The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Deadbolts? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4468 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Dean .... Dude .... In my opinion you hit the proverbial nail on the noggin.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
GUNNARSON

You are wrong!
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Q: Shut your festering gob, you tit! Your type really makes me puke, you vacuous, coffee-nosed, maloderous, pervert!!!
M: Look, I CAME HERE FOR AN ARGUMENT, I'm not going to just stand...!!
Q: OH, oh I'm sorry, but this is abuse.
M: Oh, I see, well, that explains it.
Q: Ah yes, you want room 12A, Just along the corridor.
M: Oh, Thank you very much. Sorry.
Q: Not at all.
M: Thank You.
(Under his breath) Stupid git!!

- Monty Python
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4468 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
It's a fantastic sketch Gliff but most of their stuff is ...... Marching p and down the square for example.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
The clown is ginger as well !!!!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4468 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
It's more yellow than ginger
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Quote:
On 2012-09-02 13:07, Kondini wrote:
The clown is ginger as well !!!!

Cool. I am now THE clown.

I'll take what I can get.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2012-09-02 09:04, magicofCurtis wrote:
GUNNARSON

You are wrong!

Congratulations, you've just confirmed my first impressions.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Wisdom is the ability to know the differences between things, Without wisdom you can not succeed.

Without wisdom, fame will be short-lived.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
OK... is this topic done? I think it is done. Lets shoot it and put it out of its' misery.
Magic is like Science,
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Barry Walls was an expert trouble shooter regards working out escape methods.

He always said if your beaten on a method or way to gimm think magnets!!!!

Ken
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4468 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Mmmminyeresting that's a plan. I'll knock up some ideas and pass them on to Ian
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Wha.... I leave for a weekend and all H-E-double hockey sticks breaks loose?! Enuff about ginger pubes.... first off, shave...it's the 21st century ferpetesake! And second... wait, I forgot what I was going to say. Darn that "glaucoma" medication I'm on!
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
magicbymccauley
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

Profile of magicbymccauley
Man I am thinking of SO MANY ways to rig up a deadbolt escape. But we're not allowed to post methods here, or else I will be crucified with chains and a ziptie.

But having installed many doors myself, there are SO MANY ways to do this. All the keysquirreling ones are a great option, as Ian mentioned earlier. Also there are bypass methods to think about which don't involve the lock but the door itself, the frame or the hinge. And as before mentioned "shenannigans with the strikeplate" that our favorite clown mentioned. Then there are possibilities with the deadbolt (rather than the lock) itself. Some of the worse models in the US actually unlock if you push the deadbolt horizontally into the door. So you could work around that.

A full size door won't do. It's too heavy and big. I wonder if you could get a small yard ironwraught gate (the kind for a waist high fence) and install a deadbolt in it. Then build a box around that.

A deadbolt is very convincing to a layman. They have to call a locksmith if they are locked out of a house with a deadbolt. Even the name is cool: "Deadbolt". People also think picking the lock of a deadbolt is IMPOSSIBLY HARD. It's also a common household item, which means that people accept it as an everyday object and it doesn't smack of fakeness.

I say it's a winner of an idea if someone can integrate it into a really cool trick.
"Tricks are about objects, Magic is about life."
-Max Maven
magicbymccauley
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

product display

BOOM!

Okay, so you buy one of these and cut off the top 1/3 with a metal cutting sawzall. Then you get some two by fours and drill them to accept the deadbolt/strikeplate. Build a box around it. You can buy a deadbolt that doesn't have a lever and can only be opened and closed by key. That way it only locks and unlocks from the outside.

You'll be mounting 2/3 of a steel door to wood, and wood is flexible, malleable, and you can carve it in "special" ways to effect the escape.

I just might build this. It's that cool an idea. (Also it would be cheap.)
-Max Maven
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4468 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
You should team up with Curtis ..... If you cut off half of the door you could go halves on the costs. I think that might be a little awkward around the hinge but hey you'll work it out.

Of course ow if you do make it, use it and someone goes a hunting (say on google) it won't take a lot to get here will it? deadbolt and that's without trying to promote this page.

Got to wonder where the logic is here. Not that I mind you spilling your guts about your escape before you make it. Your call.
magicbymccauley
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

Hey Dave, if they really want to know THAT BAD, and they really want to go thru the work of building it, AND they want to come up with a method (after all, I didn't divulge that, just some "ideas") then I say more power to them.

After all most people don't even do escapes or illusions because it's too much work to build or too expensive to buy. Abbott's book on escapes and book on illusions is among the best I've ever read. They're available from the Abbott's site for $10 a pop. In fact, you can get just about any escape or illusion from abbots BY NAME at $4 a pop. And that's not even mentioning all the illegal stuff for download on torrent sites.

If you're enough of a nerd and you're dedicated enough, you can figure out how 99% of this stuff is done. In the information age I don't think it's knowledge that's the barrier. It's time, work, effort and ability which is the barrier.

Sometimes desperate secret guarding to me seems like vanity. And since you and I (and most people in illusions and escapes) are pretty darn creative people, if someone manages to figure something out and steal it, WE just create something else.

If the idea was that original and that good and that creative, then yeah, maybe I would guard it better. All I'm saying is use old principles on a new prop (a deadbolt) and that's it. Since we are all in the know, WE know what those principles are. If you or anyone else wants to steal the idea, go ahead.
-Max Maven
magicbymccauley
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

AND ANOTHER THING!

I have had people steal from me before, to steal ideas, and to steal my business. And one thing I've learned is that people who steal ideas usually don't do them very well, and certainly not as well as you do. A couple of magicians I talked to told me to NEVER put my ideas for my ren faire act up on this board. To do so would be SUICIDE! People will STEAL those great ideas and use them for themselves!

The people who have stolen ideas from me? Well, they haven't done so well. Call it Karma or lack of follow through, or just being a pale reflection, but people have tried to steal my magic business (www.mysteryacademy.com) from me, but they simply can't. Why? It's a very original idea and it really takes ME in order to make that idea work. Sure people have stolen my way of teaching children magic and had a class or two. But no one has been able to take the concept and make a magic school like mine, one that has a thousand students a year. It just takes too much work for them, requires too many details and too much consistency. They aren't ME, and they're never going to be ME.

A lot of people think it's the IDEA that's the thing. The trick or whatever. I don't think so. I think it's the person. I mean, just as an example, Johnny Fox features "The stretching thumb" in his act, as well as "The Handkerchief Bunny". Jeff McBride can entertain a thousand people with the CHINESE STICKS! THE CHINESE STICKS FOR GODSAKES! THAT'S LIKE THE WORST TRICK IN MAGIC.

Why can these people do this? Because it's THEM that makes the magic, not the prop. Anybody can steal an idea. No one can steal you. If you're selling the tricks and the gimmicks, you're just selling the wrong thing.
-Max Maven
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Dave_matkin, I don't need to worry about $60.... I spend that on Chai Lattes and lunch everyday... But magicbymccauley has an idea that he could grow on.

Cheers
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Let me know if you ever want to buy me lunch too!
Magic is like Science,
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Deadbolts? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL