The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2012 entrée: Shawn Farquhar » » Exposure » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
So in an attempt to win your contest I am going with the most incendiary topic I can think of. So here's the question

First, the premise:

It often appears that the "Big Names"(for lack of a better term) in magic don't seem to be as concerned with exposure as one might hope? One rarely sees performers at the level of a Mac King, Lance Burton or Jeff McBride talking about it much whenever the subject is propelled to the fore front by a broadcast of an exposure show or the appearance of a INTERNET site revealing secrets. And if they do they aren't nearly as vitriolic and impassioned in their response as many of the posters on this site have been known to be.

And now the question:

Is it because the more you understand about the performance and presentation of magic the more you realize that the real secret of it are not the secrets?
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

Profile of Shawn Farquhar
Payne,

You already know the answer to that and it can be found in every performance you give!

The biggest secret in magic, something most well known and successful magicians know, is that the secrets aren't the most important part of being a magical entertainer.
If you want to know the precious secret behind almost all magic effects you can Google it or find it on YouTube. Funny thing is very few people go looking for the secret! Why is that? Oh yeah, they don't care. Sad part is the people who post these exposures tag them is such a way that they pop up even when you aren't looking.

"We are the guardians of an empty vault." -shawn farquhar
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Shawn,

Of course I knew the answer to the question. The contest parameters weren't "post a question I don't know the answer to" it was "post a question that will get the most response in the allotted time" I figured that exposure, being the hot button topics that it is would generate a great deal of response. Especially if one of us came out in support of it or held the positing that exposure is not detrimental the the performance of magic.

For the novice performer exposure is a terrible thing. Because generally the secret is all they have. But as they progress in the craft they will come to the realization that the secrets aren't as important as they were lead to believe.

I was however counting on those who have yet to discover this fact to comment on this thread and start a heated discussion on the topic which would have given me a winning amount of hits so I could win the contest.
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

It's all about the secrets!!!!!!

-shawn
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-08-23 23:32, Shawn Farquhar wrote:
It's all about the secrets!!!!!!

-shawn

That's the spirit!

Now I'll say "No it isn't" and we'll get a whole bunch of people in here arguing in no time flat Smile
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

" I would like to have an argument, please". -M.P.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
"Oh! Look! A DUCK!"

(I would like to MISDIRECT this topic).
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
548 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
He's right, you know!
Aractus
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of Aractus
Quote:
On 2012-08-23 23:17, Payne wrote:
I was however counting on those who have yet to discover this fact to comment on this thread and start a heated discussion on the topic which would have given me a winning amount of hits so I could win the contest.

Oooh, I can do that for you! The secrets to so many tricks are OBVIOUS, to ANYONE with a working mind. And any "magic act" incorporates a range of tricks both "good" and "bad". Good tricks are ones that the solution to isn't obvious. Bad ones are where the audience laughs at you because they saw you do your "secret magic work" and you look silly!!

And if you want my opinion, it's all about the performance. No one wants to see some bland boring git perform a good trick, they'd much rather see an entertainer who knows how to engage with the audience.
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1787 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
I always felt if the presentation was truly entertaining the majority would never want to worry about knowing the "How"
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Penn and Teller

That should start a lively debate.

At least it does in other parts of the Café.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-08-24 13:32, Payne wrote:
Penn and Teller

That should start a lively debate.

At least it does in other parts of the Café.

What, no response yet? How am I ever going to score the prize.

Maybe it's like Beetlejuice and you have to say their name three times

Penn & Teller
Penn & Teller
Penn & Teller

I hear they blatantly expose our precious magical secrets!
Aractus
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of Aractus
I do want you to win, honestly, because I pity magicians because they're poor and can't afford the $20 to buy the trick.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
T's not the trick, It's the prestige. Plus I could probably talk Shawn into delivering it in person so we could go ut fot all you can eat waffles at his favorite breakfast spot here in Seattle.
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

Payne,

If you don't win I'll still do the waffles... I want to take Hannah to see the King Tut exhibit ...

-shawn
bcookmagic
View Profile
Elite user
seattle wa
472 Posts

Profile of bcookmagic
I like Waffles...come on down Shawn..its not like you were just here or anything!
If your not having fun doing what your doing....dont do it!
WWW.BRIANCOOKMAGIC.COM
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

Soon as I have a date in mind I'l be in touch with you both...

-shawn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2012 entrée: Shawn Farquhar » » Exposure » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL