The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » No Retreat, No Surrender (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2012-09-09 19:40, Kevin Connolly wrote:
No love for Arnold Stang?

Oh yeah...and WALLY COX!
Real tough guys!
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Quote:
On 2012-09-10 19:01, Steve_Mollett wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-09-09 19:40, Kevin Connolly wrote:
No love for Arnold Stang?

Oh yeah...and WALLY COX!
Real tough guys!

True. I would never want to meet either one in a dark alley. Smile
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
What about the "red cell" guy, does anyone know how he is thought of?
(this is in regards to the SEAL sub-topic, not movie stars)
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Richard "Demo Dick" Marcincko. I don't know the answer to your question, but that's the Red Cell guy.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Tony Clifton
View Profile
New user
oakhurst, ca.
24 Posts

Profile of Tony Clifton
Ohhhhh oohhhhh, Commander Marcincko! He ran the base security tests in the early 80s. That is who you are talking about right? I didn't know he was called Demo Dick or what Red Cell is but he was in Little Creek Virginia and was a mustang officer. Was he on TV? Did they call him Demo Dick to his face?
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Yup. He's proud of the name. Red Cell is the "alleged" base security testing program. Not TV but he there's a doc on Red Cell that I think Paladin published.
~Will Rogers
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
He wrote a bunch of books ( the first was called 'red cell') on his experiences.
They were great reads (especially at high school age), but I wonder.

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
After the original Rogue Warrior book he says the rest of the series was fiction "based on" his experiences.
I know that he is very much the real deal.
I know nothing of what all is true about his personal problems with the Navy or theirs with him.
~Will Rogers
Tony Clifton
View Profile
New user
oakhurst, ca.
24 Posts

Profile of Tony Clifton
It wasn't alleged they tested security they did. Marcincko was very popular among the men, I have to check if he is still alive. He started SEAL Team Six I think around 1982ish. They were shooters that group. I'm not sure when they became the elite team but the idea then was they didn't want people to know how many teams there were so they had one (San Diego), two, and six in Little Creek and the idea was people would wonder where three, four, and five were. I have no idea if they have more teams now as I don't follow it. Since he was a mustang he was popular as most mustangs are (that means an enlisted man who becomes an officer). I have to see if I can find his books in the library. That was a small team back then but they would break onto ships and stuff. I was in the service, they took about two minutes to 'blow up' our ship. Gave them something to do other than beating up bikers and cops in Norfolk. Did they call the program Red Cell? It sounds cool, kind of Tom Clancy stuff.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
That's why I put "alleged" in quotes. I've seen footage of it, but according to Marcincko the Navy denied it and was ticked at him for talking about it. Certain folks in power were said (again, by Marcincko) to have been quite embarrassed.
~Will Rogers
Tony Clifton
View Profile
New user
oakhurst, ca.
24 Posts

Profile of Tony Clifton
I looked at his profile and they played with dates. I can assure you guys from Team six (I never heard of Red Cell until you mentioned it) accessed a Trident sub tender in 1982 because I was on it. All they did was see guys loading stores (cartons) and since you are carrying a big box they don't check your ID. These two guys just grabbed a box and went right on with the supply pukes and did whatever they did. Easy as pie. We did another drill with them where it was a major disaster drill. They were suppose to set up a bomb on the ship and all the officers and fire leaders were in what was called CIC or Combat Information Center (on that ship it was just a big office) and guess what they 'blew up'! The CIC! We failed the drill. He may have been doing his thing around 1980, the failed mission in Iran caused a lot of shifting of resources back then. I can believe people were embarrassed by the security on bases. They started tightening things up a lot around 1982 83 with additional check points and that kind of stuff. Everyone knew Marcinko by rep at least. As a mustang regular officers didn't like him even though he was pretty well educated but then again a lot of enlisted guys also were well educated.

What did this Red Cell do? Anything of note?
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Marcincko was the original Commander of Six. According to his books and interviews he used Team Six guys for the Red Cell operations. Marcincko says they took over many many Naval bases and wessels and such. They used stickers (I think they said "bang you're dead") to indicate where they would have placed explosives, and they tied up some high ranking officers and took photos.
~Will Rogers
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Oh right, "Rogue Warrior" was the first book. That's the one I read, I think I saw the documentary too.
So we have it first hand that it was legit, that's exactly the kind of stuff he describes doing in the book with exactly the same results.

Wizzard
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Wizzard
Todd Beamer!
It's never the wand, it's always the magician
Tony Clifton
View Profile
New user
oakhurst, ca.
24 Posts

Profile of Tony Clifton
Todd Beamer? I'm bad with names but there are knew ones.

Critter that is how they did it, to us it was funny. I never heard of Red Cell we just thought it was Team Six guys. It wasn't hard to get on most ships back then, if you have the look and carried yourself right you could get on. We also were allowed to bring guest on so not a biggie. I don't know how they can say security wasn't tested by those guys because everyone knew it. The hardest thing to get on is a submarine in a Navy port. The guards have loaded side arms, only place Navy has them loaded, you may see guys with side arms but no clip is in it, and if someone is spotted swimming toward one it is shoot to kill time. They had some suicides by sub in Norfolk. I have no clue if they ever got on a sub on a Navy base but a fast attack boat in a non-Navy port visit? I can see that happening, boomers (the bigger subs) tend not to hit any ports because many countries ask if any nukes on board and the reply is always "cannot confirm or deny" and it was hard to convince anyone that a boomer didn't have them.

Is that documentary on line Seadog?
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Todd Beamer helped kill the Islamist terrorists on Flight 93. Let's Roll!
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Tony Clifton
View Profile
New user
oakhurst, ca.
24 Posts

Profile of Tony Clifton
Ohhhhh, guy from San Francisco. Did they kill the terrorist before the wreck? I hope so.
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
Well, It couldn't have been after, could it?
Tony Clifton
View Profile
New user
oakhurst, ca.
24 Posts

Profile of Tony Clifton
No but to have killed him prior to the wreck would have indicated that the impact was not the cause of death but someone getting him on the way down.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

From what you can hear on the tape is the Americans storming the cockpit and breaking through the door. Then you hear some Arabic accents screaming as they were being beaten.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » No Retreat, No Surrender (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL