The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2012 entrée: Shawn Farquhar » » Film work » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
512 Posts

Profile of damien666
Hi Shawn!
I am enjoying reading all of this..
Hey - I know that you have worked on several tv shows and films as a consultant..
What have been the highlights/ nightmares in that aspect of your career?
Thanks!
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
739 Posts

Profile of Shawn Farquhar
Love you profile pic,

I have indeed worked in the television and motion picture industry both in front and behind the camera.
Here's a partial list that doesn't include live appearance on show like Ellen, etc.

FRINGE – FOX TV – John Noble Joshua Jackson (2009/2010)
Spooky House – S.H Entertainment -Ben Kingsley / Mercedes Ruehl (2000)
Wrongfully Accused -Constantin Film – Leslie Neilsen (1998)
Three – MTV Productions – Edward Atterton (1998)
Police Academy the Series – FOX TV -Joe Flaherty (1997)
Ninja Turtles the Next Mutation – FOX KID’s Network (1997)
In the Lake of the Woods – Hallmark – Peter Boyle / Peter Strauss (1996)
Night Visitor – NBC – Stephen Tobolowsky / Faith Ford (1996)
The X-Files – FOX TV – Gillian Anderson / David Duchovny (1995/98)
Poltergeist the Legacy – PMP Legacy – Derek de Lint (1998)
Double Double, Toil & Trouble – Dualstar Prod. – Mary-Kate+Ashley Olsen
The Highlander – David Panzer Prod. – Adrian Paul / Jim Byrnes (1997/98)
the FLY II – 20th Century Fox – Eric Stoltz (1989)
M.A.N.T.I.S – Renaissance Pictures – Carl Lumby (1994)
Mercy Point – Columbia Tri Star – Joe Morton (1998)
Cousins – Paramount Pictures – Ted Danson (1989)
Nightmare Café – MGM TV – Wes Craven / Robert Englund (1992)
Jack’s Place – ABC – Hal Linden / Finola Hughes (1992)
The Man Who Wouldn’t Die – Paramount Pictures -Roger Moore (1994)
On the Road – CBC – Wayne Rostad (1996)

Highlights of my career include getting to spend time with Gary Paller who is a genius in the world of special effects.
I can't begin to share the stories of blowing things up, levitating things or just burning them down.
I met him on the set of a horror film, The FLY II.
The gag called for the breaking of a giant mirror by the principle actor, Eric Stoltz.
It wasn't going quite as planned and I stuck my nose in where it didn't belong and added my opinion where it wasn't needed.
This is a common occurrence in my world and is usually met with unfavourable results, however I continue to do it to this day... go figure?
On this particular occasion it worked out for the best. I had been hired to do a single trick on the film and with my suggestion I was elevated to assist him...

I also have fond and sad memories of working on Spooky House the Movie.
It was a lower budgeted film with a big heart.
It starred two Academy Award Winners, Mercedes Ruehl and Sir Ben Kingsley.
I was the magic advisor and was able to create several original illusions during the production.
I was also able to hire a few friends to appear in the film like Gary Savard, Dean Gunnarson, Marnie Connolly and Melissa Chew.
Sir Kinglsey and I struck up a friendship that would last for several years.
The writer and director of the film, Bill Sachs and I also became good friends.
So much so he even re-wrote a portion of the film to include a character named Shawn which he asked me to play.
All I had to do was audition for the producers ... for some reason on the day of the audition I sat in front of the studios, but never went in.
Opportunity lost, from free of failure. I have always regretted my decision.
The film was not a huge box office success but won many film festival awards and I am very proud of the film and work I contributed.

-shawn
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1777 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
739 Posts

Yes, that the film ...

The reviews were great with such things as "Whether you believe in magic or not, there are some pretty spectacular moments in Spooky House. The Great Zamboni will wow you with his optical illusions, and even little Max learns the tricks of the trade while hanging out with the famous magician."

Oh and others that were not so flattering like "Spooky House is so sloppy and inert it should have bypassed direct-to-video and gone straight to public domain. I doubt even very slow kids would be able to sit through the whole thing.".

For a kids film I liked it a lot...

-shawn
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
512 Posts

Profile of damien666
I totally remember watching the 'on the road' with wayne ronstad episode.. That was the first time I saw you Shawn.. I believe you had a mullet.
The other shows I have not heard of.. Just kidding.
Thanks for a glimpse at the film work side of things! Heres hoping they make spooky house 2 - WITH the Shawn character Smile
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
739 Posts

I did have a terrible Mullet. Business in the front, party in the back ... whatever... lol

-shawn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2012 entrée: Shawn Farquhar » » Film work » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL