The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2012 entrée: Shawn Farquhar » » Worst Advice » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jstahl
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of jstahl
Hi Shawn!
I see on my shelf a book called '1,911 Best Things Anybody Ever Said.'
We can all read in the other threads about the best advice you've received... but what about the worst?
Is there common advice out there that makes you go squirrelly?
Here's your chance to let it all out...
Jeph
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

Profile of Shawn Farquhar
Hey Jeph,

Haven't seen you since CAM.

Worst advice is an easy question. It came from the Career Councillor at Spectrum Community School.
I know she was doing what she thought was the right, but she advised me to grow up and get serious about my future.
She told me life wasn't all fun and games and that soon I would learn that doing clever card tricks wouldn't be enough.
She adjusted my classes to include subjects like Physic's and Calculus and suggested I drop Wood Shop but could keep Theatre Arts if I agreed to take and actually participate in PE (Physical Education). Yup, everyday I ran a couple of miles to start my day... ok I really ran to the Lantern House Pizza where I worked. The place was never open in the morning but I had a key to lock up at night so I'd take a break, order a taxi and meet the others about a block before the end of the run... oh good times.
I did what she suggested for the year and graduated, despite failing Physic's. Now I wish I'd taken shop, although I'm a decent enough builder and still have all ten fingers! Those card tricks and the fact that I have yet to grow up have given me the best life I could ever imagine...

-shawn farquhar
jstahl
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of jstahl
Thanks Shawn.

I've been hanging with my girls and learning some new magic skills.
Check out my daughters and my road trip to Abbott's 75th Magic Get Together: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZk2zZqJ7T0
It was fun. We both promised each other, we'll make sure be both go together for the 100th... She'll be almost my age now... and I'll be nearly dead!

Cheers,
Jeph
ps. Any news on CAM 2013? Montreal?
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

Jeph,

I saw this video on the CAM FaceBook page. I can't believe you ate a White Castle burger! I have only tried them twice. Once in Manhattan and the second time at the MagicFest in Ohio... even with six beer in my system I couldn't take the grease! Maybe just me.... Carl's Jr rules!!! I'd sooner eat the frog legs!

-shawn farquhar

p.s. CAM 2013 is still just talk ... but I'm working on it... in my soare time
DrSammy
View Profile
New user
Greater Toronto Area
52 Posts

Profile of DrSammy
You have spare time? Okay, buddy...Who are you and what have you done with Shawn?

Sammy
Many an ancient lord's last words had been, "You can't kill me because I've got magic aaargh." -- Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

You made me laugh Sammy ... I make spare time ... sometimes.. like this week to answer all these cool questions.

-shawn
G. LaBarre
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
121 Posts

Profile of G. LaBarre
Made me think of this misquote:
If you want something done, ask a busy person to do it.
The more things you do, the more you can do.
Lucille Ball
Glen Alan - "The HOW in your Magic should be Secondary to the WOW in your Magic."
jstahl
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of jstahl
The only Lucille Ball quote in the book on my shelf is:
"The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age."
G. LaBarre
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
121 Posts

Profile of G. LaBarre
I thought only women lied about their age!
If you do knock a few too many years off, there is the chance that people will think you look terrible for your age, but would otherwise think you look great for your true age.
Glen Alan - "The HOW in your Magic should be Secondary to the WOW in your Magic."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2012 entrée: Shawn Farquhar » » Worst Advice » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL