The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2012 entrée: Shawn Farquhar » » Who Inspires You » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2231 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Hi Shawn
Thanks for being here I have been reading everything and learning a lot.. Thank you for sharing
My question.. Who inspired you in magic when you first started, and who do you enjoy watching now and why.
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

Profile of Shawn Farquhar
Hi Mike,

As a kid my first magic experience was with my Father.
Following that I had the opportunity to see Bob Downey* at a USO show in Germany.
Once I moved back to Canada I saw a magician names Scalzo at the Lobster Carnival in Summerside, PEI.
He did a great bird act with a vanishing carousel while dress in white tails.
He ended the show with a Zig Zag and I didn't miss a single show!

I grew up on the road but met some pretty cool magicians like Fargo the Magician.
He traveled to 33 countries and yet no one has ever heard of him!
To us kids we called him "Boots" and he lived a great life and made lots of audiences happy.

When we finally got our first cable TV I saw Dale Harney on a show he called the Magic Palace.
It was then I was introduced to such amazing magicians as:
Martin A Nash
the Great Tomsoni and Co (Johnny Thompson)
Karrell Fox
Paul Harris
Daryl

At one time I could probably do Paul Harris and Daryl's act verbatim. Sad ...lol

I had a childhood career in magic doing mainly props in stage shows at fairs, festivals and the like and at one time had my own small budget TV series.

Once I moved out West to British Columbia I was introduced to the members of the Victoria and Vancouver Magic Circle's (IBM 183 and 92)
Guys like John Gilliland, Lon Dingwell, Ernie Crockford, Carl Hemeon, Jack Clave, Jack Poulter, Tony Eng, Bob Buie and so many others were generous with their knowledge and time.
I soon made friends with guys like James Dimmer who would introduce me to the magic of Fred Kaps, Channing Pollock and Shimada. James later moved to the USA and changed his name and has done pretty darn well for a guy from Canada!

Others who have really inspired me are the guys who I kinda grew up with: Murray Hatfield, Greg Frewin, Paul Alberstat, Michael Harrison, Andrew Pogson, Clinton W Gray, James Cielen, John Shyrock, Eric Buss and Dean Gunnarson.

Today I love almost all magic ... I still can't get enough of Mac King and an evening of just listening to stories by Johnny Thompson can't be beat. Lee Asher and his magic is unbelievable and I can't say enough good things about Wayne Houchin. Lately I have been watching a lot of the videos of Justin Flom. He's going to be a force to reckon with in the future...mark my words. I'm not huge fan of escape magic but I have to say I like what I have been seeing from Spencer Horsman on AGT. I've been a huge fan of Brett Daniels and loved his Wohscigam production.

Finally if I was to pass along something that would help others in the way of inspiration I would suggest you all spend a day with Bob Fitch and to read the lecture notes of Rudy Coby titled "How to Become a World Famous Magician * (or just look like one)". His essay on the 3 minute rule is just the best! In fact I did a Google just now and see he gave permission for a blog to publish just that part ... so for your edification I present the link: http://bit.ly/NM5maS

Let me know if this inspires you ...

-shawn farquhar

*I am not 100% certain that Bob Downey was the magicians name and in all my years of research I have not been able to confirm my memory, which is usually very good.
With all certainty I can tell you the act was a dove act and he had a Cheetah print theme to the act and did an egg bag with a Fez style hat.
My Father once told me that he died in a car accident but for all my efforts I can't confirm his name... if you have an idea... I'm all ears!
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Please excuse my ignorance; James Dimmer changed his name to __________?
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

Atom3339,

No worries, James Dimmare: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4MTMaN7iCw

-shawn
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2231 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Thanks for the link to the 3 minute idea by Rudy Coby...I had those notes and lost them.. I put notes up all over the house my family thought I was nuts ( I AM ) still working on that 3 minute routine too
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

Mike,

Right now I'm working on a new 3 minute act act for stage using all of Rudy's advice.
I have my goal set to do a show in Europe with no talking ... me not talking ... now there's a challenge.

-shawn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2012 entrée: Shawn Farquhar » » Who Inspires You » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL