The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Bobo for Beginners? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
P T Flea
View Profile
Regular user
Engelfield Green, nr Staines - innit
194 Posts

Profile of P T Flea
Hi all,

I was just wondering whether I can start out from scratch on coin magic just using Bobo's book?
I have been looking at all the various videos available: Roth, Stone, Rubenstein.
But the Bobo book seems much talked about in the Cafe and is such a good price.
Please hurry with your responses, i am having trouble stopping my finger clicking the 'add to basket'.

Thanks for any advice.

PT
Smile
Good judgement comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from
bad judgement.
Smile Smile Smile Smile
James Washer
View Profile
New user
Alabama
95 Posts

Profile of James Washer
My advice is to buy Stone's videos. They are more entertaining and cover the basics. Smile

Bama Gambler
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1093 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
If you are going into coin magic, sooner or later, you'll have to get Bobo's book. "Coin Magic" written by Richard Kaufman is also very good. Roth's Expert Coin Magic is also good.
Bernard Sim
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3025 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
The quick answer is yes, you can learn coin magic just with Bobo's.

The long answer is, though you can learn it with Bobo's, its not the easiest way to do it - coin magic is very visual and it helps to see what is going on. You do not want to learn the basics wrong, one of these videos will show you the basics properly.

In the long run, I am sure you can do coin magic with only Bobo's but by purposely limiting the resources you view or read on a subject will ulitimately limit your knowledge. The more resources you can use, the greater knowledge you gain on the subject.

Regardless of what you plan on purchasing, definately do get Bobo's. Make sure you get the Hard Bound New Modern Coin Magic, not just the cheap Dover reprint. After you start with Bobo's you can decide if you need or want something more.

Dan
Click to visit:
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Bobo is a MUST for coin workers and all magicians.
Learning from a book may be harder than learning from a video, but so what? If it were easy, everybody would be doing it! Smile
In this month's Linking Ring magazine, Mona Santow interviews Jim Cellini, the undisputed king of the street performers.
When asked about books versus videos, Cellini says:
"None of the tapes gives you a history of where it comes from and what it's all about."
On a strictly economic level, a video will give you a dozen or so tricks; a book will give you hundreds.
So, PT, the short answer would be: Get Bobo as fast as you can!
cheers, Smile
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Reian
View Profile
Regular user
Hawaii
117 Posts

Profile of Reian
When asked about books versus videos, Reian says:

"If I wanted a vid on history, I'd get a vid on history. If I wanted a vid on effects with given credit, I'd get that vid. If I wanted a book on history, Id get that, If i wanted a book with effects with given credit, id get that, if it's a combo of both history and effects w/credit, I'd get that. So if you have the money, get them all"

I had a fun time learning and just reading from Bobo's book. I recommend getting it.
phonic69
View Profile
Special user
561 Posts

Profile of phonic69
I started on bobo and I'm still going back to it a few years on, it is a great resourse! And the best thing about books in general is that you can practice with them anywhere; in the park, at work or even on a train! Get bobo, it really is the best...

Smile
P T Flea
View Profile
Regular user
Engelfield Green, nr Staines - innit
194 Posts

Profile of P T Flea
Should I hold out for the NEW Modern Coin Magic as supposed to the original Modern Coin Magic?
My local online dealer is selling the latter for £9.99 soft back.
This sounds like a good price, but from what I have been reading the NEW book has a few added chapters.

Thanks

PT.
Smile
Good judgement comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from
bad judgement.
Smile Smile Smile Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
PT, there are a few extra chapters in "New" but not so much as to make that big a difference.
All the material in the origianl Bobo (by J.B. himself) would take several lifetimes to master.
So, if you can get that at a reasonable price, go for it!
It's the edition I have and, as Phonic69 says, you'll find yourself going back to it again and again over the years.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
James Washer
View Profile
New user
Alabama
95 Posts

Profile of James Washer
Peter said:
Learning from a book may be harder than learning from a video, but so what? If it were easy, everybody would be doing it!

My point exactly! If you want to struggle, then buy the book first. If you want to learn quickly and use the extra time to practice (and work on presentation), then buy the video first. Either way buy both (they compliment each other nicely).

Bama Gambler
Tricky
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Tricky
i have seen

bobos paper back

bobo's hard back

bobos new coin magic

what is the difference?
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3025 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Read this thread

http://www.themagiccafe.com/archive1/vie......;forum=3

It tells the difference between the Bobo's
Click to visit:
The Pianoman
View Profile
Veteran user
Lliving in Scotland.
334 Posts

Profile of The Pianoman
I have had the paperback version and recently got the HB version and I just love it to bits.
I would strongly advise getting the HB version.
I also bought Roths 1,2,& 3 videos and they are very good indeed, as Dan says the books struggle to explain to you what it looks like in "Real Time".
Regards Alan
mambra
View Profile
New user
Milano (Italy)
66 Posts

Profile of mambra
Hi.

I have seen the book by Shigeo Futagawa "Introduction to Coin Magic". The review says it covers the basic moves and it gives tricks that can be performed with those very moves. When I tried to buy it, it was finished... :-((

Anyone knows it?

Anyhow, I think Bobo (I own the cheap version) covers most of what a performer needs, starting from zero to the advanced moves.

Still, that book is quite difficult, because through the years the way of teaching has changed. Think to the differences between Royal Road to Card Magic and Giobbi's books!!!

Dan, in his internet site, has a good plan on "how to read Bobo".

Bobo is a must, but probably I would not suggest it to a "newbie". I might suggest to an already formed magician who want to start a field he has never explored before. Because a magician should be able to see what is good and what is not.

And, NO, I do not believe everything in Bobo is good. I DO believe routines need to be brought to a new, modern life. I believe some moves cannot be performed anymore.

There is a job to do. But I still prefer books to videos, even if they are harder. But then the routine shows you and your magic, not a copy.

Sorry for being boring.

Cheers

Stefano

Stefano Mambretti
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Like Tarbell, some of Bobo is dated (remember, it was written half a century ago!).
But that in no way lessens its value.
As for "I do not believe everything in Bobo is good", well, different strokes for different folks.
What I may think is good, someone else may dislike and vice versa.
But, then, that applies to just about any instructional book, video, CD, you name it!
Personally, I think Bobo is ideal for a beginner if you read it at the right pace.
It starts with the simplest of sleights and effects and, once you've mastered (that's the key!) those, you can move on.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Drew from Spotlight
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
123 Posts

Profile of Drew from Spotlight
First a straight and direct answer to your question: “Buy the least expensive version of the Bobo book that you can and start having fun.”

Now what I’m doing and why:

I’m writing this with the Bobo book in front of me (Dover edition $9.95). My goal is to find coin routines that work well for me while table hopping and in situations that make me appear that I’m performing impromptu.

I say this because your reasons for wanting to do coin work may be different from mine. I’m not looking to do a stage version of
“The Miser’s Dream” (or any other of the several stage routines in the book) but you might be.

The Bobo book is an excellent reference it's descriptions of the effects are complete and the methods (with photographs) are explained well. It is a very good starting point.

I don’t have any strictly “coin videos” but I have some of Jay Sankey’s videos where he explains the Tenkai Pinch (I use this all the time) and other sleights. If I find myself unable to figure out a sleight or routine from the book I may very well hunt it down on a video to watch it being performed. For now I’m just using the Bobo book.

Also just today I received, from L&L Publishing their current catalog with “The Encyclopedia Of Coin Sleights” featured. I have no other information on it.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5522 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Hello PT,

Check this site @

http://thelearnedpig.com.pa

The CD has 47 e-books for about $48 (i.e. just a buck each) and it includes Bobo's Modern Coin Magic (Dover edition $9.95). I have the CD. It's just great.

Happy reading!

Smile Ustaad

P.S. If you buy it, don't forget to say 'Thank you'. Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3610 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
I haven't gotten any information yet, but I believe that the Encyclopedia of Coin sleights is the re-release of my MAster Coin Techniques West German video series from 1985.

It has chapters on all facets of coin magic, showing moves both basic, advanced, and unpublished. It covers vanishes, loads, steals, shuttle passes, changeover palms, spellbound, switches, retention, ROPS, false turnovers, and other topics as well.

I haven't seen the DVD yet, but when I talked to Louis Falanga he told me that they were able to really "clean them up", as the original PAL to NTSC conversion wasn't great, and the Germans accidentally made several misspellings.

I think that the DVD format will allow you to look at the specific move you want very easily, and am looking foward to seeing a copy of the redone version. - Michael Rubinstein
NEW MANUSCRIPT - TWILIGHT ZONE WILD COIN. All New!! As seen on Penn and Teller Fool Us! PM for details!
Rattle purse 2.0 now available! PM me for details!
New FOUR hour Penguin Live lecture TWO with 23 NEW routines, available for download at: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7338
Penguin Live lecture One is THREE hours long, and contains 18 coin effects! Available as a dvd or download from Penguin at http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5960
New York Coin Magic Seminar dvd series available for download at: https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/magic-dvds/new-york-coin-magic-seminar-downloads/
NEW!! At The Table 2 hour lecture download OR DVD containing 11 routines, including THREE never taught before! Download and dvd avaliable at http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S22380 or http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S22833
The Pianoman
View Profile
Veteran user
Lliving in Scotland.
334 Posts

Profile of The Pianoman
Yes Mike its your DVD, I look forward to someone posting a list of the DVDs contents.
If its anything like your Knock Out Coin Magic DVD, it will be exellant.

Regards Alan
Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
Looking forward to the DVD, Mike.

Regards,
Tony
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Bobo for Beginners? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL