "Gazzo" cups, Bowler hats, everything, then learn how to do it on the DVD he sells, right? Maybe we should fire a few rounds at the perpetrator at the root of the problem, hmmm? Just a thought. (I really love stirring things up and bashing sacred cows...can you tell? You ought to have read all the flak I got on the "Coin Trickery" forum when I told them that I thought Mr. Tango's T.U.C. was "over rated and over priced," you'd of thought I'd spit on his mother or something.)

Here's a question, what kind of hats are those "copycats" getting? Just curious. BTW, I never signed a contract prior to learning magic stating that I'd devote myself exclusively to making my show an art form. And who says that I don't have a magic show anyway? Have you ever seen me perform?

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
I'm sure your a great performer. I'm not after you sir richard, nor would I try. I'm sure your a great guy and I love opinionatd people and I'm sure your a great performer.

frankly I don't care what you do man. if you want to do the snapper routine right off the instructions have a ball man I don't care, no really. that's not my point. my point was about street guys all doing the gazzo routine as a finale and magicians not creating magic shows.

are you mad because you don't think magicians should bother trying to create magic shows or you theink they all should do gazzos show. I'm confused.

but I think I may have hit a nerve with you.

and if you think I should go around yes man-ing to every sell out money guy and not stick up for people trying to be artists, then yeah I hope I did rattle your cage....but I'm not sure this is the case here but I am confused.

no really I'm not pulling your leg I'm not sure what your goin on about or where I've gone wrong here.

Posted: Aug 25, 2012 2:14pm
I love the insurance policy it used to be a staple in my show when I was a lot younger, I got all the different ones on the market and began making my own.

I got fooled bad by that trick the first time I ever saw, an 80 year old magician sold that to me after doing a number on me with it. I saw it in a stack of stuff and asked what it was. now this was an old school place and you had to be a magician to shop there, so he said, "oh man, your supposed to know what that is...."and began his routine, but I didn't know it. he used his age to get me, his hands shook and he dropped cards and looked confused right up to the point I saw the giant print...i bought it that momment.

I would love to see someone close with that instead of that same cup routine.

yep a snapper, a spong bunnies, and close with the insurance policy, bravo anything at this point would show a little originality even if they were store bought instruction driven patter.

of course wouldn't it be better for the magician if his show stood out, because it was his creation instead of a magic shops creation.

Posted: Aug 25, 2012 2:17pm
Sorry I'll try and double space again, I've been forgetting
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
Quote:
On 2012-08-25 13:56, jimmy talksalot wrote:
I'm sure your a great performer. I'm not after you sir richard, nor would I try. I'm sure your a great guy and I love opinionatd people....and I'm sure your a great performer.

frankly I don't care what you do man. if you want to do the snapper routine right off the instructions have a ball man I don't care, no really. that's not my point. my point was about street guys all doing the gazzo routine as a finale......and magicians not creating magic shows.

are you mad because you don't think magicians should bother trying to create magic shows or you theink they all should do gazzos show. I'm confused.

but I think I may have hit a nerve with you.

and if you think I should go around yes man-ing to every sell out money guy and not stick up for people trying to be artists, then yeah I hope I did rattle your cage....but I'm not sure this is the case here but I am confused.

no really I'm not pulling your leg I'm not sure what your goin on about...or where I've gone wrong here.


I'm not mad Jimmy, I love discussing things like this because everybody can learn something. When I close with Rub-a-dub-dub, people remember it long afterwards! I get repeat business as a result. Where I live nobody, and I do mean nobody does cups and balls! Mostly they're card people. The thing that I think you may not realize is what you are expecting where you're at is going to be rare, most people are not that creative. Many of us have learned what we do from books and video media. We don't have you, Kozmo, a Tony Slydini or a Jim Cellini here to teach us, so we learn as best we can. I don't do the Vernon, Marlo, or Slydini cups & balls, and that's because everybody else in my club is doing a form of it. The only thing that changes is the final load. When I 1st saw Cellini doing C. & B. I went home and developed my own routine. It was totally lame! When I saw Bill Malone doing Rub-a-dub-dub I said to myself "I can do that!" And I have for several years now. It's a bit different than the norm.

Just remember, many of us are trying our best to become professional enough to get paid regularly at this so that we don't have to just do it on the side in addition to our "day job." There's no shame in making a living at magic. I play tournament quality Chess, but I'm no Bobby Fisher. He is credited for turning chess into an art form. I just play because I truly enjoy playing it. Every so often a prodigy shows up and all of the Chess guys are hoping they've got another Bobby Fisher in the making! Again, that's going to be a rare occurrence, not the norm. And that's what you want to see, a rare occurrence in magic/busking. When you do just remember that's not the norm. It never will be! Greatness always stands out because of the rarity & genius of the individual creating it in comparison to the mediocrity of the rest of us! I really hope to meet you some day as I think I could truly learn a lot from you. I respect a man who stands up for what he believes and doesn't back down! I hope you're the same kind of person!

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
FatHatter
View Profile
Regular user
I'm here you're there and that's that.
137 Posts

Profile of FatHatter
Quote:
When I 1st saw Cellini doing C. & B. I went home and developed my own routine. It was totally lame!


And sad to say that's where you stopped. You had a great beginning, being inspired and taking the first step. You allowed a first attempt that failed, that anyone worth their weight in onions would be expecting, to derail you, then take that fatal leap to "I can't".
Not only "I can't" but anyone else that does is, and I quote:
Quote:
a rare occurrence, not the norm
.

Simply not true. I agree that it should be more of an occurrence, more the norm, but more and more are being mentally defeated and accepting, "I can't". There are still plenty that don't though.

You should have seen my first attempt at a C&B routine. I would have been super duper happy with totally lame.
It was a drawn out story about a damsel in a castle and something about diamonds which were to be the final load. I was so focused on that load that everything else sucked. The load was great but couldn't save the atrocity of a nightmare bit. I learned a few things and applied them. Next time was better but started looking like all the others. Now my routine is honed, has zero 3 ball play, doesn't use pockets or a servante, gets right to the meat of the matter, floors folks, and is MINE. Am I through with it? Nope. The next step is to clean it up even more by using a little something that Mr. Gunn has inspired me to investigate.

The thrust of this post is that creating isn't difficult and it's what Magicians do. Learning from a book leads to the most creativity I think. Having a mentor helps with technique, knowledge, etc. but I don't see how one would increase your creativity. I could be wrong.

Quote:
Just remember, many of us are trying our best to become professional enough to get paid regularly at this so that we don't have to just do it on the side in addition to our "day job."
.
Take a step towards professionalism and say it with me now, "I can!".
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
Quote:
On 2012-08-25 17:28, FatHatter wrote:
Quote:
When I 1st saw Cellini doing C. & B. I went home and developed my own routine. It was totally lame!


And sad to say that's where you stopped. You had a great beginning, being inspired and taking the first step. You allowed a first attempt that failed, that anyone worth their weight in onions would be expecting, to derail you, then take that fatal leap to "I can't".
Not only "I can't" but anyone else that does is, and I quote:
Quote:
a rare occurrence, not the norm
.

Simply not true. I agree that it should be more of an occurrence, more the norm, but more and more are being mentally defeated and accepting, "I can't". There are still plenty that don't though.

You should have seen my first attempt at a C&B routine. I would have been super duper happy with totally lame.
It was a drawn out story about a damsel in a castle and something about diamonds which were to be the final load. I was so focused on that load that everything else sucked. The load was great but couldn't save the atrocity of a nightmare bit. I learned a few things and applied them. Next time was better but started looking like all the others. Now my routine is honed, has zero 3 ball play, doesn't use pockets or a servante, gets right to the meat of the matter, floors folks, and is MINE. Am I through with it? Nope. The next step is to clean it up even more by using a little something that Mr. Gunn has inspired me to investigate.

The thrust of this post is that creating isn't difficult and it's what Magicians do. Learning from a book leads to the most creativity I think. Having a mentor helps with technique, knowledge, etc. but I don't see how one would increase your creativity. I could be wrong.

Quote:
Just remember, many of us are trying our best to become professional enough to get paid regularly at this so that we don't have to just do it on the side in addition to our "day job."
.
Take a step towards professionalism and say it with me now, "I can!".
It's not that "I can't," it's that I learned sometime back that you can't argue with success. You seem to think you're one of the better ones, and you well may be. However just look at how many magicians there are out there NOT being that creative compared to the relatively few that are! And by following what I'm doing I'm getting more bookings. Just got another one yesterday, as a matter of fact. You see the lay audience doesn't know where my routine comes from, only other magicians, and who cares what they think? They aren't paying my bills or booking my shows. 3 years ago I set my goals regarding what I'm doing, and I'm getting close to reaching the last one. Of course I don't use Gazzo's routine, but if I did it would kill as nobody around here has seen it! I am thinking about using David Regal's routine sometime in the future...you see, I only steal from the best! ;>)

p.s.; If it makes some on here feel better, most of my material is original, however there's just some stuff I think can't be topped!

p.p.s.; you wrote: "Take a step towards professionalism and say it with me now, "I can!". I already did when I saw Bill Malone doing rub-a-dub-dub! "I can & I did!"

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
Fathatter,

bravo.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
I think Fathatter really needs to Open his eyes!
Image


On second thought, Nevermind now I know why he keeps them closed.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Where can I get a pair of those glasses?
Eduardo
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of Eduardo
Quote:
On 2012-08-25 20:47, spartacus wrote:
Where can I get a pair of those glasses?

Make you own glasses with your art.

Posted: Aug 25, 2012 9:28pm
This post is great and inspiring. unfortunately there are some things I did not understand by language barrier.
Good Sunday to everybody.
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
Yeah, I know Art lets see, there was Art Linkletter, Art Godfrey, Art Miller, Art Garfunckle!

Sir Richard.

Posted: Aug 25, 2012 9:44pm
Madhatter, I don't understand, why would you think that I want to emulate you? I'm confused. If what I'm doing is working why change it? That goes against the laws of success. When I was in the insurance business, I out-produced most of the other agents in the office by learning my "performance" word for word and never deviating. I believe you when you say that what you're doing is working, but the same holds true for me. I'm sorry that some of you don't understand that. I don't know but the phrase "magician police" keeps creeping into my mind.

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
Madhatter, I don't understand, why would you think that I want to emulate you? I'm confused. If what I'm doing is working why change it? That goes against the laws of success. When I was in the insurance business, I out-produced most of the other agents in the office by learning my "performance" word for word and never deviating. I believe you when you say that what you're doing is working, but the same holds true for me. I'm sorry that some of you don't understand that. I don't know but the phrase "magician police" keeps creeping into my mind.

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
Eduardo
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of Eduardo
Quote:
On 2012-08-25 21:39, Sir Richard wrote:
Yeah, I know Art lets see, there was Art Linkletter, Art Godfrey, Art Miller, Art Garfunckle!

Sir Richard.

That some great stuff to your show.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Magicians can't make magic shows anymore, because of the cups? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..17~18~19 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL