The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Magicians can't make magic shows anymore, because of the cups? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..17~18~19 [Next]
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
Gazzo has many imitators because of the large amount of marketing done with his DVD/Book. Sadly, I bet most who bought it never cracked the first page of the book. We live in a time when any punk can buy a DVD, watch it on their laptop, and copy it. Very few in the next gen of performers are taking the time to create, and instead only copying. DVDs make that easy. Last time I was in a large city in the NW that shall remain nameless, I watched a street performer doing a watch stealing act, then selling a DVD right there on his table of the very same act. I was not impressed with his technique, as he literally stumbled through several badly done steals, even apologizing for it while doing it. Still, people were buying the DVDs. Think of all the badly executed clones he was creating by doing that. Bottom line, if the act is available on DVD, people are gonna copy it because most of them are just plain to lazy to create something original.
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
I have the Gazzo book and DVD on "Street Cups." I absolutely LOVE to watch Gazzo do it! I don't do it, and for a very good reason..actually TWO very good reasons:

1.) It's to much like work!

2.) As Jimmy and others have mentioned, it's being done to death!

I'll be totally honest here, when I first started performing for my club I did "Rub-a-Dub-dub" Bill Malone style! I got a "standing O" from the members! However, I absolutely hated the routine! I thought it was totally infantile! But my mentor gave me some reasons to stick with it:

1.) It's audience tested!

2.) It fits my personality/style.

3.) It "kills!"

4.) And most importantly, nobody else seems to be doing it!

I'll continue doing it as long as I'm performing, however, if any of you that don't approve and we someday cross paths, I'll totally understand if you don't tip, fair enough?

Sir Richard.

Posted: Aug 23, 2012 12:05pm
BTW, Jimmy and others that agree with him; I also agree with jimmy about not doing what everybody else does. That's why most of my effects use my own twist. However, I only steal from the best! Muh-ha-hah-hah-hah!

Sir Richard!
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
BTW, Jimmy and others that agree with him; I also agree with jimmy about not doing what everybody else does. That's why most of my effects use my own twist. However, I only steal from the best! Muh-ha-hah-hah-hah!

Sir Richard!
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
With all respect really Sir Richard please forgive my sarcasm, it's how I am.

so I should NOT create my own act or routine or character, but use some one elses, because it kills? tried and true? and because SOMEONE ELSES WORK FITS MY CHARACTER?

all due respect to you and your mentor, but no thanks.

seriously I mean no disrespect. if that's the way y'all do it, great.

but I will not encourage that in my students nor was it ever encourage for me to do it that way....imagine some one suggesting that to Slydini lol.

I mean I could understand learning it for an exercise and goofin, but to take someones act and use it proffessionally, no.

please, don't be angry with me, but I respectfully disagree.

once again,

WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR A "MAGICIAN" TO CREATE A MAGIC SHOW, ISN'T THAT WHAT A MAGICIAN DOES?
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
Quote:
On 2012-08-23 12:32, jimmy talksalot wrote:
With all respect really Sir Richard please forgive my sarcasm, it's how I am.

so I should NOT create my own act or routine or character, but use some one elses, because it kills? tried and true? and because SOMEONE ELSES WORK FITS MY CHARACTER?

all due respect to you and your mentor, but no thanks.

seriously I mean no disrespect. if that's the way y'all do it, great.

but I will not encourage that in my students nor was it ever encourage for me to do it that way....imagine some one suggesting that to Slydini lol.

I mean I could understand learning it for an exercise and goofin, but to take someones act and use it proffessionally, no.

please, don't be angry with me, but I respectfully disagree.

once again,

WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR A "MAGICIAN" TO CREATE A MAGIC SHOW, ISN'T THAT WHAT A MAGICIAN DOES?

I don't take it as disrespect, Jimmy, just your opinion, and your certainly entitled to it! My mentor has brought me out of the doldrums of an average job into doing something I've longed to do since the age of eleven. Although not a professional magician himself, he does have a PH'd in Business and teaches at the major University here. He also knows many pros, such as Max Maven, Lance Burton, Mac King, Ben Ulin, etc., on a personal basis and is very good friends with them. He's an international travler and knows many others in both Paris and London. I'm proud to call him "friend" as well as mentor.

How you teach your students is definitely your business, and I'm not meaning to be disrespectful, but I wouldn't be one of them. Much like you and the other Buskers out there I'm a very independent cuss and speak my own mind, I can't help it, I'm mostly Irish! :O) At 65 years of age, I've learned to do what ever it takes to provide for my family, and I don't need anybody else's permission to perform the way I choose. That being said, I certainly wouldn't be so foolish as to place my ability on the same level as that of yours! Happy Busking!

Sir Richard!
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Good day sir

Posted: Aug 23, 2012 1:00pm
Oh and by the way, Max Maven, Lance Burton, Mac King, Ben Ulin all became succesful for doing there own shows, not coping someone elses. lol

your irish?

I'm in ireland right now and I love it wow.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
If you can make it to County Cork in Cobh, there are some wonderful busking areas in that town mate!
Enjoy Brother...take some pics.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Pizpor
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of Pizpor
Quote:
On 2012-08-23 13:00, jimmy talksalot wrote:
Oh and by the way, Max Maven, Lance Burton, Mac King, Ben Ulin all became succesful for doing there own shows, not coping someone elses. lol

and Harry Anderson, Johnny Thompson, Rudy Coby, John Carney, .....

Trying to get a conversation going about creating a character is realy hard around here

Thanks Jimmy!
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
No one will ever top your roadside band busking Pizpor!
You rock pardner!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Pizpor
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of Pizpor
U R my new BFF!!

Thanks Devious! That was a great day!
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Exactly.

so;

still waiting for a proper answer.
Pizpor
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of Pizpor
It's hard because the path of least resistance and perceived success is to imitate. When you see others performing successfully you believe that you can enjoy the same level of esteem if only you could do exactly as them. So you copy to avoid the possible embarrassment of having something of your own creation fail in front of dozens of people.

There is a real thrill with coming up with a new piece.

With respect (to you Jimmy), and just my opinion.
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Pizpor,

yeah, wow, good answer, thanks.

the things is though, I think that is the essence of our job.

Every job has it's hard part and this is ours.

And I don't think it's fare to anyone to copy stuff for a pat on the back.

I think if someone wants to be in this business, -creating- needs to be a the top of the list.

I literaly can't count the times I have stepped infront of a crowd to try out some new routine only to have it fail, but then it gives me the answers to be able to make it work. because then I know how the people want that trick presented to them.

this is the WHOLE POINT to going to the street, because you can fail over and over and who cares their just strangers and when they leave a new batch of strangers arrive, so when you finally do master the new routine, you're dangerous because you just tested it a hundred times infront of a tough audience.

right now I'm working out a sponge ball routine, that I believe will revolutionalize how I approach the street and magic props.

using them for parlor manip and interactions I just stumbled into it and I've never seen any one else approach it this way I don't know why, except for a sequence sonny taught me I use to finish the routine.

but even there the plot, character, and handling is different.

this I believe is the difference between doing magic and doing a trick like a layman.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2699 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2012-08-23 09:32, jimmy talksalot wrote:
Why can't a magician make his own routine with the cups....is it really that hard fellahs, isn't that what magicians make....magic shows?

friggin wow.

look if you can't put together a magic routine.....wow...try another hobby this one is to complicated for you.

When I was an actor, I didn't write my own plays.

That's why.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

The thing is, I ain't braggin, this is nothin to brag about, this is simply the work a magician is supposed to be doing.

it's like complimenting a trash man cuz he took out the trash it's just the job and every single "magician" should be doing this in my opinion.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2699 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
You should be bragging. If it's something you're good at, go for it.

Me? I would come off as Ed Wood Jr. who also wrote his own material.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Ed,

actor, different job....that's an actor.

new job now ed. magician....tougher job, more involved.
Scotty Walsh
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
207 Posts

Profile of Scotty Walsh
But the thing is, it's hard to be original in magic when you are just beginning. Because it's not enough just to make original material. It also has to work, and it has to be deceptive. So, beginners are smart to start with classics and learn a routine from one of the masters who infused decades of theory and understanding into the structure. My first cups and balls routine was from Mark Wilson. These guys do Gazzo's.

I have no problem with that. And really, most people are way too smart to try to take Gazzo's character. In a way it is good that everyone is doing Gazzo's routine, because Gazzo, personally, is inimitable. Everyone used to do Vernon. Now they do Gazzo, which is basically Vernon with a different ending.

I have no problem with that either. The difference is that people are now getting their start with the cups on the street, whereas people used to get their start with a coloring book and milk pitcher in a living room. But, all things considered it is probably a step UP for magic.

And really, everybody doing cups and balls... isn't that what street corners are made for? That's how it used to be, too, according to the pictures. The public was sick to death of the trick, and magicians stopped doing it, and Malini revolutionized it by dropping the gib. Now, in ten years, someone can revolutionize the trick again by working out of the pockets and the public will go nuts! "Where did the lemons come from?! He wasn't even wearing a giant purse bag thing!?"

No, I think that's the natural progression of things. My problem is that everyone is copying a flawed routine. But, like someone said, that's marketing. And once you buy those Gazzo cups, you're stuck with the oranges, and stuck with the pouch. I think people should buy normal sized cups, use a smart number of smart sized loads, and start thinking about where they can hide a grapefruit.

That's what I think. At this moment, at least.
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Ed you said; "I would come off as Ed Wood Jr. who also wrote his own material."

that's a good thing.
Pizpor
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of Pizpor
One of my biggest creative challenges is finding the means by which I can get a routine to fit the character. Over the years I've had several routines I've wanted to do but never really been able to incorporate into my act because I just can't find the hook that would make it 'Pizpor.' But when I do figure it out, than it turns into some real fun stuff.

Failure makes you stronger.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Magicians can't make magic shows anymore, because of the cups? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..17~18~19 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.4 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL