The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Better than Cyril and Dynamo? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
movemonkey
View Profile
Loyal user
Detroit, USA
210 Posts

Profile of movemonkey
The video shared on this thread is far more genuine than this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOFFy17w37M or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1ykPY7Y3LY&feature=related
Bernardo Rodriguez
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Bernardo Rodriguez
The Laser illusion?! Are you serious?! That's a legit illusion with no editing. As for David Blaine's teeth trick it was a bit much, but he didn't pass it off like it was the main trick in his video. I see where you are coming from, but it's way better to steer away from thinking editing is needed for TV magic.
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
558 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
Quote:
On 2012-09-02 13:19, russ stevens wrote:
Hello Everyone,

When it gets to the point of "let's fake it so that repeated viewings won't show the method', then I guess it's time to just not bother at all with magical technique any more. Why not just fake the whole thing? Is this really what some of you think of as a jump forward in our art?

Whilst I kind of understand why the magicians involved do this kind if thing, please let's not all accept this kind of BS as acceptable. To think that we spent a large part of our lives learning what we have, to end up having it cheated using TV techniques is bad enough, but to hear some of you endorse it as acceptable is unreal.

Best,
Russ

I happen to think it all has its place when it's done well. But these two stooges are a bit much for me. Especially the lady "you take the cell phone and pay me back.". Come on, who the heck is gonna say that??? You could see personalized photos on her phone, duh.
coollter_mik
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of coollter_mik
Quote:
On 2012-09-02 15:06, Bernardo Rodriguez wrote:
The Laser illusion?! Are you serious?! That's a legit illusion with no editing. As for David Blaine's teeth trick it was a bit much, but he didn't pass it off like it was the main trick in his video. I see where you are coming from, but it's way better to steer away from thinking editing is needed for TV magic.

Copperfield laser illusion (street) is not legit at all. Yes he does a stage live version but its completely different from what we see on his Copperfield 15 years of Magic video (lot of camera editing)

Concerning the bottle trick I don't see any camera edit, its a genuine continuous shot. Stooge or not, clever gimmick or not, we can guess but only the people involved know the truth.
MagicMaddy
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of MagicMaddy
Just a side note, the opening can effect is by Nefesch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LOg38mf14o&feature=related And there is no way you can do it with a borrowed can. Therefore, I KNOW for a fact that the can part is 100% stooged. (Not to mention the fact that who in the world would buy a can, just to tote around the mall? You buy it to open up and drink.)
movemonkey
View Profile
Loyal user
Detroit, USA
210 Posts

Profile of movemonkey
I know from a trusted source this isn't stooged in the way you think it is.
If you want to know more PM me but please guys leave this thread here or wait for someone to move it to the secret sessions... That kid deserves better than exposure on a open forum.
Harrismatic
View Profile
Elite user
Greece
434 Posts

Profile of Harrismatic
Nefesch's version of the opening can looks different than the one on the video and can be done with BORROWED CAN. I was about to post it here.
MagicMaddy
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of MagicMaddy
Quote:
On 2012-09-02 17:37, Harrismatic wrote:
Nefesch's version of the opening can looks different than the one on the video and can be done with BORROWED CAN. I was about to post it here.

But you have to "Wipe it down" with a napkin. That is when you put all the "work" for lack of a better term into the can. He doesn't do that
Harrismatic
View Profile
Elite user
Greece
434 Posts

Profile of Harrismatic
There are simply different effects. just mentioned this because you said that the effect shown was nefesch's one. Nefesch's uses borrowed can and is not as direct as Yif's one but at least works for real people and not only in front of a camera. Yif's just seems too good to be true.
Don Dasher
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Don Dasher
It's actually quite poignant that you young magicians would think the Copperfield Laser illusion was a camera trick.

Living proof that magic has been damaged by magicians like Criss Angel and his use of camera tricks.

Incredible :O

DD
ahzhe
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of ahzhe
Second video is up, the bill changes are incredible
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-WCXafMF8Q
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
I've often wondered why so many magicians insist magic on TV should only be performed the way it would be if performed 'live'.
We don't insist singers only release live recordings without sound processing. We also don't insist all TV shows are recorded theatre plays.

I've no idea if these tricks can be performed live, and to be honest, I don't really care.

THREE WINS:

1) If someone watches this video and is entertained, it's done it's job.

2) If that makes someone more likely to book a magician to see some live magic at their event, that's great for us!

3) If it inspires a beginner to start the journey into magic, that's great for him and the magic community.

Regardless of the material being live magic or staged magic, there is still a lot to learn from it. Just like a singer can learn something from a processed pop song. As I mention in an article on the MoM blog, Yif does not rush the presentation, and allows the reactions too grow well after the magic has been performer. We can take from that and find ways to apply it to our own presentations.
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
TV magicians get a lot of stick. Few seem to appreciate -

A TV show needs some performances that transcend anything you can do live.
Magicians are not the target audience.
Blaine, Angel, Dynamo etc are skilled magicians.
Not every effect is a set up.

You'll find someone tearing into these guys on almost any magic forum. I'd like to see how many would turn down a series just because they didn't want to use a stooge or set something up. Not many I'm betting.
Don Dasher
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Don Dasher
Quote:
On 2012-09-07 03:17, Dominic Reyes wrote:
I've often wondered why so many magicians insist magic on TV should only be performed the way it would be if performed 'live'.
We don't insist singers only release live recordings without sound processing. We also don't insist all TV shows are recorded theatre plays.

If we see a singer live and they stink they are quickly panned. People also hate lip-synching. Singers who have to do that aren't as respected.

Magicians who use camera tricks are pathetic. On that we should all be able to agree.

Stop making excuses for the lowest among us.

DD
movemonkey
View Profile
Loyal user
Detroit, USA
210 Posts

Profile of movemonkey
Quote:
On 2012-09-07 03:17, Dominic Reyes wrote:

I've no idea if these tricks can be performed live, and to be honest, I don't really care.

THREE WINS:

1) If someone watches this video and is entertained, it's done it's job.

2) If that makes someone more likely to book a magician to see some live magic at their event, that's great for us!

3) If it inspires a beginner to start the journey into magic, that's great for him and the magic community.

Regardless of the material being live magic or staged magic, there is still a lot to learn from it. Just like a singer can learn something from a processed pop song. As I mention in an article on the MoM blog, Yif does not rush the presentation, and allows the reactions too grow well after the magic has been performer. We can take from that and find ways to apply it to our own presentations.

Totally agree, and Don, I don't think guys like Dynamo, Blaine or Cyril are "lower" than us...
Don Dasher
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Don Dasher
Quote:

Totally agree, and Don, I don't think guys like Dynamo, Blaine or Cyril are "lower" than us...

If you don't put your own ego above the good of magic as a whole I think you're above them.

Being on television does not elevate you to a higher level than other performers. It's what's inside that counts.

And to clarify, I don't have an issue with Dynamo, Cyril or Blaine. Criss Angel is really, really bad. He's known by LAYPEOPLE for his camera tricks and terrible stooge use.

You know what really is important? Not the methods. Just FOOL us. If you can't fool people stop doing magic. That is my message to Criss Angel. Go sing again or something.

DD
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-09-07 12:51, Don Dasher wrote:

Magicians who use camera tricks are pathetic.

I don't think it's possible to put on a successful, WEEKLY, TV show and not use them, or any other means to keep the target audience.

There are purist magicians that will not use gaffs and in private, they will tell you use of gaffs is cheating and not magic.

Is an actor that uses stunt doubles in film any different? The audience knows they aren't doing the dangerous work. Does that make them less an actor?

There have been actors that did their own stunts, said they did all the stunts and...no one cared. It didn't elevate them other than an interesting moment in an interview.

I had a discussion with a fellow Bob film fan and when Roger Moore took the role he said he was better than Sean Connery because he didn't use as many gadgets as Sean used to save the world. lol.

While I may have no interest in watching a magic TV show because it's a camera trick/stooge program, I don't think any less of the performer for doing it.

I knew someone that did landscaping for a living because it was hard, honest work. He looked down at people that worked in an office. lol.
davidyeung1991
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of davidyeung1991
Well I just want to answer the question of the tile 'Better than Cyril and Dynamo?'
No.the point is that the stooge so fake , the reaction is overreact. esspecally on self open can trick. the audence face react so much. not natural, like acting something.therfore I can say it is not possfessional compare cyil and Dynamo!!
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Question: Is a fully rigged out stage in a live show any better or worse?

It doesn't fool the cast, or the people also involved in putting on shows, but it's not supposed too. It does fool the audience (viewers) though..
movemonkey
View Profile
Loyal user
Detroit, USA
210 Posts

Profile of movemonkey
Quote:
On 2012-09-07 14:30, davidyeung1991 wrote:
Well I just want to answer the question of the tile 'Better than Cyril and Dynamo?'
No.the point is that the stooge so fake , the reaction is overreact. esspecally on self open can trick. the audence face react so much. not natural, like acting something.therfore I can say it is not possfessional compare cyil and Dynamo!!

There is 10 ways to do the self open soda can trick without a stooge and I know in that particular case they did it without a stooge.
All you need is to wait for someone buying your can right?
I don't want to expose everything on this open forum but I can tell you some famous consultant minds helped yif on this project and there is no stooge where you think there is. With clever preshow and preshow misdirection you can do miracles with real audience and "their borrowed objects"... Of course you can tell me it's way more simple using a stooge, but my friend who worked there as a consultant told me there is no way you can hire professional actors for a magic TV show in China (too expensive) and its even more impossible to hire random people and be sure they keep a secret... you cannot make someone sign a contract for lying... ALL they can do is to tell the audience before the magic that it would be nice if they have a big reaction (that maybe explains the overreacting) but there is no way to expose to them a magic secret.

Some magicians really seem to think they know everything, and use the stooge/camera edit door to explain everything they see in a TV show... maybe this is the easiest way to be sure "this cannot fool me and relax"

Now can we stop that topic or move it to the Secret Session for more exposure?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Better than Cyril and Dynamo? (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL