The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » My Virign Voyage (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

martysh
View Profile
Special user
Greenville,SC
527 Posts

Profile of martysh
I did it ... after 40 years of practice and shows I got a street permit from the city and did lunch hour today... I did well with all I had and now have even more conifidence than ever.... you should have seen me chase the people walking by.... but lunch hour on Main Street in Greenville South Carolina is not so crowded...people don't have too much time...Our city opened up the streets 3 weeks ago and I think is hungry for magicians as opposed to flutist... so I got my free permit and did 2 hours just to say I could do it...some card tricks lots of coins then as the crowd expanded abit of ropes. well as much money as I made I lost as I parked on the street two blocks down and went past the 2 hous I was allowed... oh well... I gain in confidence what I lost in funds... but I was really there to promote myself and pass out lots of cards... that will get me booked I know it.....I learned how to position myself ...how best to attract a few to start with coins and then expand the circle.... hwo the to deal with the unexpected...(the french lady with her poodle on a leash dropped a load in front of my audience table and she was too dainty or helpless to fix so I took two presigned and mercury folded cards together to dispensw with the problem)...sigh what we must do.....my question... how best to attract the first during a lunch hour?? it really is tough with those time pressed... I did a few things.. playing to kids , hawking my way to a pair....
what works for you?

I go back on the bricks next Wednesday..

thanks in advance

Marty Shapiro
sleight of hand that gets a smile
my new sound bite!!
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
461 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
Stopping people while they are on a short lunch break must be tough! I'd rather work a time when people are more relaxed. If you must perform at lunch I'd make sure all my effects were quick ones.
Doug Conn
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Doug Conn
Congrats Marty!

Welcome to the club!(well, technically to be 'in the club' ya have to do it a few 100 more times... but you've got a start... and that's the hardest part.)

Good to hear Greenville is 'street friendly'...
I grew up there and my dad still lives there. I can't imagine where I'd wanna work though... Lunch Crowds are VERY tough. Are there any busy parks? How about festivals? I'd love to know more (it would make visiting 'pop/grandpa' a little easier on the wallet... it aint cheap to get 3 kids and the little lady from New Orleans to S.C.)

Where do I go to get the permit? What will I need to provide (just I.D.?) Any help w/ these questions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks (& Keep us posted on your progress)
Doug Conn
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Marty,

I had the dog "gift" problem DURING one of my shows about a year ago.

I turned it around by stopping the show, watching the dog, looking at the audience and saying, "Everybodys a critic!"

Big laugh and big hat!

Welcome to the streets!

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Hey Danny,
So good to see you back posting my friend. I thought you'd disappeared on us.
JoJo
Magic guy in Perth Australia
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
If I was going to work a lunch crowd, I'd try to find some people who were sitting outside eating rather than chasing down people who were trying to get somewhere. But that's me. Smile
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
martysh
View Profile
Special user
Greenville,SC
527 Posts

Profile of martysh
Guys thanks for the comments...

mandrake... my site was a centered courtyard that had tables and chairs all over.. and yes boy did I denpend on them in quiet moments did some walkaround to kill time with those sitting..
Dan the joke with the dog is priceless. when it happened to me no one was around.. so I will bring and lay down some dog treats to pop the punchline..

Marty
(sometimes desperate for a laugh!)
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Congrats, Marty! Let us know on this thread how the next few shows go and what you discover.

Danny,
I second the warm welcome back! Glad to see you. "Our friend" is staying with me this week while he works the castle. Talk to you soon.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
559 Posts

Profile of vernon
Don't know if this helps but I find that a balloon swallow garners (ususally) a crowd of sorts, esp if you work it with some preamble. Yes it is a killer of an illusion and can be done to close also...as late joiners will not have seen it, and those who did at the begining will want to see it again...
Just my 2 cents worth

Vernon
martysh
View Profile
Special user
Greenville,SC
527 Posts

Profile of martysh
Hey thanks..v...but truth be told I did swallow a few...mostly near the end of my time... you are right .

marty
Swami Bill
View Profile
Regular user
Le Monde
135 Posts

Profile of Swami Bill
Hey Marty - Congrats on your endeavors and continued success. I hit the bricks for the first time this summer but have yet to experience the "poodle phenomenon". As they say: "Don't step in anything soft"!
- Bill
That's MISTER Swami Bill to you.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Way to go Marty!

It is tough enough to take the plunge when there are no doggy "events" like you experienced! And I admire your dealing with the unexpected!

You have already demonstrated a couple of the key winning elements to busking.
1. You had the courage to go and do it!
2. You analyzed what happened and considered why!

Attracting people who are "on their way" somewhere is not easy. You have to give them the expectation that that what you have to show/say/do will be a better use of their time. And I have found that even if they have someplace to be, if you can take them to the world of imagination and wonder, engage them and entertain them and they will give you their time, and their money (at least some of it...)

I stop them with a variety of approaches, depending on the traffic, the venue, and how I feel. You can do it with noise, with visual attractions, or by going after them and pulling them in. (physically sometimes, or with an effect) and in all cases, it starts with eye contact, and an innocent smile, as soon as possible to engage them.

Whatever works for you, is the best thing for you to do!

Next time out, you will learn more, and the time after, even more!

Congratulations on killing the dragon named fear of busking! And good luck now, as you simply need to learn how best to carve that dragon into bite sized chunks that you can take home with you.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
martysh
View Profile
Special user
Greenville,SC
527 Posts

Profile of martysh
Great comment,brod-... I appreciate your time..

In my ongoing saga something just happened that made it all worth while... as this new street program just started I knew the media would give it some attention.. well I started a few days later than I could have and Saturday the local paper ran a huge story on the program of street performers downtown and with elaborate interviews of the contact person on the pros and cons of what they are doing and trying to achieve...but though I didn't make the cut to get my picture in ...better than that my upcoming time on Wednesday was posted along with two other acts on other days.. I got the publicity I was seeking..sigh..just what I wanted... I guess we get paid in muysterious and unexpected ways...

oh I better show up on Wednesday....

oh ...my line to the passers by..
"Can I make you smile for a moment?"

my new tag line on my card my new elevator speech...
"sleight of hand that gets a smile"

Marty Shapiro
In pursuit of truth justice and the ideal ....corner
MagicCoach
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of MagicCoach
I lived off my busking for 2 years
working Circular Quay in Sydney in the early 80's.

Think you have trouble with the dog?
Our biggest worry was the two mounted policemen
who used to visit each Saturday & Sunday.
Two great ex race horses
who had eaten a bale of hay
and two bags of oats for breakfast
and were about to tell you what they thought of the act

yikes

http://www.magiccoach.com
Nick Alexander
View Profile
New user
Australia
60 Posts

Profile of Nick Alexander
Whoowho,
And I bet it was exillirating for you that first time on the street. I started street performing this year and I have learnt one thing. If you keep up that positive attitude the crowds will come.

TMM
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » My Virign Voyage (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL