The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Cold Calling - Targeting Large Companies (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2664 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Yes the fear will get easier with time, and you right, there are a few that can do it with no sign of fear. But it's hard to see inside some to know their true real feelings. Still, it is good to know that it can be done, either way. The fact that many do it is proof that it can be done. Hang in there, the petrified feeling will go away. Many great salesman have walked in your shoes and faced the fears you do. They lived through it. Study their lives and stay motivated.

For a little motivation let me suggest a video by Art Williams call Just Do It. Find it on youtube.

Good luck
Tom
Do What Others Do And You Will Become Average

The Daycare Magician Book
www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Two things...

I have read through the thread and I have not noticed anyone working from "the other end" to get solid contacts.
ie. If you are able to build a relationshop with a reception hall manager, or hotel banquet manager these are places to get actual solid contact info. of the folks who actually book for parties in your area. If hesitant to give you contact info. many will keep your cards to pass out for clients that inquire about entertainment. Remember also, one contact may be of future value to you for other work (the golf tournament, the family picnic, company bar-b-q etc.) So consider the value of that one contact to you.

Second about cold calling...

I have spoken with coaches about this interesting factoid....as I have gotten older (and some other performers I have spoken to also have this fear) I am more reluctant to cold call, and I'm not sure where this fear comes from. In my early 20's I was calling,and getting through to t.v. producers, directors of programming, show producers etc. etc. My thought is that it might have been instilled by the corporate culture I was immersed in for 25 years ie. there is a certain line of communication you follow and do not break.

I have noticed though with the flattening of organisations' structures there may not be as many levels to go through as before. I would say this has occurred over the past 15 years and with this the current generation (the 20 somethings) there seems to be less fear of moving right up to the top of the chain and putting a call in for Mr. President.

Blair
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2664 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I think much of the fear comes from being afraid of being labeled as selling something. Would it be a problem if you were calling to say they had won a large prize in a contest? Probably not. Smile

Then too, some of us just get old, or burned out and lose some of the passion, we start looking for new ideas, chasing the new times, and finding excuses.

Sales is about passion not about selling. A saying worth thinking about and remembering is, "if you're not selling, you're not sold." Self is a hard person to sell. If you're not selling, you're not sold

Tom
Do What Others Do And You Will Become Average

The Daycare Magician Book
www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
Personally, I have not found cold calling that helpful where I am, at least for corporate events. I have joined the local Chamber, and am on the Member Relations committee, so I get invited to all the Open houses and ribbon cuttings, as well as the routine Chamber functions. This has been a great way to network, and people have gotten to know me. I have gotten several leads that way, and have not had to perform anything at any of these functions.

Bob Phillips
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
For those of you that are marketing for corporate work...or any other type of work...you should know the phrase...people buy from those they know, like, and trust.

Bob Phillips
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3789 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I don't ever let myself think of these as "cold calls." The whole idea is unpleasant. And...well...cold.

Here's the thing: you are meeting a person on the phone the same way you'd meet them socially. You ask them about themselves. You ask what kind of events they've planned, which ones worked well and which ones didn't. You ask them about the make-up of their group. You ask if they're drinkers at their parties...or a more sober group.

The most important part of this is that you ASK and LISTEN to what they tell you. They are people...not statistics...not things to be ticked off on a contact form...or points to be raised on a "chat sheet."

Treat them like people...talk to them like people. Let them know you've heard them. Then describe what you do and how it might be a good match for their group. (Assuming it IS a good match.)

I've read the whole ABC (Always Be Closing) rationale. The drawback is that we are in a highly PERSONAL business. You're cultivating this contact not just for one show -- but a pile of shows over the coming years. I will be happy to have them agree to receive a package from me and have a follow-up date set.

There are no cold calls. Just people.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
Good advice David...thank you.

Bob Phillips
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2012-12-03 15:43, bobn3 wrote:
For those of you that are marketing for corporate work...or any other type of work...you should know the phrase...people buy from those they know, like, and trust.

Bob Phillips

This is exactly the philosophy that has been effective for me since I started this thread. I've found it much easier to treat people like friends instead of business leads. I've gone to a few networking events and have made some decent contacts. Local college programming director, business owners, etc. One of the people I met invited me to a business club that is not open to the public (members and invitees only), which is great because the members either own their own business or are high up in a company. He literally told me he wants to show me off to his friends, and he's happy to have a "magician up his sleeve" because I fill a specific niche for him (he programs for the business club). I didn't hard sell, I just listened to his needs and let him form his own idea of how my services will suit him.
BenCummings
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of BenCummings
Related to this topic is a good book that I read a few years ago by Joel Bauer - who is a successful trade show performer. He discusses numerous ways to use brief magic effects as "metaphors" to get past gatekeepers, to secure gigs, etc. Excellent book - here's the amazon link for those interested:

http://amzn.to/YOOmsO

It's called "How to Persuade those who don't want to be persuaded" by Joel Bauer.

For what it's worth -

Ben
Conversations With Mind Readers - Crawl inside the minds of 32 of the greatest<br> mentalists on the planet. After a decades absence, it's available again on a limited basis:

http://conversationswithmindreaders.com
David Marcus
View Profile
New user
3,375.97 miles outside of Paris, France.
81 Posts

Profile of David Marcus
Hi Dave,

Thanks for starting this interesting and informative thread.

As two others here have said: People buy from people they know, like, and trust. And, what works for one may not work for another. There are several ways and directions to approach a thing and the info in this thread shows that very well.

Being semi-retired and working on a smaller scale than many, I probably have more time to do research on my markets and potential clients. I don't do near as many corporate shows as I used to, but I found it useful to subscribe to the companies' newsletters and attend their mixers and open-houses when I could.
“Next to music, beer was best.” - Carson McCullers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Cold Calling - Targeting Large Companies (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL