The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Magicians can't make magic shows anymore, because of the cups? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17~18~19 [Next]
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
Right, well cards are deffinately what I do best, I've deffinately got 3 tricks completely perfected, more really but that's not the point. I feel that I'm pretty good at entertaining people, just busking isn't my home turf, it's kind of new territory for me and it's something I've got to work at, you say that cards won't cut it, but I'm sure you'll understand if I have to try it for myself rather than just taking your word for it.
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
Oh, I typed my last response before I refreshed and saw what was wrote last, you're right about the age bit, that's an obstical I didn't take into account, it's not really a problem where I'm at now but it will be at places like the festival
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
920 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
Gary,

Most of the guys here will help you out if you have any questions. Devious, Jimmy, and Kozmo are all helpful. I will do my best but I am not quite as seasoned as them.
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
Thanks, I'll probably have a lot of questions, but I gotta perform more before I figure out what they are haha,right now I'm scrolling through Jimmy's blog, lots of useful information
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Image
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On 2012-09-03 14:12, jimmy talksalot wrote:
It's also about calling these guys on their c*** that their piling up everywhere in our industry, to brainwash new guys into their marketing scheme.


Marketing implies sales. And only one guy mentioned in this thread sold anything so far as I know. Yet you're complaining about those who bought the product instead of those who marketed and sold it.

Jimmy, I hear what you're saying. I just think you might be trying to cut off your nose to spite your face.

You've clearly complained about Gazzo clones & cups and balls in particular. As well you've stated clearly you think many magicians just aren't able to create their own magic shows. As you put it, "isn't that what magicians do?"

But I'll bring it up again, only this time in the form of a question.

How many people have to perform Sonny Holiday's bits before they're, "Sonny clones?"

How many people have to lean over and pull out a cigar the way Sonny does before you'd complain about them?

How many people is too many to sound like Sonny (as many do with Gazzo's British accent)?

Let me be clear, I'm not trying to attack you. I just want you to understand the not so subtle hypocrisy of your argument has not fallen on deaf ears.

Again...fat hats to all.
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On 2012-09-03 02:31, magicalaurie wrote:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=4837882


Oh the good old days.
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Quote:
On 2012-09-03 21:43, Gr8gorilla wrote:
...

Third, everyone is turned off by card tricks because their uncle always did bad ones at the family get together.

If I am mistaken on any of these points or there are some that others more experienced than I think are more valid, please add!

I love all of you guys and just wanted stir the **** bucket a bit!


Ok, I will bite and stir the pot a bit in the other direction...
as this is not necessarily true.

I think the only people that don't like card tricks are magicians, but
let's leave that for another thread.

I myself do a multi-selection card routine and/or a card to pocket
routine that plays into my act. I have received a lot compliments
and it seems to be one of the best parts of my show. The act itself
works as a sidewalk show that can work into half-circle show. Albeit,
that I may not be more or less experienced than you so your miles
may vary on my own opinions...but I am out there more often than not...

So not to de-rail this thread, but I had to respond to this so not mis-lead
the new guy on the block, let me bring it all back to the original post.

Cards, are just another tool in the toolbox that can be used to perform
and entertain the crowd emphasizing yourself and/or your character. So
this can be leeway to change this thread from a rant to a discussion of
ideas on how to make your show more unique. Perhaps, one solution is to
use those effects that others thought would never work on the street...
wait a second...rewind...someone already said that...

But anyway, here is guy doing card tricks on the street...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFIIPrAmzbE
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Image


Do you really think laymen don't find them boring at all? Seriously?
I mean really? In the end it's about the repertoire and the execution.

So if you have the personality and some humour to deliver it in an
entertaining fashion, then I look forward to being brought back from
the dark side.

What are you doing to insure that your card tricks aren't boring?
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Quote:
On 2012-09-04 00:57, solrak29 wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-09-03 21:43, Gr8gorilla wrote:
...

Third, everyone is turned off by card tricks because their uncle always did bad ones at the family get together.

If I am mistaken on any of these points or there are some that others more experienced than I think are more valid, please add!

I love all of you guys and just wanted stir the **** bucket a bit!


Ok, I will bite and stir the pot a bit in the other direction...
as this is not necessarily true.

I think the only people that don't like card tricks are magicians, but
let's leave that for another thread.

I myself do a multi-selection card routine and/or a card to pocket
routine that plays into my act. I have received a lot compliments
and it seems to be one of the best parts of my show. The act itself
works as a sidewalk show that can work into half-circle show. Albeit,
that I may not be more or less experienced than you so your miles
may vary on my own opinions...but I am out there more often than not...

So not to de-rail this thread, but I had to respond to this so not mis-lead
the new guy on the block, let me bring it all back to the original post.

Cards, are just another tool in the toolbox that can be used to perform
and entertain the crowd emphasizing yourself and/or your character. So
this can be leeway to change this thread from a rant to a discussion of
ideas on how to make your show more unique. Perhaps, one solution is to
use those effects that others thought would never work on the street...
wait a second...rewind...someone already said that...

But anyway, here is guy doing card tricks on the street...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFIIPrAmzbE


Nice link! Does anyone have any others?
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
If the three tricks you know best are card tricks then do card tricks.

do what you love and the money will follow.

by the way the pitch he was on is hollywood blvd. one of the tuffest pitches to stop someone.

cellini told us that there were some who miss understood the statement, "there is no art without money"

when cellini said it he was talking to artists in the room, who were so wrapped up in thier art they couldn't even buy a new deck of cards or feed themselves because they were such purists they felt asking for money was wrong.

the fact is many in the audience are not artists and they show their appreciation by tipping and to not ask or take tips, does the audience memeber a disservice.

plus the magician has to eat. lol

BUT, the people who misinterpreted this were of course money guys who put money FIRST, they are the ones who will destroy any sort of artistic or theatrical wonder in their show to be more like a infomercial to maximize their income.

when cellini or another magician would call them on thier c**** the money guy would quote cellini to justfy their bad shows and mean spirited tactics to extort money from their audience.


and robert I've already answered you questions.

come talk to me when 90% are doing sonny's routine, right now only sonny is.
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
On the street in order to have a quality show and make money their has to be a certain order of thought.

first you have to create a quality product, then secondly think about getting paid for it.

not the other way around....like a money guy.

once again we are talking a lot about money and very little on creating a magic show, probably because of all the money guys showing up now on this thread.

so I guess it's simple.

the answer to the question why can't magicians make magic shows?

well magicians can and do still.

it's the money guys who can't make a magic show, because they can't figure out a way to make big hats with it like cellini or gazzo or sheridan did. lol
brianherb1
View Profile
New user
New York City
15 Posts

Profile of brianherb1
I have seen Solrak's card routine more than once on the street, and I can vouch that it captivates the audience even on extremely hectic pitches. I think in order to perform cards on the street you just have to have a creative or inventive presentation that makes the whole concept easy to grasp, which Solrak has definitely done.

I also use cards in my routine, but I integrate it into a chain escape so that there is a motivation for it to happen. Finding the signed card is the reason that I need to escape in a minute and that adds tension to the performance.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2699 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2012-09-03 23:36, Devious wrote:
Image



If I had five dollars and Chuck Norris had five dollars, I would have ten dollars because Chuck Norris would never take someone else's money.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On 2012-09-04 05:17, jimmy talksalot wrote:

and robert I've already answered you questions.

come talk to me when 90% are doing sonny's routine, right now only sonny is.


Perhaps the emperor should get himself a new wardrobe then?
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
920 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
Earlier I said that someone once said "Find something you love and get so good at it that people pay you for it and you will love your job."

Jimmy, are you saying that the money guys should leave magic and go into money brokering?

I will say again that so far every "good" care trick that has been mentioned was a mentalism effect that uses cards for the presentation of the magician's mind reading ability. They are not card tricks like ACR. Excluding the YouTube video and or Solrk card routine because, I haven't seen them.
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Quote:
On 2012-09-04 01:07, Devious wrote:
...In the end it's about the repertoire and the execution.

So if you have the personality and some humour to deliver it in an
entertaining fashion...

What are you doing to insure that your card tricks aren't boring?




That's the 100 Million Dollar question isn't it? Though, I think you answered
the question yourself before you asked it. Yet, I would say that the question
should be expanded to, "what do you do to make any piece of magic entertaining?".

Because, it is this component that acts as a catalyst and/or one of many
reason behind the overuse of certain props and act stealing. Let's face it,
it's inherently hard to make any effect entertaining, its even harder to make
an act entertaining. What makes it entertaining? Work...lots of hard work.
At least for me it does and if you don't do the work that it requires...
it may tempt you to do what this thread's subject is all about...

Since the subject of this whole thread is focused on Gazzo, I submit
some footage of him here where he is doing a card "trick"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTmyKzFQQeE

The study of this could probably help give you a clue on how to
make it entertaining let alone being something that can play on
the streets. Notice that the elements of making it entertaining
are practically the same elements that makes his cups entertaining.
I think the study of the whole video can give you some clues on how
to street perform...not to steal his act, but understand what makes
it work.

Another performer, probably lesser known to the those on this board
is seen here performing a card "trick", to perhaps to a larger audience.
Studying this can also probably provide some hints on what makes it work?
But it also shows that cards do work on the street.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rp5EjacCAI&feature=related

In the end you have to ask yourself, are these two act's entertaining?
Is it really the props and/or effects involved? Or does it just boil
down to YOU.
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5313 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Wrong.... cellini meant that if youre working at a job and not working on your art your art suffers....PERIOD...I spent a lot of time with cellini and knew him well and that's exactly what he meant. I wasnt one of those guys who who meet him once and said "I knew cellini"

this money guy ting is total nonsense.....
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5313 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
What exactly I money guy anyways? are we saying that people who are successful don't care about their art as mcuh as the poor guy who cant feed their familys? Its totl nonsense....just a boat load of crap!

Butterfly man was one of the greatest street perfromers ever...creative, cared about art as much as anyone....worked really hard

Retired and bought a house in hawaii...clearly a money guy
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
First off I was doing magic proffessionally long long before you even learned magic, this s according to what you and the rest of the guys includng cellini told me hen I met you.

you started street performing proffessionally, at best one year before me.

secondly, I knew cellini, granted not as well as you but I knew him. in fact the whole time I knew him he complained to us about you.

claiming I met him only once is a joke.


third, more importantly, I grew up around his students and was very familiar with his views, which impressed him everytme we talked.

I heard from - his - mouth - that you, kozmo, were the THE ONE that misinterpreted this statement and how.

infact til the day he died, he complained about you, your methods, and your person.

this can be verified not just buy me, but anyone who knew him especially his students.

lets not open a can of worms shall we.

before you post I am going to send you a pm, please read it, you may actually be sympathetic to something that has happened to me and why I'm spouting off,

if you are, I will go away for good for you and stop telling people about the past.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Magicians can't make magic shows anymore, because of the cups? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17~18~19 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.37 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL