The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Magicians can't make magic shows anymore, because of the cups? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16~17~18~19 [Next]
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
Gary t

good job on creating a your own cup routine, but why not try and do tricks you already know.

when you first go out, you should only go out with the 3 tricks you have always done, that never fail, that you always carry with you any way.

don't go out with experimental stuff till you got a show put together, then you can throw that stuff in the middle where it's safe.

if your a card guy I would suggest for you to just do a card show and maybe throw in a non card eye candy sight gag. you can just do some sets over and over for days and weeks, till it starts to turn into a show from repetition...and don't forget to hat em.

I have written all about this in my free blog and also in my book.

thanks and good luck,

if your gonna start working the street, please choose another trick than the cups for your own good.

because there is so many street guys doing it.

we're magicians we don't need only one trick, we can do anything.
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
Thanks for the advice, I kind of like the cups but I probably should cut them out just for the sake of not doing the same thing everybody else is doing, any advice on how to hat a crowd? I've gotten a few tips performing close up, but I've never really went out looking for them, I understand the idea of sort of bringing up the idea of tips throughout the performance rather than just springing it on them at the end, but I'm just not really sure how to do that sucessfully
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
CARD TRICKS ARE BORING!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I would not argue with that man and do sponge rabbits for him!
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
Card tricks are not boring, people love them, maybe the way you're doing card tricks is boring, but card tricks are not boring.
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
http://jimmytalksalot.blogspot.com.es/

go here I have a FREE instructional blog.

many of the folks who have take the time to study it have gone on to be full time pros with their own created shows.

it shows you how to street perform for a living, yet still be a magician...instead of a clone or a salesman doing a couple of tricks as an exuse to hold people to get money out of them.

infact you get see on this forum where it is talked about under the "if you wanna learn how to street perform" thread.
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
Thanks
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
920 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
Jimmy,

First, let me say that I think you are one of the greats. Your magical skill, your performance presence, your courage to present an original and funny show that is extremely family friendly, are qualities that I respect in you. I hope to meet you one day and learn something from you. I know there is plenty to learn.

Now, I have a problem with anyone who says that they do what they do solely for the "ART." The truth is, that is ********! If anyone does something just for the "ART", they do it as a hobby or they are likely to starve to death or die of exposure. Very, very, very, few historical "ARTISTS" were famous before they met their demise. The truth is we all have to eat. We need a warm place to sleep at night. We all have to live.

We all do this for money, especially if it is our major source of income. That is an evil of the world that is impossible to overcome. I like to tell people that a happy, smiling audience having a great time is at "least" half of why I do what I do. The other half is 25% for money and 25% because I love magic. If I was out there doing it "for the art" I wouldn't need hat lines. I could just eat my own happiness and pay the electric bill with audience laughs.

I remember reading several times that the best way to be successful and happy was to find something that you love doing. Then get so good at that, that people pay you for it. The key word there is PAY. Busking is HARD work. It is as hard as any manual labor. Not a single person on this planet would do it if not for money and if they did they wouldn't do it long.

Finally, I want to say that in my mind, what you actually meant was that the copy cats and the "money guys" don't actually care about magic at all. They would be just as happy selling time shares or used cars, as long as they were getting paid. This attitude hurts our art. I can get behind that. I know when you love something it is hard to articulate your feelings when you are talking about people that seem to be trying to destroy that thing. I think we should Wand them to death instead. The magician's version of stoning. But that is for another topic.

A fact of the world is that if something doesn't pay you, you cannot do it for a living.

Good luck in Spain!
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Shakespeare Got To Get Paid Son!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5331 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
There's no art without money
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
920 Posts

Listen to Devious, you will never get paid if you do card tricks. Why, you ask? Because, card tricks are boring. Allow me to explain, since Devious just thought it was so obvious you already knew:

First, an audience on the street has the attention span of a severely ADD 4 year old.

Second, you are standing at your pitch, the nearest audience member is 7 feet away, besides the spectator participating in your card plot. If you have a big crowd, the farthest spectator is like 15 feet away and you don't have a camera and big screen like Lance Burton or David Copperfield. No one knows what the hell is going on.

Third, everyone is turned off by card tricks because their uncle always did bad ones at the family get together.

If I am mistaken on any of these points or there are some that others more experienced than I think are more valid, please add!

I love all of you guys and just wanted stir the **** bucket a bit!
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5331 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I do a card trick?
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
I will admit that I perform a sequence with a jumbo I.D.
I don't do card tricks, but when I do it's the I.D.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
Fact is I'm not a street guy, at least not at this point, I have a LOT to learn, but I've been doing cards for about 3 years now, which isn't long but I feel confident in my ability to entertain with a deck of cards, so what I'm going to do is put a routine together with cards, and work on the routine I used friday to get the rough spots out of it, if the card routine can't hold up to the other routine then that's that, if it does then I think I'll be alright, there's a festival coming up in october in my home town, its really right about the one time of the year that people are out and walking about in that town, I think it has something to do with the population of about 300. whichever routine works best for me I'll be using there
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
Quote:
On 2012-09-03 21:43, Gr8gorilla wrote:
Listen to Devious, you will never get paid if you do card tricks. Why, you ask? Because, card tricks are boring. Allow me to explain, since Devious just thought it was so obvious you already knew:

First, an audience on the street has the attention span of a severely ADD 4 year old.

Second, you are standing at your pitch, the nearest audience member is 7 feet away, besides the spectator participating in your card plot. If you have a big crowd, the farthest spectator is like 15 feet away and you don't have a camera and big screen like Lance Burton or David Copperfield. No one knows what the hell is going on.

Third, everyone is turned off by card tricks because their uncle always did bad ones at the family get together.

If I am mistaken on any of these points or there are some that others more experienced than I think are more valid, please add!

I love all of you guys and just wanted stir the **** bucket a bit!
Soooo, what about Gazzo's "tossed out deck" routine? I personally do card tricks and nobody's complained about being bored yet.

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
920 Posts

Kozmo,

I would wager that you could entertain an audience with a pair of Chinese stix for 20 minutes so you don't count.

Chinese sticks are kinda cool though and on second thought better than most card tricks.

Devious,

I too do one card trick and it is I.D. just not jumbo.
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
Quote:
On 2012-09-03 22:49, Gr8gorilla wrote:

Chinese sticks are kinda cool though and on second thought better than most card tricks.

ouch, okay, that hurt a little.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
920 Posts

The thing is, any magic can be entertaining. I believe that you should do what you know best. You need to do 3 tricks so well that you can do them under any circumstances. Then you can focus on actually entertaining people.

Anyone can do tricks but not everyone can entertain.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5331 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Gr8.... Ok that's fair Smile
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
920 Posts

Remember,

The I.D. and the tossed out deck are not card tricks. They are mentalism that happen to use cards as a test condition.

Gary,

The sticks are visual and fun. I try to do visual effects on the street. If they are not visual they need to be simple or get to the revelation quickly. Also, often when busking you are required to entertain people from ages 2-99. All the kids younger than 13 will not likely be impressed by card tricks. They will love some Chinese stix though. Especially if you make it happen in their hands!

Make sense?

There are some successful card guys on the street. I personally think cards are a rough road for busking. Try some simple visual stuff and compare your audience's reactions.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Magicians can't make magic shows anymore, because of the cups? (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16~17~18~19 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL