The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Deadbolts? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Any thoughts on escapes with deadbolts?
Anything currently being made?
Any apparatuses with deadbolts?
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Anything involving a jail-door lock. Those are deadbolts.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1488 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Define your description of what you think a deadlock is? (typically two conical cylinders, one fitted each side to a door with a tubular bolt set in the edge of the door) used on a house front door.
or as Steve says, a jail door lock.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Open to either at this time. But preferably the house front door style of deadbolt.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1488 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Invite people to your house as your audience, then you step outside and they lock the door. While they watch at the windows, you can do full view lock picking and get back it. (but seriously)

You must already have a thought, a step up, an idea in your head far bigger than one word "deadbolt'

If not, that would be a silly as me asking for ideas if all I said was "piston'
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
How about something being locked in a container must access through a deadbolt.
Any gimmicks to a deadbolt? Anything already being made?

How about any restraints with deadbolts or what seems to be with deadbolts...
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1488 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
For many escape artists, the basic philosophy is to present equipment, restraints and situations as authentic as possible. Restraints are normally like or as used by police depts. Containers locked with rope , chains or padlocks.
Deadlocks as a generic term is household and factory door type hardware. Due to it’s size, a standard deadlock would be too big to pass off as normal for a restraint unless the idea of some back yard challenger made a cuff with one.
Deadbolts can normally opened with a piece of wire when you know what you are doing. Any thing can be gimmicked.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
The reason deadbolts work is that there is a solid frame that the lock "bolts" to. Without a proper frame, a deadbolt is useless. So, with that in mind, you need to come up with a neat idea that incorporates the framed door setup. How flexible are you? You could try to do a contortionist/escape combo act, have yourself locked in a tiny cube, break your way out.....
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
They could be used to close a sub-trunk.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Thegreatnippulini and thegreatnippulini - great idea's.....
Ian McColl thanks for the lesson, but I am looking for ideas, I know what deadbolts are. Smile
Its not for a backyard escape.
Trying to come up with ways to apply them.
Love to find one that is gimmicked.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1488 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Glad you like the lesson, when you formulate your idea, I can modify a deadbolt for you.
Mike Griffen uses a similar technique, not anything to do with deadbolts but for ideas that he never has to pay for.
At his website, you can email him with an idea of what you would do to challenge him. If he things the idea is something he could try, he can email you back and arrange a date.
h
Either way, hundreds of ideas flood in and you can pick or choose. Where is idea is better, no-one knows where the idea came from and no feels they have missed out on any profit made from the idea.

If you cannot think up an escape idea for yourself and gain an idea from here, then someone can search for it.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
How much for a gimmicked deadbolt IAN? I need it to be silver and to be shipped asap
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1488 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Which type of gimmick do you want? I can think of two at the moment.
As you don't seem to even have a plan, I wouldn't get too carried away with what colour you want.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
I do have a plan. Please pvt me the gimmick options.

Thank you
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1488 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Dear Curtis, I am not a McDonalds store were everything is laid out on the menu for you to pick and choose from. If that was the case, I would be giving my idea away for free. Email me details of your plan and an idea of what style/method you wish to escape with, I should be able to suggest the best of the two option.

If you have formulated you idea so quickly, this shouldn't be problem, I am happy to work with you to get the right outcome, (just like last time)

Ian
PS I do have a sight unseen master combo padlock for sale, email me if you are still interested
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
I emailed you. Thanks... Smile
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
I accidentally stumbled in here thinking I was clicking on "The Little Darlings" sections (seriously).

But this discussion is intriguing.

I had a deadbolt fail because the door jamb was cheap and it would flex.

Since the focus will be on the lock and typical deadbolts have a relatively large strike plate it would seem that all kinds of shenanigans could take place on the jamb or strike plate side.

Okay, I'm no escape artist. If you need any tips on applying a rubber nose I'm you're clown.

:clownjuggling:
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
We don't mind you posting here because there are already a bunch of clowns throughout every thread on the entire Café. The difference is that you're honest about it. Smile
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4468 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Hey who invited another clown along ..... I tought you guys all liked laughing with me!!!! Smile

Did you manage to escape (or break in) to the property with the decade deadbolt?

I have a net idea ......

You lie down in a house (model) laid on its side and the door is shut with a Yale type, 5 dead bolts and some loose chain just for good measure.then you kick back have a beer and watch some telly for half an hour.

Then ..... (this is the scripted copy righted bit so no stealing Smile ) you just nip out the back door...... Go down the local Pole dancing club .... And nope .... Lost it there...... Too busy thinking about the Polish bird,I saw dancing in the local club........ Ugly looking bird ..... Good music though.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Quote:
On 2012-08-31 06:49, dave_matkin wrote:
Hey who invited another clown along ..... I tought you guys all liked laughing with me!!!! Smile

Wrong, we enjoy laughing AT you, not with you.

Quote:
Then ..... (this is the scripted copy righted bit so no stealing Smile ) you just nip out the back door......

What do you do with me at the back door?
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Deadbolts? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL