The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » A new show from Jonathan Goodwin (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Quote:
On 2012-09-18 04:35, Kondini wrote:
if you can do it by not prostituting your art then that's deserved success.
Ken

I stopped reading on the word prostituting.... then I thought for a second... then continued and OH, You have to read the entire sentence before you answer....
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Well if using people you know, not crediting them for their support and then selling out the art is not specific enough for you magicofcurtis I don't know what would be specific enough for you.

Try a search for "the magicians" see what comes up. Or come along to the next UKEA meeting we did have promise of a very talented,skilled and liked EA would be dropping in ........but alas ..... It was not to be! Eh Jay? Such a shame!
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Hahaha brill reply.
magicbymccauley
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

Profile of magicbymccauley
Prostitutes make good money. Unfortunately they end up paying it to pimps or misspending it. And yes I am talking about entertainers. Some have called me a prostitute because ive taught the cups and balls to thousands of children (which includes a phase by dai vernon.) Am I genuinely furthering the art and preserving it for future generations? Or am I just a smelly pirate hooker who's exposing secrets to make my living? I know Eugene Burger was very upset at me teaching equivoque. One mans prince is another mans sell out. People used to hate David Blaine and penn and teller. Now everyone.loves rhem. Being a sellout in a world of deception is a tough line to find. If I do a simle mirror box illusion and then explain it to kids to demonstrate how geometry works in magic, am I a horrible monster?
"Tricks are about objects, Magic is about life."
-Max Maven
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
What are you if you take a mans livelihood away by degrading his act through exposure for gain. Look if that's your way it's not mine enough said, do your homework on this.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2012-09-18 13:15, Kondini wrote:
Once more it's all been laid out here in full before.

Where? What thread? What website?
Show us the body.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Teaching magic in a class setting or educational situation is different than just randomly revealing info.
Kondi. " if you take a mans livelihood away by degrading his act through exposure for gain."
So this would apply to all education- why teach math- it can take away an accounts job?? Why teach logistics it will take away UPS and FEDEX business away, why teach someone to play a musical instrutement or sing, because this create other singers... But does it? Those who desires a professional seeks out one. Teaching creates interest....

dave_matkin

"Well if using people you know, not crediting them for their support and then selling out the art is not specific enough for you magicofcurtis I don't know what would be specific enough for you."

Actually it isn't. Still general, not underline bases of fact.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Ken outlined those basics...maybe a year or two ago? Curtis, you may still have been in diapers!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
I wasn't. Where can we read these..."basics?"
While we're at it, what, specifically, did JG do?
I'm not saying he DIDN'T do--whatever--I just am curious to know WHAT.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
On 2012-09-18 15:51, magicbymccauley wrote:
Some have called me a prostitute because ive taught the cups and balls to thousands of children (which includes a phase by dai vernon.) Am I genuinely furthering the art and preserving it for future generations?

You can try to justify it anyway you like, even shoplifters say” the stores can afford it”
You are selling out the art for self gain and because it’s too easy. You know people will sign up to learn magic.(every kids dream) If you were a great teacher, kids could sign up to learn maths, spelling etc, but they don't as magic is a better draw card.
Same as those who promote their religious believes using magic and escapes. If the biblical story was really a world beater, then everyone would sign up.
However it’s dull and outdated and needs a hook in the modern world. Magic is added to help sell the story, to catch the attention of the people. It’s not aimed at the adults but the kids, and like a good cigarette company, if you get them hooked (on religion not magic) young enough, they are hooked for life.
If you were really interested in helping the kids and not making money selling out the art of magic, you could offer camps for physical fitness This would greatly benefit the well-being of the kids and even might help the teacher.
Quote:
On 2012-09-18 15:51, magicbymccauley wrote:
Am I genuinely furthering the art and preserving it for future generations?

No you are not, but promoting fitness would further and preserve the life of many children instead.
If justifying your actions as being a noble cause was true, then everyone would be doing it but they are not. Only those who see easy cash do it. It’s a bit like Paris Hilton’s video and others ‘tell all books’, cheap, nasty and too easy. It not adding or preserving anything, just a means of money.
Magic and escapes are for entertainment. No more No less.
magicbymccauley
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

Profile of magicbymccauley
Well, Ian, I've been teaching people magic for a decade. I'm not a ciggarette company that gets people hooked. Most people don't get hooked on magic. In fact, a problem I have is that so few students want to continue their education. I have had a few, a very small and precious few, who have really taken on magic as a serious hobby or a career. Most kids want to learn magic, they learn a few things and they put on a show for their parents. That's usually it, it's usually a one shot deal. It's more akin to an "Art Appreciation" course, where kids learn about magic and to understand how to be a good audience and socially interact with people in a performing art. It's similar to an intro to Drama course when you think about it.

As far as physical fitness goes, I am also a martial arts instructor as well. Retention with martial arts is better because people really like the achievement levels (getting the next belt, etc). I've toyed with the ideas of having achievement levels in magic as well, but I'm not sure it suits magic very well. I get paid a pittance to teach martial arts and I've been doing it for 20 years. Most of the money (like 90%) goes to the organization.

As far as everyone doing it goes, many people have tried to steal the idea from me and have failed badly at it. It takes a certain kind of person to have a magic school. You can't have an ego (those people move on to bigger and better things and are too proud and "important" to teach a 7 year old a card trick) and you have to have consistency and business acumen.

I think there's something to be said for teaching children magic and I think it does some good in this world. I don't think it's in the ranks of Mother Teresa or feeding the homeless. It's a simple drama class where we teach kids to hide balls under cups. I don't think it's going to affect world peace or anything, but it does certainly generate interest and respect in children, along with the attendant social skill, confidence, and public speaking skills that come with being a performer.

I've had children so shy that they were afraid to even come in the room turn into students that can stand up in front of an audience and make people laugh. I think that's worth something.

As far as making money goes, it certainly hasn't been easy. But then making money is never easy. I could do it for free, or I could do it for next to nothing, but I already do that in teaching Martial Arts, so I think I've done my charity quotient or whatever.

Also Ian, I really appreciate you comparing me teaching kids with being Paris Hilton. Very kind of you.
"Tricks are about objects, Magic is about life."
-Max Maven
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Magicbymccauley,
Ian and other proper builders sell props/items to people. Isn't this selling out as well?
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Who was it said if you cant do it teach it!!!

Yes this has all been aired before and UKEA contacted JG and the others involved in this disgrace,,,JG tried to put it on the others heads,,,and in the end cried wolfe like a baby caught with a wet nappy. The others involved refused to comment as did Equity,IBM,Circle and BBC.
Their non comment enforced the thinking that they knew exactly what they were doing so had no defence to offer.

Can`t see the point in bringing this all back up again,,,as I have seen close friends suffer and lose all because of it. Scruples seem to be non existant with some entertainers and anything at any expense in order to make a buck!!

Ken
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
"Can`t see the point in bringing this all back up again,,,as I have seen close friends suffer and lose all because of it."
All due respect, you brought it up when you made the remark on the first page of this thread.... Smile
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Its common knowledge as to what JG is up to and as this is supposed to be magicians helping magicians such as him has no place here. To draw attention and remind peeps of these facts is important so any mention will get a rebuff from me. Also as Harley said its been aired before so any peeps on here should be familiar with the problem,,,,it seems you were not !!!
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
I don't think it is common knowledge, myself and I know of at least one other person has verbal stated or asked several times what this knowledge is......
But you don't want to get into it, but you bring it up....
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
May I point out that London and Los Angeles do not necessarily have the same personalities? Some people work both. Not many.

Funny...I think I've worked each, about the same amount.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
JG lives in LA and does a lot in the UK.... Smile

But, I think many entertainers have worked all around the world, that's the fun part of our business....
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I'm curious, Curtis, how many British EAs have you met...enough to know the talk inside the group?

www.bladewalker.com
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
I have met I think 2-3.... Depending on how you count them... But, one shouldn't go in public to stand on a soap box to make accusations without fact and then state they don't want to bring it up. I believe one of your kings behead many of you folks for such... GOOD old Henry the 8th! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » A new show from Jonathan Goodwin (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL