The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Ye Olde Magick Blogge? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Alewishus
View Profile
Inner circle
parts unknown
1211 Posts

Profile of Alewishus
Quote:
On 2012-09-21 20:03, Roland Henning wrote:
Quote:
I'm personally ashamed I ever had anything at all to do with magic or magicians.


That's why I started my blog.


Cheers! And that's why we read it!

A.
Sack subs, ok Ross?
We miss you asper.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"That's why I started my blog."

Well, it worked.
billmarq
View Profile
Special user
State near Arizona
570 Posts

Profile of billmarq
Slide - it is the nature of the Internet to bring out the worst in people, whether magicians or anyone else. I say this having been an administrator on a message board for aspiring screenwriters for eleven years. If you were a member there, you would also be disgusted at the way people with a common bond behave toward each other and would be shocked at some of their opinions. I could give a lot of examples, but the parallel with what goes on here makes it unnecessary to do so.

In short, my suggestion is to not give up on magic or magicians because of what you see here and on some blogs. The people I have met through my local club are a wonderful bunch. They do charitable work and contribute to the community, and are just fun to be around..

I do not know what it is about the World Wide Web that encourages some people to concentrate on the negative but that is the way it is. After glancing at a few of the various blogs, I decided to no longer visit them. I remain here because in spite of the occasional fight, there is much more interaction that is good. The fact is, most of the people here would get along just fine if they were in a room together, face to face.

Hang in there.
Honi soit quit mal y pense.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Great People - discuss Ideas.
Good People - discuss events.
Average People - discuss other people.

P.s. Have your people call my people.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2012-09-23 11:47, Devious wrote:
Great People - discuss Ideas.
Good People - discuss events.
Average People - discuss other people.

P.s. Have your people call my people.

I like that - thanks for posting it.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
billmarq
View Profile
Special user
State near Arizona
570 Posts

Profile of billmarq
I do not wish to be morbid but I would like for everyone to consider just how powerful the written word is, how simple "opinion sharing" can affect others whom we do not really know except as characters on the internet. One of the members of my board committed suicide after an exchange of opinions with several others on my board. He burned himself alive inside a car. There is a real world out there and many people take this stuff way too seriously. Think about what you write.
Honi soit quit mal y pense.
Laurent van Trigt
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Laurent van Trigt
Hey folks, I never thought my initial question was going to result in a thread like this one. I was just wondering what happened to Andrew's blogs. They were really great resources (possibly the best out there) on magic theory/psychology and I just loved Andrew's writing style. Whatever the reasons are, these blogs are now gone and I'm still hoping Andrew may reconsider getting back online. He's also left this forum after many years of constantly helping other magicians. So Andrew, if you are reading this, the magic community needs you!
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1107 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On 2012-09-23 13:52, Laurent van Trigt wrote:
Hey folks, I never thought my initial question was going to result in a thread like this one. I was just wondering what happened to Andrew's blogs. They were really great resources (possibly the best out there) on magic theory/psychology and I just loved Andrew's writing style. Whatever the reasons are, these blogs are now gone and I'm still hoping Andrew may reconsider getting back online. He's also left this forum after many years of constantly helping other magicians. So Andrew, if you are reading this, the magic community needs you!


+1000!!!!
Alewishus
View Profile
Inner circle
parts unknown
1211 Posts

Profile of Alewishus
Quote:
On 2012-09-23 11:47, Devious wrote:
Great People - discuss Ideas.
Good People - discuss events.
Average People - discuss other people.

P.s. Have your people call my people.

We're talkin' about bull ****ter's here, right?

A.
Sack subs, ok Ross?
We miss you asper.
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Quote:
There is a real world out there and many people take this stuff way too seriously. Think about what you write.
FatHatter
View Profile
Regular user
I'm here you're there and that's that.
137 Posts

Profile of FatHatter
Quote:
On 2012-09-23 12:52, billmarq wrote:
I do not wish to be morbid but I would like for everyone to consider just how powerful the written word is, how simple "opinion sharing" can affect others whom we do not really know except as characters on the internet. One of the members of my board committed suicide after an exchange of opinions with several others on my board. He burned himself alive inside a car. There is a real world out there and many people take this stuff way too seriously. Think about what you write.


Condolences for your board member. That being said one is not responsible for how another reacts to the spoken word. Sticks & stones & mental health and all.
billmarq
View Profile
Special user
State near Arizona
570 Posts

Profile of billmarq
Quote:
On 2012-10-02 12:31, FatHatter wrote:
Condolences for your board member. That being said one is not responsible for how another reacts to the spoken word. Sticks & stones & mental health and all.


There is however such a thing as responsibility for the consequences one's actions. I have a very real friend who, due to a tragedy, became an alcoholic within the last three years. He no longer lives anywhere near me but does frequent my board. He freely admits his condition and has been prone to alcoholic ramblings on our board. Another member suggested that he drink himself to death since he enjoyed it so much and that would be the best way to die. Would you consider that an appropriate remark? I don't, and yes I did deal with it. I also contacted my friend and offered to help him in any way I can. Life is too real. The people behind the "masks" are real people and the notion that words have no consequence or that the deliverer of the words has no responsibility is simply not true. I certainly would not want to know that I had contributed to the tragic demise of another human being.

I am not against criticising a bad magical performance or disagreeing with another person's opinion, but any intelligent person should be able to know where to draw the line. Ad hominem attacks are out of place on a message board. Encouraging suicidal behaviour is wrong. I do not intend to sound "preachy" but I have seen enough tragedy in my life due to internet behaviour and really do wish that some people who post on boards would exercise better judgment. I've said enough. Thanks for reading.
Honi soit quit mal y pense.
FatHatter
View Profile
Regular user
I'm here you're there and that's that.
137 Posts

Profile of FatHatter
Quote:

There is however such a thing as responsibility for the consequences one's actions.


I'm guessing the last word in the sentence was gonna be causes. My interpretation of action is action not the spoken word.
Responsible for what one says? Yes, in that one would stand by what one says and speak the truth as one sees it. Responsible for another's reaction to the spoken word? Nope!


Quote:
Another member suggested that he drink himself to death since he enjoyed it so much and that would be the best way to die. Would you consider that an appropriate remark?


I do not consider it inappropriate. I have a good friend that advocates that position with regularity and fervor. Yes there are many different views expressed by the inhabitants of this world.

Quote:
Life is too real.


I think it is perfectly real and would have it no other way. Less Real = More Fake

If a person can't handle the written word they need to steer clear of the internet.
I will not be responsible for someone's perception.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1194 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On 2012-09-23 11:47, Devious wrote:
Great People - discuss Ideas.
Good People - discuss events.
Average People - discuss other people.

P.s. Have your people call my people.


I have no idea what you're talking about...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4062 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2012-10-03 01:16, billmarq wrote:

There is however such a thing as responsibility for the consequences one's actions. I have a very real friend who, due to a tragedy, became an alcoholic within the last three years. He no longer lives anywhere near me but does frequent my board. He freely admits his condition and has been prone to alcoholic ramblings on our board. Another member suggested that he drink himself to death since he enjoyed it so much and that would be the best way to die. Would you consider that an appropriate remark? I don't, and yes I did deal with it. I also contacted my friend and offered to help him in any way I can. Life is too real. The people behind the "masks" are real people and the notion that words have no consequence or that the deliverer of the words has no responsibility is simply not true. I certainly would not want to know that I had contributed to the tragic demise of another human being.

I am not against criticising a bad magical performance or disagreeing with another person's opinion, but any intelligent person should be able to know where to draw the line. Ad hominem attacks are out of place on a message board. Encouraging suicidal behaviour is wrong. I do not intend to sound "preachy" but I have seen enough tragedy in my life due to internet behaviour and really do wish that some people who post on boards would exercise better judgment. I've said enough. Thanks for reading.


+ 1, Bill.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
billmarq
View Profile
Special user
State near Arizona
570 Posts

Profile of billmarq
Thanks, Chessman.

As for the earlier poster, I do not know how to respond to a person who believes it is "not inappropriate" to encourage another human being suffering from depression, who faces life by drinking himself unconscious on a daily basis, to go ahead and kill himself, and not assume some sort of responsibility if that scenario comes to pass.

I suppose it is time for me to move on to other topics. Magic, maybe.
Honi soit quit mal y pense.
FatHatter
View Profile
Regular user
I'm here you're there and that's that.
137 Posts

Profile of FatHatter
Quote:
On 2012-10-03 22:16, billmarq wrote:
Thanks, Chessman.

As for the earlier poster, I do not know how to respond to a person who believes it is "not inappropriate" to encourage another human being suffering from depression, who faces life by drinking himself unconscious on a daily basis, to go ahead and kill himself, and not assume some sort of responsibility if that scenario comes to pass.

I suppose it is time for me to move on to other topics. Magic, maybe.


Other poster here! There is no need for you to respond. I hope you realize that the way you perceive things isn't the only way and maybe, just maybe, you don't get to be "right" because there doesn't always have to be a right & wrong.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4062 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2012-10-04 10:35, FatHatter wrote:
I hope you realize that the way you perceive things isn't the only way and maybe, just maybe, you don't get to be "right" because there doesn't always have to be a right & wrong.


As long as you realize that this applies to you, as well.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
FatHatter
View Profile
Regular user
I'm here you're there and that's that.
137 Posts

Profile of FatHatter
Quote:
On 2012-10-04 12:06, Chessmann wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-04 10:35, FatHatter wrote:
I hope you realize that the way you perceive things isn't the only way and maybe, just maybe, you don't get to be "right" because there doesn't always have to be a right & wrong.


As long as you realize that this applies to you, as well.


You must be kidding.
What kind of idiot would I be not to know that what with me saying it and all?

Seriously Chessman do you think you are responsible for the way someone reacts to something you said?
You: "How's it going?"
Guy having a very bad month: Punches you in the face.
You: "Well I shouldn't have offended you like that, sorry."

Extreme? You bet. Point is how are you to know what offends?
That and you carry the burden of being responsible for Guy having a very bad month's action?

Oh, Andrew needs to continue his blog. Good stuff in there, brain thinking kind of stuff.
wiffledust
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of wiffledust
I agree 100 percent with billmarq. It is perfectly obvious to any normal objective human being that there is plenty of fault here on BOTH sides. I cringe at the perception laymen might have of magicians if they ever read this nonsense. Some changes definitely need to be made. I think a very good start would be for that awful Henning blog to be taken down or at the very least watered down dramatically. In it's present form it is an absolute disgrace.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Ye Olde Magick Blogge? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL