The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » I have committed - Just bought 1-3/4" White Fakini Set - New Act Imminent (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
923 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
I bit the bullet. I am going to be working on next years show over the winter. This show is going to have a ball theme. Currently I am going to be doing a Billiard Manipulation piece, Silk, Cone, and Ball, ala Dai Vernon, and likely the Cups and Balls. I have been practicing the basic dexterity exercises for Billiard Balls with 1.5" silicone balls I bought at party city. I have been watching billiard ball manipulation acts. I have been studying different texts on the subject. I got a set of white fakini's and an extra green ball for color changes. I will be looking into an extra shell to match the green ball and probably a flash four production, does anyone know what the angles are like on a flash four?

I will manipulate my balls off! Then if I am not satisfied I will probably buy Levent's DVD on Billiard Balls, I hear it is one of the best. I am seriously considering matching Fakini 1" Close-up balls for my cups and balls. I was seriously considering using the Billiards as final loads for the cups as part of the whole idea of cohesion I am working with here.

I know this post is random and all over the place but I just wanted to share. As I start to get the act together I will share more, including experiences with my ideas and videos of me doing it.

I love Sonny's work, and one other gentleman that I can't remember right now. I decided that it would be good for me as a performer to learn billiard manipulations as well as do a stage bit on the street.

I look forward to suggestions and comments from everyone, hope everyone's season has gone well!

Later,

Shaun

P.S. I am with Devious, Card Tricks are boring and my least favorite effect category right now. Personally, I love working on card magic, but more in the sense of gambling sleights. These are not ideal for street work. In my experience, almost anything plays better than cards. That isn't to say that good performers can't make cards entertaining, I just think they have to work harder to do so. You can make other stuff fun and entertaining easier.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Wow! Ambitious (no pun intended)!

I've been sloooooooowly working with my Vernet Porcupine Balls (that's what I call them, anyway) off and on; such a deceptively simple routine, so HARD to get smooth. I stop when my fingers feel like they're about to start bleeding...

I'm in the same boat with card tricks, in my experience on the street they just don't play that well unless they're rising card, haunted deck, ect type effects. That's not to say that I don't use a few (currently working McDonald's Aces into the second set) but they're few and far between. Generally the cards come out and people drift...

Good luck and keep us posted, Shaun!
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-09-11 00:32, Ekuth wrote:
Generally the cards come out and people drift

I never realized that. I always learn something new when you post.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Meh, nothing new in that fact, just took *me* a while to figure it out.

After you've got your set down to the 'auto mode', you can concentrate on performance and actually watch your audience; the ebb and flow, the reactions to various effects... which can, actually come down to a simple turn of phrase in your patter. It's odd, really, the way some effects just fry some folks and others just stare blankly.

It's the latter that make me constantly re-examine and tweak the routine, patter... sometimes it's just one word that can make a difference.

Like in C&B... there's a huge difference between "examine THE balls" vs. "examine MY balls".

Gotcha! Smile
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
HAHAHAHA. You got me!
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
923 Posts

Funny, I almost said that my new show was going to be centered around my big white balls, but decided not to derail my own thread with the first post.

I won't know if people like it for a while cause this is a serious endeavor as far as far as practice goes not to mention balls, droppers, etc.

I hope the similarities of the effects don't hurt the show. I am also considering writing rhymes for the first part.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2012-09-11 01:18, Ekuth wrote:
It's odd, really, the way some effects just fry some folks and others just stare blankly.

So true is this statement; in some cases, you can just hear the crickets chirping...

-----------
As for the billiards, Gr8gorilla, you made an excellent choice in purchasing Fakini balls - they are an absolute dream to work with and Frank "Fakini" Radtke was a dear friend for many years; he created an amazing thing for the magic community. Whether you even use any of the material within or not, I highly recommend the Levent DVD on billiard ball manipulation. It is very well produced and is just chock full of many different ideas and lots of great references that you will find useful, sleights and specific acts aside.

Having said that, whilst the Vernet porcupine balls (lol, Ekuth - I like that!) are not exactly Fakinis, they are unique and have their own place in routines with many different ideas. For the longest time I was using silver Vernet balls in my close-up act for a different style of manipulating balls; I handled them much like one would handle Baoding balls (sometimes called Chinese therapy balls). As for their colour and texture, they were "a derivative material made from a strange amalgam of metals".
Stperformer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Stperformer
Shaun/Gorilla
My 2 cents worth on ball manipulation on the streets.
The fakini balls are great, of course, and you can do a ton of things with the 1'5" balls.

It honestly took me a few years before I was able to work out a routine on the street that I was happy with and got the response I wanted. I will say however that the effort was well worth it Smile Few are gonna copy something that takes that much effort.

Okay, the nitty-gritty. The standard classic ball routine on the street will be sorta okay but....from the laymen's point of view rather repetitive and boring with those 'trick balls'.
Several years ago I was sitting in a Café with a rather accomplished magic who had placed extremely well at FISM (and gloating)with his billiard ball routine. I bet him that I could get a better response on the street by simply doing the human hen (balls from mouth) than he could doing his routine. He bit. Out he went and performed his routine (it was brilliant). I followed with a balls from mouth routine I do. After his routine people applauded commented how good it was and walked away. I did mine, people laughed, bantered with me during the trick and stayed wanting to know if I was going to do more.

This somewhat points out the problem you gotta overcome with the billiard(?) ball routine on the street. First of all, no one thinks they are billiard balls. Secondly, it is more of a puzzle where people deduce that balls are 'coming out of each other'. And most ball routines have closure where you finish the routine, people applaud, and you go onto your next unrelated trick. This is where people walk.

Size of the balls makes a huge difference. A 2 1/8" ball routine is very much visually different than a 1 1/2" ball routine.
My advice is to spend time becoming technically proficient and than keep it real simple. And entertaining. Adding music can add a certain touch.
Angles aren't as much of a problem as you might think if you put in some thought.
Color changing ball is nice but I get a much much much greater response by using Benson's no move color change and turn it into a lime.
I find the routine does better once you've established a relationship with the audience, rather than using it a the beginning.
And of course as Vernon use to say, how do you get into it and how do you get out of it.

There you go Shaun. Hope you have fun with it. I find the billiard balls are addicting. Luv 'em.

:)
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
923 Posts

I got the 1.75 fakini balls.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
The difference between the 1.5 and 1.75 balls is pretty much negligible and you should have no problems doing just as stperformer mentioned. If you were to go up in the 2 inch, 2-1/8 inch or 2-1/4 inch range, then you really notice a difference, especially if you have smaller hands.

Also mentioned above, angles are not hard but you do have to keep your mind on them once you figure it out as they will obviously change from place to place. One maxim to remember: If the audience sees the 'seam' then your magic is not 'seamless'!
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
923 Posts

I wanted to go bigger but wasn't sure how big. I figured the 1.75" would be good for starting out.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Yes, 1.5-1.75 are ideal for starters. The age-old idea in billiard ball manipulations (and other things as well) is to start with smaller sizes, then once you have learned the effect very well and can do rehearsed routines without hiccups, then you can move up in size. Roy Benson was known for telling his students that as well.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
923 Posts

The 1.5" balls I have been practicing with are silicone balls from party city...$2.50 USD for 6. Can't wait for my Fakini Set to arrive! I am READY!
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
923 Posts

I fully expect it to take until next season for me to have a passable billiard ball routine I can start putting through the ringer on the street. I figure that I will do like I do with most routines. I will start with the long version. I will show it in my shows and note what gets good reactions and what doesn't. It will evolve from there. I would guess by the end of the year (next year that is) I will have something that the streets enjoy!
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
On a side note: Where did you order your set from, if I might ask? Just curious.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
923 Posts

I ordered these from Tannen's. They have a pretty good stock of everything right now. Everyone's price is about the same, give or take $5. Only a few "real" shops have them these days, aside from a couple of eBay sellers. I didn't get a Flash Four finale yet. Can anyone tell me if it is difficult or simple to perform? I mean is it a lot of practice time? Should I get it soon or can it be added to the ending without excessive practice?

Here are the pics of what I ordered. I set of White and a single Green ball. I have noticed that the shell does grab at the ball or vice versa and it will take practice to separate them reliably.

Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I was just curious where you got yours because everyone was on a VERY long waiting list for backorders, and they just shipped the new stock to dealers a couple of weeks ago. In a matter of another week or two, this new batch will be pretty much gone at all major dealers, so you got yours just in the right time frame!

Flash four is not hard to do, but it does take some experimentation of placement and you do have certain routining angles to watch for, but nothing difficult. Personally I hardly ever use my F4 because I do the 8 billiard routine from the book, The Principles and Deceptions of Arthur Buckley, but from time to time, I do cheat. ;-) Also, the space inside your jacket is premium real estate, you also have to account for a bit more space for the Flash Four.

As for the s***l issue, I like mine to have that grab you are talking about and you will be able to separate them easily with practice, but if you do not want it to stick, there is a solution. Have you ever seen those little felt or rubber pads you stick under certain types of boxes (or other items) to protect the furniture/cabinetry that they sit on? You can stick one of those in the middle of the s***l, and stick four more around the inside of the edge, spread out evenly. The felt ones work fine and all it serves to do is put a gap between the s***l and the ball to prevent it from fully nesting. This technique is used in plastic and wood sets to prevent noise during a certain move.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1893 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Jimmy Talksalot gets a lot out of his ball act on the street. I think he uses the loop ball.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
923 Posts

I got the Buckley book, principles and deceptions. For some reason I always believe that trying to learn from Buckley is extremely ambitious. Regardless of whether it is cards or or any type of magic. Does anyone else ever feel this way?
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
Wow, I can’t believe I have been missing out on this. There is some amazing information in here. Gorilla, I think it’s really odd that at the same time we were working on the cups, and now like you I am working on multiplying balls.

I was at the Houdini club Convention over labor day weekend (have to brag real fast and let everyone know I won first place in the close up competition) Anyway, I was lucky enough to sit and talk with Tim Wright (Skilldini). But he inspired me to pick up my set of Billiard balls again and actually routine it. I ended up getting his DVD that teaches some basics (much of which I already knew).

I don’t have Fakini's I use the JL Mirage Billiard balls. To be honest these ball are great but I am not too sure which size they are.

I currently have Tim Wrights DVD, and the chapter in “now you see it now you don’t” by bill Tarr. That’s all the material I have on Ball manipulation. Does anyone have any other recommendations?
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.bigguysmagic.com -The Best Magic Shop
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » I have committed - Just bought 1-3/4" White Fakini Set - New Act Imminent (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.33 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL