The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Movie Scenes That Scared You As A Kid? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2986 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On 2012-09-15 22:21, Michael Baker wrote:
Every time I see the Phantasm ball, I think it would make an interesting Zombie routine.

Have to do something about those sharp points... Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2012-09-16 11:05, stoneunhinged wrote:
Kind of a funny story: what I remember as the most terrifying thing I ever saw was a scene from the movie, "13 Ghosts", which is more or less a comedy. I don't remember why it scared me so much, nor why I didn't see the rest of the movie.

To this day, I still find the seance scene in "The Changeling" (the one with George C. Scott) to be the most terrifying thing ever put onto film. It doesn't scare me much anymore, since I've watched it at least 100 times, but it is truly powerful movie making.

Which scene from "13 Ghosts"?
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2012-09-18 17:48, Steve_Mollett wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-09-16 11:05, stoneunhinged wrote:
Kind of a funny story: what I remember as the most terrifying thing I ever saw was a scene from the movie, "13 Ghosts", which is more or less a comedy. I don't remember why it scared me so much, nor why I didn't see the rest of the movie.

To this day, I still find the seance scene in "The Changeling" (the one with George C. Scott) to be the most terrifying thing ever put onto film. It doesn't scare me much anymore, since I've watched it at least 100 times, but it is truly powerful movie making.

Which scene from "13 Ghosts"?

I don't remember, but I think it was a seance.

Here's the story: when I was a kid growing up in Taiwan, we used to go to Hong Kong during the summer. My father had some missionary friend who went to the States, and so my father took over the "business" (so to speak). During this time we would live in the other missionary's apartment.

What I remember is this: we were about to leave Hong Kong to go back to Taiwan, and a movie was on the TV. It was 13 Ghosts. I watched it only for a couple of minutes, and it scared the bejesus out of me.

Many years later, I saw that 13 Ghosts was coming on TV. I watched it and was literally shocked to find nothing scary in it at all.

That's the story. It could be that watching the seance scene out of context was scary. It could be that I was just nervous about making another move. Who knows? But I remember it as scary.

Since my last post, I tried to order the movie from Amazon.de. Not available. If anyone can help me to watch it again, I'd appreciate a PM.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2556 Posts

Profile of critter
It wasn't as a kid, and it wasn't even a scary movie- but the context...
So I worked as a night janitor at Old City Hall when Jeepers Creepers came out. My supply closet was in the tunnels underneath the building that used to be part of the "Spokane Underground." Lots of side passages sealed with concrete, etc. There was no cell reception and the only way in or out was with my key.
The restaurant upstairs played old-timey music 24/7 which could be heard from the tunnels.
The night after I watched Jeepers Creepers that song came on when I was in the basement. I dropped my cart off fast that night.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Once someone posts behind you it is not possible to edit your post.

Phantasm was scary, especially the old guy saying "Boy!" and the dead people being compressed into undead dwarfs.

I'm on vacation in the Philippines so just now caught up on this thread. I took the kids to go see the new Resident Evil movie in 3D. It felt like a long promo for a video game and expect a new game exactly as the movie to come out.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3652 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I'm over it Brian but I appreciate your response.

Just consider it as an option next time.

Have fun in the Phillipines.

-Mary Mowder
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2921 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Quote:
On 2012-09-15 03:18, Mary Mowder wrote:
Why put that stuff up here?I don't come here for that.

Please post a link with some warning for this stuff (if you must).

Please remove this post. I doubt I'm the only surprised and disgusted party.

-Mary Mowder

It's hardly disgusting, at least to me. It's a comical and obviously very stylized/fake scene.

As for a scene that frightened me, it was in the original 1930s Frankenstein, when the monster picks up the little girl and drowns her in the lake... It disturbed me mainly because I didn't understand it.

Oh, and Jack Nicholson's frozen figure at the end of The Shining.
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4169 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2012-09-20 12:05, Michaelmystic2003 wrote:

It's hardly disgusting, at least to me.

Well, now you know that there of (lots of) others who do find things like that disgusting. Smile
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2556 Posts

Profile of critter
That's why I keep a lot of my more... imaginative... thoughts to myself. Stuff that I don't think is weird or gross, lots of other people do.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4169 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I love the 1977 "Dawn of the Dead" but it would never occur to me to recommend it to someone without - as Edward Van Sloan (sp?) would say - a word of friendly warning. Smile
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Warning disturbing link! You have been warned!
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2824 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
The last moments of "The Fly" (the original, not the Jeff Goldman remake, which had plenty of moments of its own).
When the two characters are watching the fly in the spider's web.
THAT freaked me out.
"All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast!" - Oscar Wilde
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
The first appearance of the monster in "Bride of Frankenstein" (1935). I first saw this when I was about 10 years old, and it scared me ****less.
Here's a link. The scene I'm talking of, starts at 7:52 and ends at 9:35.
http://www.alluc.org/movies/watch-bride-......803.html
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
That eerie, high-pitched "Help me .... help me . . . . "
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5154 Posts

Profile of landmark
As an adult I had bad dreams for quite a while after Blue Velvet.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
What, are you not fond of PBR?
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
OMG my dad had me watch a warewolf (wearwolf? spelling???) movie when I was really young, like 5 years old. I had wearwolf nightmares for the longest time.
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5154 Posts

Profile of landmark
The sad part Woland, is that I'm old enough to get your joke.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11176 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2012-09-21 16:25, TommyJ wrote:
OMG my dad had me watch a warewolf (wearwolf? spelling???) movie when I was really young, like 5 years old. I had wearwolf nightmares for the longest time.

Werewolf? - There wolf. There castle.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
1951: The Thing From Another World. 00:26 into the clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOAhis3JVd0
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Movie Scenes That Scared You As A Kid? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL