The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Gospel Magistrolaphobia (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Guys (*see note @ bottom)
I have been sort of "isolated" magically from other people who perform. I have only seen a couple of shows on TV (in the past 35 years) where people perform, and about 99% of that was stage magic. So when I hear people talking about doing strolling gospel magic, it sends shivers up my spine (covering the angles alone gives me a panic attack.). Guess that makes me a Magistrolaphobic Smile Smile Smile .

About 98% of all my performed magic has been in church in a stage type setting, i.e. me up front, with at least a short distance between me and the audience.

I need help. Smile Smile

Although I have a very active imagination, it is still not yet completely geared to gospel magic, and not at all geared to walk around gospel magic.

From what I hear, this is a very effective way to reach small groups, and I need/sincerely want to learn this.

If anybody has any suggestions I would appreciate any help you could give me, such as:
Books or videos to get ideas from.
How to cover the angles.
What tricks work well with walkarounds.

And... anything else that you think might help me.

I know that this is an awfully big request, so I thank you in advance for any help or even just encouragement anyone can give to a struggling Magistrolaphobic Smile thanks and
Godspeed
Steve Smile

Ps (*note @ bottom)
Ladies, I am an old army type person, so to explain my intro, i.e. "Guys", where I've been, in army talk, this is a generic term meaning people. Not male people, just people. So when I say this, I am not trying to be sexist, or leave out Female type people, it is just an old army habit, and makes things simpler. Please ladies, if you can help I would much appreciate any help/suggestions you have to offer.

PPs As I am probably the last person in the world above the age of 3 that can't type, please excuse the errors.
Thanks
Steve Smile
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
492 Posts

Profile of DougTait
Steve; While I ponder your question, let me first suggest that you build on what you already have accomplished. You said that you have experience with doing magic in church from a stage setting. You Wonderful! You are already ahead of the game.

As I understand your concern it's the proximity to your audience, angles, and the fact that you are "not completely geared to gospel magic".

Look at your stage presentation and eliminate everything that requires large props. If you can't keep your props in your pocket or somewhere on you, they won't work very well, or at all, for walk-around.

What comes to my mind is:
Rope (cut and restores, Prof's Nightmare)
Paper (torn and restored, tear - no-tear)
Cards (a subject all of its own)
Sponge balls or similar effects. (Multipling, changing)
Coins
Pens, pencils
Rubber bands.

There are many more but I think you get the idea.

All of these effects are virtually angle-proof. Now you just have to put a message with the effects (Not necessarily with EVERY effect) and get over your hesitancy to work "close-up".

The fear of working close-up is somewhat mitigated by the effects being angle-proof, and since most of the effects are relatively simple to master, practice will bring on confidence and the confidence will in great measure, overcome the fear.

There is a wealth of references and information available for gospel presentations. I will get back to you with some ideas. In the meantime I hope other members will add their comments to this discussion.

Blessings......Doug

PS. Don't worry about you typing skills. We have very well paid Smile Grammar Hosts here at the Café that will correct any mistakes.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Thanks Doug,
I've done the ropes, paper, sponge balls, and some rubberbands, but never closer than a few feet.

I can see where the Professor's Nightmare, and cut and restored rope could be covered easily, but only because I have rather large hands. I can also see sponge balls being easily concealed. I guess, as you suggest, I just need more practice time to build the confidence in myself.

Luckily, I have a ready made audience/practice partner in my son, who is a budding magician. We check each other to make sure the trick looks good before we do it in front of real people Smile . I guess that would logically work with close up also.

I really appreciate the suggestions, and encouragement, and eagerly await your suggestions for gospel presentations, along with anyone elses ideas and suggestions also. Thanks again Doug, and
Godspeed
Steve
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
492 Posts

Profile of DougTait
Steve: I listed some web sites that I am familiar with and can recommend.

Dock Haley Magic: This is the world's largest dealer in Gospel magic products. The owner is Steve Varro who is the president of the FCM (next link) http://www.gospelmagic.com/

Fellowship of Christian Magicians: This site has several links to members web sites. If you are going to do Gospel Magic on a regular basis, I would recommend joining FCM. The publish a monthly magazine and have an awesome convention every summer in Marion, IN. The convention is great for families as they have workshops for children and include seminars on juggling, ventriloquism, clowning, story-telling and chalk art as well as magic. http://www.gospelcom.net/fcm/

Duane Laflin: Duane is one of the countries top silk workers and manufactures a lot of his own silks. He has a large selection of Gospel-related effects. He also has written a book called "Greater Gospel Magic" which I believe is the most thorough and relevant book on the subject. If you do a search on the Café, you should find a review of it. http://www.laflinmagic.com/

Andre Kole: Andre is one of the top and most prolific large-effect creators in the US. He has created several illusions for David Copperfield and other headliners. He tours with Campus Crusade for Christ and sells a three ball gospel effect that you will see on his web page. http://www.andrekole.org/

Take a look at these and go back through the previous threads here under The Good News. These resources should get the idea juices flowing.

In His name.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Hey Steve,
Hi there! I'm a bit similar to you. I live in Taiwan where there are only a few foreign magicians, and none where I live. I've learned most of my magic by myself; there are no clubs here to join. I remember well the first time I used my TT on the street. I was petrified. Well in maybe over 1000 times using it, I've only been busted a handful of times.
All that to say is one of the best ways to try and get over the fear hump is "get out there and practice in the real world situation". Of course I've learned that for me the TT is not something I do a lot in broad daylight extremely close up. I have to watch the angles from my left side where they may have a direct view of my right hand. The colors of mine don't match my skin very well at all. I feel a lot more comfortable doing it close up in the evening.
I'm not sure if this has been any help to you at all. I'm sure some of the other very helpful brothers here can offer much more sounder advice than me.
God bless.
JoJo
Magic guy in Perth Australia
phill
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
365 Posts

Profile of phill
Steve -
Good topic! One 'trick' I have used, surrounded, is the pencil and quarter trick (Magic for Dummies).
I used a pencil with a gospel message printed on it. I think Oriental Trading is a source for these. Give away the pencil after the trick. The idea is that the quarter is symbolic of sin and Christ takes away our sin completely by His death, burial and resurection. I also like the saying that He throws our sin in the depths of the sea and posts a "no fishing" sign (Corrie Ten Boom)!

peace,
phill
Scripture, Sculptures & Surprises!
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
WOW Doug,
That is GREAT!!!
That is a whole lot of resources, Thank you Very much, that should definitely get the creative juices flowing, but I am always open to suggestions.

I am probably the guy they made up all those "To many sharp blows to the head" jokes about, so I can always use more input.

That 3 Ball gospel illusion Looks real good, Although it doesn't look like a strolling trick, I think I'm going to get the small/Lite version, when I get a little cash. I can't believe that price Smile , $20 is nothing to pay for an illusion of that sort.

I was a member of FCM almost 20 years ago, guess I need to get back with them too.

That Doc Haley Site seems to have a lot of great stuff also.

Haven't gotten to
http://www.laflinmagic.com/
yet, but I probably will pretty soon, I seem to be in a time squeeze, with 2 kids at home, everybody wants the computer at the same time.

Thanks again Doug, this will give me several real good places to start.

Godspeed
Steve Smile

Sorry, Jo Jo, and phill, the net kicked me off, and is acting funny, so if I get thru this I'm gonna sign off for a bit, and try to get everything fixed, but for now thanks for the help. More later.
Godspeed
Steve Smile

UPDATE Nov 8 2003

JoJo
Well, I'm back, it was a long messy thing but I think I have all my internet problems fixed Smile , at least for now. Smile

Jo Jo, I want to sincerely thank you. You went through exactly what I am going through, and you seem to have come through it pretty well. I know that most people probably have the same troubles starting out, but it just sort of overwhelms me at times, and I get an eeyore complex.

You know, the old;

"We're all doomed, there's no hope, we might as well give up now."

But in reality, I know that this is worth doing, and that most of my anxiety is self inflicted. I just need to, as you so eloquently put it:

Quote: "the best ways to try and get over the fear hump is "get out there and practice in the real world situation". "

And that's what I am going to do. Thanks for the encouragement Smile

Steve Smile
zzz

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Gospel Magistrolaphobia (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL