The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Real Secrets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Not sure if any other Tenyo Fans here are members of Real Secrets. I joined a few months ago and have been very pleased with the offerings. I think if you enjoy Tenyo particularly the Specials you will enjoy the effects from this team. Each month you receive at least one effect in the mail and they provide additional bonus material to subscribers. In the first few months I calculate I have received around $100 retail in value and it cost me $200 for the year. Kind of cool waiting each month for the next release... very old school in a way. They are very strict on ensuring secrecy around thier offerings which in this day and age of open exposure on the web is refreshing.

Genii magazine last month did an article on them and included a sample effect they have produced. Cannot say much more other than I think there are a few on here that would enjoy this. They have a banner ad on the Café for more info. If you decide to join and mention my name I will receive an additional month on my subscription... so yes there is something in it for me! This is an offer they have put out to all subscribers to help entice new members (so if you know someone else that is a member you can give them the bonus). Howver even if you don't mention my name (which you should <g>) I recommend checking it out... Cheers,

John
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
... it would appear that I am not going to get any free months added to my subscription... figures, I sucked at selling greeting cards as a kid as well! Smile
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
Lets not even dredge up the Girl Guides cookie incident, John.

Great concept. Read nothing but positive reviews too. The only thing that holds me back is that I already stalk my mailman whenever I have an effect due for delivery. If I joined up, I'm pretty sure he'd stop deliverying in my neighbourhood as a regular monthly relentless pursuit on my part would tip him over the edge.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
... free month aside I think this would be right up your alley Inert... I sense from your comments here and fondness for the Tenyo specials that you would enjoy this material... another thing for you to think about in the shower!

... you know I am not even allowed to say the word g%^& g%^&$
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
I am also a Real Secrets member and Tenyo Collector: RSTC addicts unite!
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Excellent, I believe Simon is also a member so that makes three... Great article by the way Richard, given how secretative they are, am sure it was challenging.

John
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Actually it was pretty easy once they decided to do it. But I didn't get to interview a live single individual, so if a question went unanswered, there was no way for me to keep pressing the point. But I was pleased with the end result and thought the trick they gave in the issue was really good.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Interesting Richard. Looking forward to the R S event at the Genii Bash.

John
kwarren
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of kwarren
Hello All,

I am really curious about Real Secrets and may consider buying a year subscription.
Can any of you who are members give any indication of how pleased you are with the magic you’ve received for last 4-5 months? I know you can’t say what the magic is but what I want to know is:

Is it truly unique and innovative magic? (That is, any more unique than what can be found elsewhere on the web or any magic shop)

Is it made of high quality materials?

Are they “Tenyo like” items or just your standard close-up magic?
(Please tell me it’s not predominantly card magic)

Also, for those who are members, are you happy with the purchase and do you think it’s a subscription you will continue in the future?

Is it magic you can really perform that truly does look magical? (It don’t really need any more “display shelf” magic collectibles)

Money is very tight these days and for me to put my hard earned dollars into something I can’t see, rarely happens. Having said that, the “fun” aspect of receiving a monthly magical mystery item does intrigue me. (If it is good stuff)

Thanks,
Kirk
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Hi Kirk:

Great questions. As you know we are limited in what we can say given the secrecy stipulations. Like you I was hesitant to join " sight unseen". I read the posts in the RS forum and they were predominately positive. When I read that Richard Kaufman was happy with it, that also gave me comfort as he has seen an incredible amount of magic and seems careful on what he endorses. What put me over the top was when they announced the RS session at the upcoming Genii Bash, as I was already booked to attend I thought I might as well take the leap.

I have received three months of material and some cool bonus stuff. I can tell you this is definitely not shelf display material nor have I received any card material yet. The material I think is best performed casually to friends and collegues. Many of the pieces blend some classic concepts with new thinking and routining to make them current and natural looking. They are great pieces to carry in a wallet and show friends, etc. Not to say the material is unsuitable for professional walk around.

If you like the thinking of guys like Mike Weber, Bob Neale or past great thinkers like Mel Stover and Martin Gardner, you will enjoy this material. It is best used in my mind to create "casusl astonishment" if that makes sense. I have not regreted joining. To the R S team I hope I have not said too much.

If you are still not convinced can I interest you in some greeting cards Smile

John
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Are the most part of the tricks REALLY easy to do?

Of course EVERY magic trick, as easy as it is, needs a good routine/story/and so on so it does need practice. I just don't want to practice sleights for hours ... .
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Even you can do this material David! Smile
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Most of the items require no digital skill at all.

The tricks are clever and good--so far mostly close-up magic, though there was one stage item.

Between the items you receive in the mail plus the bonus items, you're getting at least 24 tricks for your money. Cheap as dirt, but really worth it.
ChasVH
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of ChasVH
Gang,

How does one join? I am very interested in this. Is there a link, or do you have to be approved or reffered by someone that is already a member? Thanks

Charlie
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Here's the link Charlie:

http://www.realsecrets.org/about-real-secrets

I grow tempted by the day with this Real Secrets business. Smile
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Hey Jim and Charlie, take the plunge! The hazing ritual is a little rough but the pain will go away with 24 hours <g>. Seriously it is pretty cool and easy to join.

John
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Just got Real Secrets 6 yesterday. A very cool new version of an already-great trick. No skill required at all, and I can tell another bonus trick is coming because there were some extra tricks in the box.

Real Secrets will be having a pizza party for RS members at the Genii Convention on Saturday evening Oct.6 during the dinner break. You have to RSVP on the Real Secrets website so they know you're coming. I think it's going to be a lot of fun!
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
Are the back issues still available?
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Inert, back issues are not available... You start with the current issue... Better join now before you miss any more!

Richard, received number six today, this is the coolest version I have seen ofthat effect. Looking foward to pizza and beer with the RS folks!
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
Aaah man...another $1000.00 magic month! Dog's d*nk!!! I really have to stop talking to you, Killertweety & Felix about the coolest effects. Guess I'll be able to afford it more often, since I'll not doubt be staggin' it soon.

Anybody else notice the extra cool breeze while cruisin' the Elite 401 highway?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Real Secrets (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL