The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Thoughts on my coin routine? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
I've got a ton of different coin gimmicks and I'm trying to put together a good coin routine and here's what I've come up with so far:

I start off with a coin through my hand (into the spectator's hand).

I have a real centavo palmed in my right hand. I reach into my pocket and pull out the scotch and soda coins (US 50 cent and centavo). I tell the spectator to hold their hand out. I put the scotch and soda coins on top of my right hand, and I put my hand just above their hand... and as I cover the centavo on top of my hand, I release the other coin from my classic palm and it falls into the spectator's hand.

this first sequence looks great! you finish clean and both coins are examinable! I think it's a great way to start off a copper/silver type routine. I had been doing this move with a shell, but it's better with the scotch and soda gimmick because they can immediately examine both coins and there's nothing else in your hand.

the only problem I ran into was that I would often get some of the hairs on the top of my hand trapped in the coin and have to pull them out. thankfully, I don't have too much hair on the top of my hand, so it's not that big an issue.

then I reach into my pocket and pull out a lighter and piece of flash paper and make a chinese coin appear. then do a few quick little moves with the one chinese coin (make it vanish, re-appear, etc). then hand the chinese coin to the spectator to examine.

since the spectator now has a 50 cent coin, a centavo and a chinese coin... now I go into a standard silver-copper-brass routine (might use roth's)

to end, I hand the spectator the chinese and centavo.... then I change the silver coin into a jumbo silver coin by grabbing the jumbo coin from my back pocket and ditching the silver coin into the TKO.

the patter during the CBS routine is always asking them where the silver coin is... so for the ending, I try to 'help them out' by making it bigger and easier to follow.

anyways... that's basically the routine. I've been trying it out with a 2 copper 1 silver set... but I think it'll be better with a CBS set (and my centavo's aren't a perfect match either). I just have to find a scotch and soda set and a CBS set that uses the identical looking centavo.

how does this sound to everyone? I'll film it when I get my new gaff coins.

any other ideas or suggestions for the routine?
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Sounds like it might be too many gaffs in the spectator's hands during one routine. One curious spec and you're credibility is pretty much gone! With a little modification the routine can be done safely without the exposure risk.

Just my 2 centavos!

Jim
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
^^^ maybe you didn't understand the routine. the spectator only handles real coins. the only gaff they touch is the 50 cent piece from the scotch and soda... but that's a locking gimmick and it looks and feels nearly identical to the real thing.

so I don't think I risk getting busted at all doing this routine.

the only real tricky part is hitting the TKO vanish and grabbing the big coin without anyone noticing. that's why I might try to get a pocket sewed into the back of my shirt or something so it's easier to grab the jumbo coin.

for the one coin segment that I do with the chinese coin, I'll probably try and fine something on one of eric jone's metal DVDs.

I think I can also manage to switch in the CBS gimmick in place of the half dollar if I have the CBS gimmick finger palmed in the hand that brings out the lighter... and then ditch the real silver coins (the locked scotch and soda gimmick) when I put the lighter away. that way I wont have to do the first phase of the CBS when you switch out the real half dollar for the gimmick in your pocket.

I donno... maybe it's hard to understand the routine the way I've typed it out. when I get something I'm happy with, I'll film it and that'll be easier than imagining what the trick might look like.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Sounds good - how audience tested is it?
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
jedoonatmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
FL/residing temp. TX
228 Posts

Profile of jedoonatmagic
I agree with Jmac, sounds like too many gimmicks are in play. Also, you shouldn't have to do any kind of sewing in order to do a jumbo production. All you'll need is one of those coin purses with a squeezeable clasp and a safety pin. Its quick, easy, and transferable. Smile
One for the money...., 2 for a pass..., 3 for a Fly..., and 4 for matrix!
bigcheese
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, CA
56 Posts

Profile of bigcheese
I think it's impossible to give you valuable feedback on a written description of a routine. Reading a play-by-play description of a routine is not even remotely the same as seeing the routine performed. As Poof-Daddy asks, have you tested it in front of an audience yet? Only then will you know for sure if it's "ready" or still needs practice/modification.

Your plan to videotape it is a good one. That will allow you to work out the obvious kinks yourself before you test it in front of an audience.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Having a "practice partner" or mentor is even better. Any video device will only give a limited view as to angles and does not allow for misdirection and Directed Focus; while any live audience (especially friends or relatives) may not give a truthful appraisal. You need ALL of these to develop a polished routine. You are on the right track ...

Imagine what a magic effect might look like

Determine which Sleights, Gaffs and Moves might be required (the trick/Skeleton)

Flesh this out with basic Presentation as to hand positions, stance, angles and audience participation

Break the Routine into steps that can be practiced separately -- perfect each, possibly using video

Role play the entire routine in your mind until it is automatic

Practice in front of mirror, video or mentor

Complete the development with patter, linking to other effects , character and setting considerations

Perform before a Mentor, Training Partner or selected peers (or ask questions on the Café')

Refine the routine to incorporate new insights

Go to a hospital or Assisted Living Center and perform before live audience without risk

Refine your routine based on offered and observed response

Practice to the point of automaticity

Give an honest self appraisal as to why you wish to perform this particular effect, and where/when (as compared with others you might do)

The BEST effect you will ever develop is the one you never perform -- since you evolved a superior one in the process ;-)

Please notice that nowhere in this process is any need to produce a video of the entire routine and post it anywhere. Video is a valuable practice tool for individual steps, but is not "remotely the same" as kindling magic in the mind and hearts of a live spectator.

Whic of these steps is the most important? The one you are doing at the moment!
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
baobow
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of baobow
I would eliminate the need for your first effect using the scotch and soda. I don't think coin through hand is that strong to justify the use of a gimmick in your routine, espicially when you are using foreign coins. Go straight into the flash paper production of a coin (probably the half dollar). Do your one coin flurry with it, as you put the lighter away, you could then palm out a centavo, then do a copper/silver transpo with it. Also using scotch and soda impacts the reset time if you are looking to do repeat/workaround performances. You could introduce the chinese coin via flash paper again for consistency after this.

Problem with your routine, is that you are trying to ring in coins back and forth from your pocket, going into your pocket 2-3 times will arose suspicion form your spectators without proper justification. Other problem with the way you are routining the effect is that you are trying to have the props examinable before you do the effect, then switch out after the effect, this is difficult to routine in your case as you are doing it with 3 different coins. Traditionally with a CSB routine, you introduce the gaffs, do the routine, then switch out to gaffed coins which is easier to routine. you are trying to do it opposite which will present problems.

I don't have a solution to the way you want to routine your effect as I would need to sit down for afew hours to really nut it out sequence wise. For me a more comfortable routine would be a one coin flurry, then magical production of 3 other coins including shell which would allow me to do a coins across with a spectator hand with the kicker being that you switch the four coins to different coins in the offbeat. That is much easier to routine in terms of flow as well as pocket transition.

I think it's a good discussion and happy to talk and hear more of your thoughts
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Thoughts on my coin routine? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL