The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Mass Shootings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-08-31 12:51, Slide wrote:
"Careful your envy of The United States is showing again. As I said earlier. It must drive people like you insane when you see how bountiful The United States is. Knowing full well that no other country on this planet has acheived what we have in such a short period of time."

I'd say SOMEONE is delusional.

Invest: Is that our dear Mark sneaking back?

You need not accuse yourseslf we already knew. But thanks for the admission.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-08-31 14:19, Tony Clifton wrote:
I would think that Aces over, as a successful businessman, may need to carry a weapon as he would have to make a deposit at the bank and so forth.

There is no constitutional right to carry concealed but from a perception standpoint I think I would rather not see the persons weapon, out of sight out of mind. It is seeing the gun that concerns me a little. Ed brought up my biggest worries when it comes to people carrying. Except for those with a reasonable need rather than percieved one they are more likely to pull out their gun and use it against some poor scmuck who made the poor choice of being on the same street as you. I like to use the 80/20 rule and in this case I think 80% is being generous, I think over 80% of those claiming they used their weapon for self defense did not in any sense other than in the head of the gun owner. "Hey Bucky Bob, I done heard a noise in the yard last night and I pulled my glock out of the drawer and the guy must have heard it cuz he ran off before I could go check. He didn't want any of what I was givin'" and for the rest of his life that guy claims he protected his family. That all being said I still understand the protection of controls and as I said before if a rational and trained person who has a need for a weapon more power to them.

When I first stared in business I did carry some cash that had to be deposited. But those days are gone and I really don't handle the receipts from the businesses any more it is all done for me. The only monies I still collect and actually enjoy collecting are the rents from my first investment properties and the pool rooms which I collect myself. The pool rooms are great as it is strictly a cash business. I have 14 family rentals and I watch these as this is where it all started along with the pool rooms. Now I am a little more spread out and do not have the time other than to manage other interests.

However I have carried for over 40 some years now and cannot see myself changing. It is part of my wardrobe. I only carry concealed.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Surely that's not possible. if you'd been carrying a gun for that long, you would have killed a bunch of innocent people by now.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On 2012-08-31 20:24, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Surely that's not possible. if you'd been carrying a gun for that long, you would have killed a bunch of innocent people by now.

He has. At least a dozen. I'm sure ed rhodes and Payne have proof they just won't show it.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I have never known any women muderers but I have known men who have been paid by women to muder men. I know three men who were paid by the wife to beat her husband, as he had beat her and when they did so and left, she killed him with a knife and said it was them. They were convicted of murder and she got away with it. I have known many muderers as I was a "listener" in court which is someone who listens to people who have just been convicted and may be thinking of killing themself more or less. There were few who had killed using a gun to do so. Many of then were someting to do with women and many had killed their women. I got to know many murderers in an open prison, where every murderer ends up if he is going to be released at the end of their sentence. The only fellow I recall knowing who went nuts with a gun was a guy who shot some people next door to him, who were having a party, he told them to turn the noise down and they never. I don't think he killed more than one but shot every one. According to him he did not own the gun and said it was his dads. I know a women who was having an affair with a cop, whos job it was to train cops to shoot etc and they, the women and the cop, tried to hire a hit maan to shot the husband. The hit man went to cops and ratted them out. Women can cause men to go nuts I guess. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:

:)
Tony Clifton
View Profile
New user
oakhurst, ca.
24 Posts

Profile of Tony Clifton
I must look like a thug because three women have, over the years, asked me to kill spouses for them. I just assume they are kidding and leave never to return.

Guns will never go away in this country and you need to choose your battles. I would think most people with carry permits are fine and will never cross the line.

In thinking about it I know two people who accidentally shot others. Once was a case of a .22 getting ready to be cleaned and it firing and hitting a fellow in the arse, make it three times. Another was the same type thing only the guy shot himself in the foot with a .22 pistol. That was interesting because the police had to fire to check ballistics because the gun was shot in city limits and in doing so the police repaired the gun to better condition before it was dropped and gave it back to the owner. The last was sad. A coworkers son was shot by a .357 and while hurt and hospitalized he became kind of a hero at school for being shot. The story at the time was the boys father had taken the gun out of the safe and accidentally shot the boy. The father did go to jail for it for a few months. The husband had a stroke a couple years later and after passing away the wife told me that what really happened was her two boys got into the safe, the father carried the numbers in his wallet and they stole it, and the one boy shot the other while playing. The father didn't want the boy to be in trouble so he took the rap.

Guns are deadly but so are so many other things. I am far more concerned with texters and drunk drivers than anyone with a carry permit.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2012-08-31 21:02, RobertSmith wrote:
Quote:

He has. At least a dozen. I'm sure ed rhodes and Payne have proof they just won't show it.

I notice I'm getting general digs now with no attempt to address my posts.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well I know a young fellow who accidentally shot someone with a gun. I have never met a nicer lad, he had the most impeccable manners, was real funny kid and he was such a meek and mild lad, well you just would not think he would do what he did. He owed some money to a big nasty guy. He had borrowed the money the money to buy a stall at market to sell fruit and veg. He went to talk about the debt with the big man. The young fellow took a gun to the meet for his own protection, as I think he was scared. They were sitting at a table talking it over when the big guy stated to get bit nasty and threated the kid. The kid pulled his gun out, but in doing so the gun it hit the bottom of the table top and it went off and the big fellow caught a bullet in his leg. Oh sorry, the kid said, I didn't mean to shot you. The big guy then stood up and dropped dead. The kid was convicted of murder. I guess that is the sort of thing that Ed is talking about happening. Perhaps?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On 2012-09-01 08:24, tommy wrote:
Well I know a young fellow who accidentally shot someone with a gun. I have never met a nicer lad, he had the most impeccable manners, was real funny kid and he was such a meek and mild lad, well you just would not think he would do what he did. He owed some money to a big nasty guy. He had borrowed the money the money to buy a stall at market to sell fruit and veg. He went to talk about the debt with the big man. The young fellow took a gun to the meet for his own protection, as I think he was scared. They were sitting at a table talking it over when the big guy stated to get bit nasty and threated the kid. The kid pulled his gun out, but in doing so the gun it hit the bottom of the table top and it went off and the big fellow caught a bullet in his leg. Oh sorry, the kid said, I didn't mean to shot you. The big guy then stood up and dropped dead. The kid was convicted of murder. I guess that is the sort of thing that Ed is talking about happening. Perhaps?

No. That's not what Ed is talking about.

Ed is talking about someone with a concealed carry permit shooting someone accidentally while responding to a shooting.

However, the bar has been lowered multiple times to keep up with his falling standards in these two gun discussions.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well what happened next was someone with a concealed carry permit shot someone accidentally while responding to this shooting. Smile

Tommy
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"I must look like a thug because three women have, over the years, asked me to kill spouses for them. I just assume they are kidding and leave never to return. "

Jesus...where the hell do you live?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Heaven

Tommy
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2012-09-01 09:51, RobertSmith wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-09-01 08:24, tommy wrote:

No. That's not what Ed is talking about.

Ed is talking about someone with a concealed carry permit shooting someone accidentally while responding to a shooting.

However, the bar has been lowered multiple times to keep up with his falling standards in these two gun discussions.

Yes. My original point was that someone minimally trained, with a concealed carry permit, would be more of a liability in an actual firefight.
I have used stories that I have read over the years, one of which actually has a person, carrying a concealed weapon, who used said weapon to scare off someone who was threatening him. Then he ruined his case by firing at the person as he was running away and firing across a busy street. (Luckily, no one was hurt.) Upon being arrested, he was astounded to discover that "self defense" does not cover shooting at someone who's running away from you.

I have read countless stories of people doing stupid things with guns. It concerns me that these people would be carrying concealed weapons around.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"Heaven"

We have different concepts. Your concept seems to more like my concept of the other place.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
The stories of CCW holders saving lives outnumbers lives lost by 5 to 1.

So if you are advocating that CCW holders are dangerous and should not be allowed, you essentially are wanting more people to die.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
According to this study you are more likely to be killed or wounded if you are carrying a gun than you would be if completely unarmed.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17......led.html

So it appears that ccw holders are more dangerous to themselves than unarmed people.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I am glad you did not say a "scientific" study- this just does not seem to be at all credible... "newscientist" tag notwithstanding...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Tony Clifton
View Profile
New user
oakhurst, ca.
24 Posts

Profile of Tony Clifton
Once was in Boston when I was offered money to kill a couples son in law who had deserted their daughter. The other was in Seattle by a woman who was abused badly by her husband as well were her children. He is alive and well I assume but he was persuaded not to keep the wife and kids from leaving the state. The last was just some chick in central California.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-09-01 18:13, Payne wrote:
According to this study you are more likely to be killed or wounded if you are carrying a gun than you would be if completely unarmed.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17......led.html

So it appears that ccw holders are more dangerous to themselves than unarmed people.

"We don't have an answer as to whether guns are protective or perilous," Branas says. "This study is a beginning."
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Mass Shootings (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL