The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Combination MindPower Deck and iPredict App (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DavidMor
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of DavidMor
Great new effect. I recently purchased an iPhone magic App called iPredict. It is great. One calls a "Psychic" on your iPhone and she tells you which card your spectator chose. The spectator can even call on their own phone, or even text the Psychic. The Psychic tells them their card. Very convincing! One of the iPredict instructional videos mentioned using this final revelation with the Mind Power Deck by John Kennedy to control the card selection. So, I tired it. It is a VERY strong effect.

You start off with the MindPower deck ($40 and well worth it!) to have the Spectator (seemingly) select any card they chose. In reality, the Mind Power deck is working its gaffed magic. You take back the deck, but do nothing with it. You pocket it. You continue with the MindPower presentation, so you ask a few questions. These questions are very cleverly structured. It is hard to explain this, but the combination of the gaffed deck and the presentation are very clever and reveal to you what their card was. If you were doing only the MindPower trick, you would simply announce their card at this point. End of a good trick.
But, its better to shift over to the iPredict revelation once you have secretly figured out their card. Having asked only two questions from your spectator (like "You don't have a Red card, do you?"), you then profess complete confusion and tell them you need to call your Psychic for helpl. Or, they can call her on their own phone. They do, and the Psychic tells them their card. The effect is VERY STRONG. The look of incredulity on their faces is priceless.

The fact that you, in effect, stacked one deception on top of another makes detection impossible. But, the whole thing goes together seemlessly. You end up very clean, as you finish holding nothing; the Spectator ends with only a phone in their hand (usually their own phone.) The gaffed deck is a long forgotten and in your pocket, and, besides, they believe that all they did was pick select one card from it. What they can't figure out is how anyone could know, when they never said anything important, never wrote anything down, etc.
This blows people away, and is very entertaining.
The only problem is that it is tooo convincing. I had to tell one young woman that this was not truly the work of a Psychic, as she was too convinced that Psychics are legit. (That is a good problem to have- that your magic looks too real.)
Both tricks require some learning, so don't expect to get these one day and do it right away. I trained myself for two days before trying them out. At first I did one trick, or the other. Then I combined them. The main thing you have to learn is the PRESENTATIONS, not any difficult slights, etc. You need to be comfortable talking to people and working with them.

Thanks to the iPredict video instructor (Greg Rostami? and theory11.com )for this great idea. MindPower Deck is hard to find, but I bought mine from the magic warehouse. iPredict is from the App Store for iPhones, theory11.

The iPredict App is further discussed in the APPS-aloutely Posts. MindPower Deck by John Kennedy is discussed in other Posts under something like "workers".

Five thumbs up!
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
I see that this is an older posting, but I just wanted to let you know that I found this very informative and helpful. I'm about to snatch up a Mind Power Deck for sale in the Café at half price, because I remembered Greg recommending this deck and then your review brought the value full circle so I could understand it's relevance.

I do have one question for you. Are you using the cheaper iPredict+ application like me, or did you invest in the much more expensive iPredict Pro application ($99 + monthly service fee) that I'm still contemplating? I just haven't convinced myself that Pro is needed. If you have the Pro version, your constructive feedback on why I might want to go that route as well would be appreciated.

Regards,

Gary
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Combination MindPower Deck and iPredict App (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL