The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Magicians can't make magic shows anymore, because of the cups? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..17~18~19
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
The part where a spade was called a spade.
padre rich
View Profile
Elite user
422 Posts

Profile of padre rich
Lotta gass and water under the bridge here.watch voronin take magic shop props and transform them into art.young guys will always copy and grab the quick money.by the time they reach middle age they are either out of the game or embarrassing themselves.time wounds all heels.try to see the true light.as jack nicholson said,"be ready.you'll get your chance." quit looking back over your shoulder,just say,"so long,charlie..." and look ahead toward the finish line.
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
FatHatter
View Profile
Regular user
I'm here you're there and that's that.
137 Posts

Profile of FatHatter
Voronin is wonderful.
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
726 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
I like this post, a lot of food for thought. Jimmy, I've been reading your blog and it's full of great information and has me thinking a lot. Here soon, when the schedule permits, I'm gonna hit the streets myself. Everything in my show is mine. Maybe the plots are the same, but they're all my tricks with my methods and presentation. I ain't going to bother with a table for a while, I want to do doorway shows so I can do more of them and learn better that way. They seem better for my areas I can get to too. I do the cups, but it definitely ain't Gazzo's cups routine. It's my own version, with two cups, and no fruits for final loads, I do something weird and different. I love something you said in an article; "did you do your lifes work or did you do some one elses?" It was in a different context in the article but it applies to this too. I want to get full hats for what I made, not someone else. Thanks for the interesting debate and thoughts.
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
726 Posts

Also, I do a card trick in my show, it's something I've done for a long time. When I do it, people cuss and yell and exclaim it's not possible, etc. I've had so many people grab the deck and inspect it afterwords that now I just give the deck away after the trick. Not all card tricks are boring, they are just a tool for the performer. People are boring sometimes though.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
People are boring!

Best line in this whole thread :o) You sir, just won the Internet with that statement. Truth, in its truest truthfulness.
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
726 Posts

Smile
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13348 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Ok, I'm bored. *poof*
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Nutz4Tutz
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Nutz4Tutz
Going back to the original post of the thread. I must say, I'm a huge fan of C&B routines. I used to mess around with the Gazzo routine, I have then moved onto the Table Hopping 2 Cup routine. I don't close with it, instead I use it in the middle-ish of my routine. My final loads are bigger spongeballs, in which after a breif pause to allow the magic to sink it and the clapping is done, I immediately move into a spongeball routine. I like when my tricks are tied together, one flows into another, as though it's a story that progressively gets better. As opposed to a routine made up of "just a bunch of tricks thrown together".
For me it works and gets me money, I am one of those guys that's not a professional, but I am ALWAYS reading books trying to learn new stuff or come up with my own variation. Sometimes, whether it's because I'm just slow or something I just can't seem to get the results that I want to work out. Sometimes I come up with an idea that to me and other magicians might seem pretty sweet, but when it comes to the lay audience, it just doesn't play as big as some of the classics. There's a reason they're "classics" afterall.
With all that being said, I would say, to each their own. People who do the exact same magic as the next person, doesn't mean they're a bad person with bad intentions, it just means they run the risk of their audience not being as "wow'd" as they could've been, which only affects them and their hat size. So I say to each their own. The more the next guy imitates, the more likelihood I'll get a job from being different.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2167 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Somewhat off-kilter here, but in one of those moments of remembering (had a DUH moment) something I had posted on this thread back on the 28th of August, I remembered crediting, or rather miscrediting a quote to Shimada: "Magic is not tricks, it is a way". I meant to say that it was Tenkai Ishida.

Okay. I feel better now.
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
Is this who was argueing with me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3Nym8ebH......embedded
WilliamMckeehan
View Profile
New user
Moriarty, NM
40 Posts

Profile of WilliamMckeehan
That is my City... For now.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3272 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On Oct 17, 2012, jimmy talksalot wrote:
Is this who was argueing with me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3Nym8ebH......embedded

I do that Coke in bag trick in my kids show, fools the 3 year olds every time
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1045 Posts

Profile of gallagher
One of the really great threads, here in the Magic Café.
People put in a lot of thought,..and 'passion'.
Most stayed and talked,,.
,..and stayed really 'respectable'.

Jimmy could really inspire and provoke 'thought'.
...probably mirrors himself. 👍

A great read. Thanks.
Gallagher
drmolarmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn NY
126 Posts

Profile of drmolarmagic
As a teen growing up in NY watching many buskers and being inspired to do the same I never thought of the C&Bs as what you needed to do but I always wanted to do it kind of like emulating the big guys. Over the years I've taken it out and put it back in my street show but forced myself to come up with an original routine, using classic moves of course but with a story and color changes of the balls and I never do the hat load as a finale just multiple large loads over and over. I never thought I had to do the C&Bs to be a busker I just do it because I love it and hopefully may audience comes along for that ride.
Bruce
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Magicians can't make magic shows anymore, because of the cups? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..17~18~19
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL