The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Performing name? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
I am getting ready, for the first time, to start doing magic professionally. I've done magic since I was 6, I am 26 now. I get offers all the time to do shows, but never take them. I am a college student, and both of my knees are bad, so regular jobs are very difficult for me. My wife wants me to pursue this too, so I'm going to. However, I'm wondering what you guys think about using your real name versus a stage name? My real name is Brian Tabor. I have thought that I want a name that will be easy to remember, and I don't want to be another "magic steve" so to speak. I want a name that can be remembered, so that repeat bookings are easier, etc. My wife and I played around quite a bit with ideas, and decided to play on the fact that I'm bald. (I shave my head). It started as cueball, then cue, then Q. Q the magician. The idea here is that it plays for adults and children shows alike, and is easy to remember for clients who later want to re-hire. Q is easy to remember, and sounds mysterious, or magician-like to me. On the other hand, there was a rather popular character on a TV show called Q once.

Several of my friends and family like the name, and say it fits my performing style.

What do you guys think?

And be honest, if you like it, you like it, if you don't, you don't. I'm not going to get offended if you don't, I need honest feedback.
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
Repeat bookings will be more influenced by the quality of your entertainment than the name you use.

I might suggest Professor Q, Mr. Q, or Dr. Q for your kids shows and just Q for when you market yourself for shows for adults.
Countage
View Profile
Veteran user
Charlotte
361 Posts

Profile of Countage
How about the "the Q" or IQ,
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Quote:
On 2012-09-04 19:00, MichaelDouglas wrote:

I might suggest Professor Q

That will never work. Smile
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Brian Tabor is a great name.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
David Kaye uses his real name for adult shows and Silly Billy for children's shows
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Quote:
On 2012-09-04 19:00, MichaelDouglas wrote:
Repeat bookings will be more influenced by the quality of your entertainment than the name you use.

I might suggest Professor Q, Mr. Q, or Dr. Q for your kids shows and just Q for when you market yourself for shows for adults.

Quite true it's you that get's the booking, but it does help a lot if your Pro name is catchy and easy to remember. Especially for children.
Tricky Ricky
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
729 Posts

Some great advice, and I appreciate it from all of you!
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Quote:
On 2012-09-07 16:47, Herr Brian Tabor wrote:
Some great advice, and I appreciate it from all of you!

Well, now you HAVE to tell us what you decided. What is your performing name going to be? Smile
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
729 Posts

Smile I am going with Q for adults, for renfairs I'm going with "something (sir, lord, master, etc)" Quinton Tayber Or Q for short Smile (don't know the title yet, we're doing research so make sure what's appropriate and the Tayber is an old spelling of my last name) and For kid shows I'm doing either Dr, Professor, or Mr. Q. Still some to decide, but the though process and everyone's support leads me to think I'm on the right track.
Kune
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of Kune
While this shouldn't be your deciding factor, people might have trouble googling your website if your name is Q. Other than that, I think it's a great name - Brian Tabor would also work well if you decide to use your real name.
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
I go by Andy Luka. My full name is Andrew Lukaszewski. I almost went by just Luka, seeing that I have gone by that name since grade school. But I decided that a two name thing fits me better. You should go by which ever you don’t mind being called. I think silly billy is a great performer, but if everyone was calling me a name silly billy I think I would go insane. That’s why I decided to go with my real name, but shorten it up a little to sound more appealing. Brett Daniels, David Blane, David Copperfield and Criss Angel all did the same.
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.deceptionsmke -My Show
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
I really think, "Tabor" works.'
If not, then use, "Robat" Tabor in reverse spelling.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
If you assume another identity, when people ask for you, you can immediately determine if it is business or which business they want to talk about. Think about something that will fit at least part of your real personality, something that is easily remembered, spelled and googled. Make sure the name will fit you in 20 years . . . Multiple names can confuse people too, I know. This is something that I would think about and then ask your target audience what is their thoughts. Give them several options.

IMHO many magicians are trying to impress people by being something they aren't. Thus you get the stereotypes: The boring comedy magician, the geek who tries to look "cool", the annoying one who plays "I'm smarter than you are ". Be yourself, you will be happier and probably more successful.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Performing name? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL