The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Where to buy doves and rabbits (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Aidan G
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Aidan G
I've been wanting to add doves to my routine for a while. I would like to buy two young female doves, but don't really know where to start. When it comes to what I would do with them for my act, I would make them appear and then vanish. That kinda stuff. I would like a few people's opinions on what type of dove I should buy, and some websites I could check out. I would also like some resources on caring for them and training them too.

I would also like some dove owners to weigh in, too. Another animal that I would like to use in my act is a rabbit. I only need and want one. I also don't really know of any reliable rabbit breeders or many websites to buy them on. I would like some websites that I could look at and some good resources about caring and training. THANK YOU for reading this! Any advice is appreciated!
Aidan
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5105 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Aidan, don't misunderstand this question but do you now anything about doves? I mean, have you read books and watched videos? Have you considered all the requirements for using doves? Your post sounds like you aren't really prepared to get into dove magic. There is a lot more required than just getting a few doves.

You must be prepared to spend hours a day with them. You must also have the room to keep them and allow them to excercise. There's food, vitamins, treats, cages, and vet bills to consider. You must also be sure you and anyone around you are not allergic to the dust the doves produce. Inhaling their dander (dust) is hazardous to your health. And then there's the daily clean up and cage cleaning that is required.

I've seen too many guys jump into getting doves and shortly afterward, decide they really aren't prepared or aren't interested in doves any longer. It's too late at that point.

There are many many posts in this forum discussing care and feeding of doves. You may want to skim through them and read as much as you can. There's also a sticky topic listing valuable resources including books and videos.
Where the magic begins
Aidan G
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Aidan G
Hello Dave,
Don't worry. I appreciate your question and understand what you mean. In reply to the question: Honestly, no, I have not read read any books nor watched any DVDs. I have kind of gone over the requirements of owning and taking care of doves, but I haven't really gotten down to the details.

I think part of the reason I haven't purchased any stuff about doves is because I don't have any yet. This sounds kind of stupid now that I'm typing it, but for it's kind of like: "Whats the point of buying a 'card flourishes DVD' if you don't have a deck?" Do you know what I mean? I guess that's kind of comparing apples to oranges because there's a huge difference between a pack of playing cards and a living dove.

I'm only 11, so it's a little bit of a big deal for me to get and take care of and train AND perform with a dove. However, I'm very serious about magic and buying doves, so I'll take the time to look up read some online info. Then maybe I will purchase some dvd's or books about doves.

Then, I'll have a whole job in store for me when it comes to convincing my parents, because we don't have any other pets. (They're not exactly animal people, if you know what I mean.) Then I'll decide whether or not I should buy some. Thank you for that!

:fyi: You've definitely put a little more thought into this whole process so I appreciate that a lot. Well, I had better get my coffee and doughnut ready because I've got some serious reading to do, ha-ha-he. Smile Smile
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5105 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Here's a few links about resources and dove magic. They are all good.You are only 11 so there's plenty of time to get into dove magic. I own all of these books and DVD's but I'd recommend you start with Andy Amyx's "Doves 101", Tony Clark's "Unmasked and Behind the Seams", and General Grants "How to Make a Living Stealing..Doves". Greg Frewins course is very good but also very expensive.

You need to know as much as possible before taking the plunge to get a dove. Even if you get the books and dvd's and decide not to do dove magic, in my opinion, you can never have enough information about magic.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=13&0

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=13&18
Where the magic begins
Aidan G
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Aidan G
Thank you so much!: I've been looking around this forum looking at all the different posts and already saw both of these but I still appreciate your link to those posts. I also appreciate your suggestion on your personal favorites and that's true that you really can't have too much information on magic. I realize now after looking just how much there's to know about doves. Whether it's the cage or the different types the food there's so much info to learn, so this decision isn't gonna be a quick decision. I'll be looking for a while and I'll give you some more information about where my decision stands in a PM. Thanks see ya! Smile Smile
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Great advice from Dave! Listen to him, because he knows doves! He helped me tremendously when I was trying to decide whether or not to get into dove magic. I spent about 5 years researching and learning all I could about doves before I finally took the plunge.

The first dove and rabbit books I got had nothing to do with magic at all. They were books that about the care of doves/rabbits. They were very detailed about everything from housing to breeding. I found these books at pet stores, and they helped, but there were still tons of information they did not provide. If you are using the animals in a magic show you need some of the DVDs and books with a magician's point of view.

And by the way, when you are ready to purchase your doves or rabbits, do not go to a pet store. Try to find a reputable breeder in your area. I know this may be difficult if not impossible to do, but you will be better off if you can find someone. My current rabbit breeder is a couple of hundred miles from me, but he is fantastic and I have had great success with his bunnies. The distance is worth it for me. We also communicate online and sometimes we will set up a meeting somewhere in the middle when he is traveling to a show.

The doves are another matter. I happened to luck up and find someone looking to sell 4. They were about 100 miles away, but I hit the road to go look at them. Luckily I had gathered enough information and had enough knowledge to be able to tell that the birds were healthy and young, so I ended up buying them all. That was all she had, and she had decided to raise other birds so I could not get any more from her.

I thought I would be able to raise some baby doves on my own, but it turns out all these were females. I later found a male from a magician while I was on vacation and talked him into selling it to me. After several months a baby dove was born, but it passed way. I'm hoping to raise a few babies someday,but so far they have not hatched another egg.

Good luck!!!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Aidan G
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Aidan G
Thanks Regan for giving your perspective on this. I agree that it does help to have a magician's view on a DVD. Now I know to get dove magic books and DVD's first. Thanks and good luck with the baby doves!
magicusb
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of magicusb
In order to raise doves they must mostly be left alone in pairs.
They must be comfortable and without fear to do their thing.

This means you cannot use breading pair in your show if you want them to bear.

It takes 21 days for the eggs to hatch and they take turns all day sitting on the eggs.

We now never use breeding pairs, of which we have several, in our shows.

They do not live in the house or basement but in a separate building-barn where they are alone day and night, except for when we feed and give them water them each day. We now have so many babies that we steal the eggs out from under them so as not to have too many.

Any questions PM me or email at magicuus@comcast.net
We hope to bring a pair or so to Bob Little's convention in PA in November for auction.
D&D
Check out http://HoudiniOpoly.com

Houdini Museum Tour & Magic Show.
Only building in the world dedicated to Houdini.
http://Houdini.org
http://HoudiniDisplays.com
http://PsychicTheater.com
Scranton, Pa (570) 342-5555
"The truth shall make you free, but first it will make you angry." -Robert Ingersoll-Atheist (on the mind of Houdini when he died.)

We are thrilled we were able to bring The Grim Game to the world! Thanks TCM.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Mine are still not having any babies. They hatched one that died last winter, and that is it. I had hoped for one or too baby doves this spring or summer, but I hope they wait now. Maybe they will hatch another egg one of these days.
Mister Mystery
magicusb
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of magicusb
Trying to bring some born this summer to the Kutztown Convention Saturday Nov 10 in PA
Check out http://HoudiniOpoly.com

Houdini Museum Tour & Magic Show.
Only building in the world dedicated to Houdini.
http://Houdini.org
http://HoudiniDisplays.com
http://PsychicTheater.com
Scranton, Pa (570) 342-5555
"The truth shall make you free, but first it will make you angry." -Robert Ingersoll-Atheist (on the mind of Houdini when he died.)

We are thrilled we were able to bring The Grim Game to the world! Thanks TCM.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5105 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
On 2012-10-29 16:42, magicusb wrote:
In order to raise doves they must mostly be left alone in pairs.
They must be comfortable and without fear to do their thing.

This means you cannot use breading pair in your show if you want them to bear.

It takes 21 days for the eggs to hatch and they take turns all day sitting on the eggs.

Not necessarily true. I never left my pairs alone and used them all the time in my act. They still laid fertile eggs. I just had to be careful using them while they were carrying the egg.

I wouldn't say they take turns all day sitting on the egg. The male sits on the egg from 10AM to 4PM and then the female takes over for the rest of the day. You can set you watch by it.

Maybe my 31 birds were unique. Doves are craaaaazy people.
Where the magic begins
Torque75
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Torque75
I'm thinking about getting a rabbit for my.kidshows, I've seen what they can add with the looks on the kids faces while watching other performers. Are they a lot of work,
cleaning the cages, how often, biting? Any help?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Where to buy doves and rabbits (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL