The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Deadbolts? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
GUNNARSON
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of GUNNARSON
I don't need to worry about $60.... I spend that on Chai Lattes and lunch everyday

$ 1,800.00 a month on Lattes ???? I said in an earlier post that,
"you sounded like a spolied little rich kid that was having a sissy fit for not getting his way"
I guess you just proved me wrong again, I am very sorry for ever calling you a spoiled little rich kid....
"Nothing Is Impossible, If You Truly Believe!"

www.alwaysescaping.com
magicbymccauley
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

Profile of magicbymccauley
I AM a spoiled little rich kid.

This is a fact.

But my parents only spent money on my "education" at "college" and never on any escapes or illusions.
Pssh. Now I have a college degree, but only a lousy set of darbys.
Imagine if they invested that money in illusions instead!
I'd have an entire full scale illusion show complete with Lance Burton flying car!

But NOOOOOO. I had to get "edumacated".

Well if anyone wants to debate Kant or the Categorical Imperative,
my parents paid $80,000 so that I could do just that.

And I'll continue building my pvc cloth illusions, and cardboard box penetration. *Sniff, Sniff*.

It's okay, I'll be alright...
"Tricks are about objects, Magic is about life."
-Max Maven
magicbymccauley
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

Second question: Aren't all people who do illusions or escapes "spoiled little rich kids"? I've yet to meet one who isn't.

David Copperfield certainly was.
-Max Maven
magicbymccauley
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

If any of you want a chai latte and lunch in DC I'll buy for any of you. You've all been very helpful. But I don't know about any $60. I mean it's DC but a sandwich doesn't cost THAT much. Some people just aren't value shoppers I guess.
-Max Maven
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2012-09-13 02:53, magicbymccauley wrote:
Second question: Aren't all people who do illusions or escapes "spoiled little rich kids"?

Yes, they AREN'T.
Quote:
I've yet to meet one who isn't.

If we ever have another convention, and you attend, you'll meet several.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4468 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
I can think of there'd (at least over here in the UK) who aren't SLiRKs.

magicofcurtis (I can't quiet work out your name from the user name) I wasn't saying you couldn't afford $60 ..... It was more that the door seems to be 2 times longer than you may need. McCauley seems to have all the ideas on the deadbolts, you have the funds .....may be you could collaborate his brains your Latte money (not that need to skip the lattes for the money).

If money is no object commission some work I believe The Amazing Jonathan 'makes' escape stuff. I don't know anyone who has any of his work .... But he says it's really good stuff.

Can anyone remembr DC doing a pure escape (not mixed with some sort of illusion work).
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I've got the brains... You've got the looks.... Let's make lots of money!
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
magicbymccauley
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

Dave:
Yeah, David Copperfield did a pure suspended straight jacket escape on his "Illusion" DVD. It was one of his best effects. Granted, there were some flaming ropes that were ahm... "illusiony" but, yeah.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Steve, sorry if I offended you I was only poking a little fun at magicians and illusionists and escape artists in particular. Anyone who has the budget to spend more than a thousand dollars on HANDCUFFS and oh GOD knows how much on illusions are very often people that aren't exactly working class and/or have a lot of money in large stacks, and/or have some rich investors.

I've been trying to become an illusionist and escape artist on the cheap by buying books and working hard to build stuff, but magic isn't a cheap hobby, and illusions and escapes are even less cheap. You need a large store of disposable income. I just bought two illusion books and it cost me $250. Yes they were great books, but in what other hobby do you spend $250 on books alone?
-Max Maven
magicbymccauley
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

Dave, I'm always down with all sorts of ideas. But I'm no illusion builder by far. I can give you 101 ideas of how to escape from something but I'm certainly not a blueprint guy or a carpenter. When I build something I usually don't do it with a measuring tape. It's more of a fitting objects-together-so-they-sort-of-work-Kinda-thing.

I've just created a few different varieties of shackles and I'll be showing them to you guys soon and you can judge which you all think is the most "deceptive". If you ever want to creates some nice looking shackles or restraints on the cheap, the plumbing supply house is really where it's at.

You can tell me how good you think they are, or... if they're crap.
-Max Maven
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
McCauley, yes props are VERY expensive. Does that mean that everyone who buys them is rich? I think not.

You would be surprised to see (in Philly) how many brand new Lexus' and BMW's are in the streets of North Philly,
one of the most poverty ridden and high crime rate area in the US. You probably WOULDN'T be surprised to
find that they also have the highest rate of repossesion... you know why?? Cuz they bought something they can't
afford! You're the first "rich" amateur I've heard of. Consider yourself very lucky, most people have to
work for years on end to make what your folks threw away on your "education".
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Yes, I love Chai Latte's and I love food. So I tend to eat yummy stuff and not $5 sandwiches for lunch.. My friends and family joke that I could retire in five years if I saved my lunch money.

To clear the record, I am not a spoiled rich kid. I make my own living and I don't have a rich investor.

I do lots of corporate projects and they pay very well. Usually they pay for the special made props for their events. Like this event. Most illusionist - magicians who have the large props builds their collection overtime and trade up for the bigger ones. Also, we don't tend to cry over spilt milk or how poor the market is. We tend to find a market that is doing well.

I have this project completed and had what I needed specially made.

I thank many who actually was part of the solution and not part of the problem.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Those who know me personally would agree that I am a nice guy and easy to get along with. It is sad that I simply asked for ideas with deadbolts and this conversation goes off to a rampage.

Here are two articles that shows some insight who I am and my way of thinking. I hope this clears up some wrongful or perceived views.

festivefinds

citizenla

Cheers
magicbymccauley
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

Nippulini:

You are correct. On both counts. I am lucky, and I am grateful. I could have been born to a different family, one that was born into poverty or the lower middle class. To be honest, I don't know if I would have made it in that situation. I am convinced that I likely would have ended up a criminal.

I don't think I'm rich seeing as I make what is considered "median income" in the United States. But I think what I'm saying is there is a little spoiled rich kid in all of us, and that we love spending money on toys and things which fasicnate us.

And yes, there are many magicians who can't afford the tricks and props but do it anyway. They go into debt or don't pay their bills to buy a new magic prop. I do know many people who do this and I've resolved never to do it, which is why I favor making my own escapes and illusions rather than dropping thousands of dollars. My stocks escape only cost me $80 and it's a giant escape illusion, which I consider a huge win.

In regards to magic I'm incredibly austere. I'm willing to bet I've spent less money on magic in my entire 13 year career than just about anyone else. And that includes money spent on supplies for all of my magic classes. But even at that, I'd say that is still an exorbitant hobby.

College was a great experience, it made me a more educated person. But it certainly didn't translate into earning power or a well paying job (that's why I turned to magic).
-Max Maven
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4468 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2012-09-14 01:22, magicbymccauley wrote:
I've been trying to become an illusionist and escape artist on the cheap by buying books and working hard to build stuff, but magic isn't a cheap hobby, and illusions and escapes are even less cheap. You need a large store of disposable income. I just bought two illusion books and it cost me $250. Yes they were great books, but in what other hobby do you spend $250 on books alone?

Ok it's not a hobby.. But .. Psychology books, books about assessment for dyslexia (range from £100 to £600)..

But when I did my Applied Biology degree I worked out that after 4 years I spent £700 on books. It would have been more but I stole some ..... Only joking I bought second hand (not. Lot cheaper as they needed to fairly recent).

Books can be a good investment too, as well as a source of info.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4468 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2012-09-14 10:55, magicofCurtis wrote:
Those who know me personally would agree that I am a nice guy and easy to get along with. It is sad that I simply asked for ideas with deadbolts and this conversation goes off to a rampage.

Here are two articles that shows some insight who I am and my way of thinking. I hope this clears up some wrongful or perceived views.

http://www.festivefinds.com/2012/08/inte......ape.html

citizenla

Cheers

magicofcurtis no disrespect or anything..... No attack on your 'nice guy easy to get along with' statement at all. I don't know directly. I know others on here do.

But in response to "two articles that shows some insight who I am" I have got to say this (and it's irrelevant of the content).....

What a crock. Do you expect us to believe that in ANY interview given to a press person that the content gives a true reflection of that person. Sorry but no it does not. Any performer chooses a persona, a prescience (ok not magic but ....AliceCooper for example, or 'Pop Hayden'). Then you present this character on stage, in the parlours, the resteraunt or the pub. Then you present that in interviews, press, adverts whatever.

Or are you saying you go on stage without planning a character, without acting in a certain way, you are just you in everything you do? If the latter is what you do, that's fine. I'll have a read and 'get now you a little' .

Please don't take offence there is one intended.
magicbymccauley
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

Curtis:

It's clear from the disagreements that you've had on this thread and your penchant for expensive latte's that you are a bad person to your core and we all shun you as the demonspawn you are. Your opinions on deadbolts also put you in a class of villan as bad as the masked magician. Thank you for revealing your "true colors" and we will always think of you as the firstborn of Satan. Just remember, every time you eat an overly pricey sandwich a demon gets their wings in Gehennom.

Anytime you would like to get a latte, I would be happy to oblige, even if it is an expensive one.

I guess what I am saying is to not take this thread too seriously. I'm sure you are a very nice demon.
-Max Maven
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4468 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Smile lol

I was not saying he's not a nice guy, he may be he may not. But you surely have to agree a press article is never going to be a true reflection of a person. It can't be it's the press. There is always a slant one way or the other. A performer should try. And get that slant moving the way they want it o. We have to manipulate ..... Or ease.... Massage...if you will, the publicity in to the way you want. But I just can't see a performer not using the press to their advantage. It just doesn't make sense not to.

If you want to get to know me I don't want you to go read an article (there are a few out there and they all have a slant that was out on by the writers and you know they are 'me' but a characature of me. I don't want any one to get to know me through a third party. Get to know me directly (and on,y then will you see how much of an ass I am)!

Have a nice wekkend.

Dave
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
You baaaaad old puddy-tat!
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
I agree, press is a slant, but if you read the the articles you would see my viewpoint on my craft. Client first, and how I measure success.
magicbymccauley yes, lets get chai's - YUMMY! ALso, if you are in LA, come check out my office/studio.... I have been told its a cool place...

Cheers
Mates
magicbymccauley
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

A studio where you create illusions and escapes is always an awesome place. I do have friends in LA so I may do just that. Plus I've never been to the magic castle. I make this other drink called cofftea. It's coffee, usually decaffinated, along with tea, milk sugar and hazlenut. I'm sure you'd love it, and I'm sure, being so inviting, that you are a nice guy.
-Max Maven
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Deadbolts? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL