The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Movie Scenes That Scared You As A Kid? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5154 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2012-09-18 17:55, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-09-18 17:48, Steve_Mollett wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-09-16 11:05, stoneunhinged wrote:
Kind of a funny story: what I remember as the most terrifying thing I ever saw was a scene from the movie, "13 Ghosts", which is more or less a comedy. I don't remember why it scared me so much, nor why I didn't see the rest of the movie.

To this day, I still find the seance scene in "The Changeling" (the one with George C. Scott) to be the most terrifying thing ever put onto film. It doesn't scare me much anymore, since I've watched it at least 100 times, but it is truly powerful movie making.

Which scene from "13 Ghosts"?

I don't remember, but I think it was a seance.

Here's the story: when I was a kid growing up in Taiwan, we used to go to Hong Kong during the summer. My father had some missionary friend who went to the States, and so my father took over the "business" (so to speak). During this time we would live in the other missionary's apartment.

What I remember is this: we were about to leave Hong Kong to go back to Taiwan, and a movie was on the TV. It was 13 Ghosts. I watched it only for a couple of minutes, and it scared the bejesus out of me.

Many years later, I saw that 13 Ghosts was coming on TV. I watched it and was literally shocked to find nothing scary in it at all.

That's the story. It could be that watching the seance scene out of context was scary. It could be that I was just nervous about making another move. Who knows? But I remember it as scary.

Since my last post, I tried to order the movie from Amazon.de. Not available. If anyone can help me to watch it again, I'd appreciate a PM.

Okay, I remember 13 Ghosts from my childhood. When I came back from the movie theatre showing it, I was delirious with a fever of 104 degrees. Coincidence? Perhaps.

But here's the thing about that movie which you may not have known since you only saw it on TV: they provided you with magic glasses. If you didn't believe in ghosts you didn't put them on, and you would not see any ghosts; but if you did believe in ghosts, you were supposed to put on the glasses and you could see all the ghosts that the other actors were screaming about.

I think I wore the glasses.
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Planet of the Apes
Every scene, every movie.
Flipped me right out.
Flipped us all out.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Quote:
On 2012-09-15 02:42, Salguod Nairb wrote:

Really fake and not at all scary just like most other zombie ball routines I have seen Smile
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Quote:
On 2012-09-21 04:50, ed rhodes wrote:
The last moments of "The Fly" (the original, not the Jeff Goldman remake, which had plenty of moments of its own).
When the two characters are watching the fly in the spider's web.
THAT freaked me out.

I agree, freaked me out for days.
The earliest scene I can remember that frightened me was age 5. The flying monkeys in the Wizard of Oz.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2012-09-22 09:35, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-09-18 17:55, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-09-18 17:48, Steve_Mollett wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-09-16 11:05, stoneunhinged wrote:
Kind of a funny story: what I remember as the most terrifying thing I ever saw was a scene from the movie, "13 Ghosts", which is more or less a comedy. I don't remember why it scared me so much, nor why I didn't see the rest of the movie.

To this day, I still find the seance scene in "The Changeling" (the one with George C. Scott) to be the most terrifying thing ever put onto film. It doesn't scare me much anymore, since I've watched it at least 100 times, but it is truly powerful movie making.

Which scene from "13 Ghosts"?

I don't remember, but I think it was a seance.

Here's the story: when I was a kid growing up in Taiwan, we used to go to Hong Kong during the summer. My father had some missionary friend who went to the States, and so my father took over the "business" (so to speak). During this time we would live in the other missionary's apartment.

What I remember is this: we were about to leave Hong Kong to go back to Taiwan, and a movie was on the TV. It was 13 Ghosts. I watched it only for a couple of minutes, and it scared the bejesus out of me.

Many years later, I saw that 13 Ghosts was coming on TV. I watched it and was literally shocked to find nothing scary in it at all.

That's the story. It could be that watching the seance scene out of context was scary. It could be that I was just nervous about making another move. Who knows? But I remember it as scary.

Since my last post, I tried to order the movie from Amazon.de. Not available. If anyone can help me to watch it again, I'd appreciate a PM.

Okay, I remember 13 Ghosts from my childhood. When I came back from the movie theatre showing it, I was delirious with a fever of 104 degrees. Coincidence? Perhaps.

But here's the thing about that movie which you may not have known since you only saw it on TV: they provided you with magic glasses. If you didn't believe in ghosts you didn't put them on, and you would not see any ghosts; but if you did believe in ghosts, you were supposed to put on the glasses and you could see all the ghosts that the other actors were screaming about.

I think I wore the glasses.

The "ghost viewers" had two lenses: you looked through one to see the ghosts, or the other to NOT see them.
Last year they released the film on DVD, including the "Illusion-O" version, with a set of "ghost viewers."
It's in my DVD collection.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1279 Posts

Profile of imgic
Saw the Abomidable Dr Phibes with Vincent Price as a kid. For some reason it really got to me...couldn't sleep for weeks
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Maybe it was because some of the victims were killed in bed (via the bats; the locusts).
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2921 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
When I was a bit younger, but not much (probably 14 or so) I was downstairs in my living room, in the dark, watching videos on Youtube. I'd heard about this huge twist ending to the camp classic Sleepaway Camp so I decided to watch just the ending on Youtube, thinking it would be really goofy.

But when the video started, it took me less than two seconds to leap from my seat and book it upstairs. To this day, that ending scares the living **** out of me. Some people think the ending is comical as opposed to scary, but it's probably one of the most terrifying images I've ever seen in a horror film.
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
littleboy
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of littleboy
The scene in the ring where the lady was brushing her hair in the mirror. It still freaks me out!
giobbi1
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of giobbi1
The Haunting - 1963, camera is on a woman and as it pulls back, there is this hideous hag standing behind her.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Those flying monkeys in Wizard of Oz scared the heck out of me as a kid. :O)
galerius
View Profile
Loyal user
Piemontese Alps ( Northwestern Italy )
245 Posts

Profile of galerius
When I was 11 or 12 y.o. I found very scary a scene in "The Legend of Hell House", when a corpse comes back to life and assaults the young medium ( Pamela Franklin ).
Other scenes I found - and still find - scary are the tube sequence in "American Werewolf in London" and the glowing eyes suddenly appearing in the darkness out of the window in "Suspiria" by Dario Argento ( for months I was afraid of going close to windows at night, after I saw that ! ).
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
Fire in the sky, gave me nightmares.

My dad loved to watch movies, shows, and documentaries about Aliens.
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.deceptionsmke -My Show
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Snow White.

When I was a kid I used to have night terrors. One night when I was about 5 I saw Snow White and woke up with a vivid night terror about the Queen turning into the witch. I remember it vividly to this day.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5154 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
landmark wrote: As an adult I had bad dreams for quite a while after Blue Velvet.

then Woland wrote: What, are you not fond of PBR?

then landmark wrote: The sad part Woland, is that I'm old enough to get your joke.

Okay so the sadder part is I have no idea now, only one year later, what the freak we were talking about. I have no idea what Woland's joke was anymore! Can anyone help?
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1080 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
On 2012-09-15 22:21, Michael Baker wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-09-15 22:02, George Ledo wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-09-15 14:28, Cliffg37 wrote:
BTW I did not think Phantasm was either that scary a film, or that good a film.

Weird, I was thinking about that scene just a couple of days ago, the spurting blood effect and how they did it. Every time I see an auger I think of it.

Every time I see the Phantasm ball, I think it would make an interesting Zombie routine.

Michael, how does that routine end, or are we better off not knowing?
Bob
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5154 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2013-11-29 08:13, landmark wrote:
Quote:
landmark wrote: As an adult I had bad dreams for quite a while after Blue Velvet.

then Woland wrote: What, are you not fond of PBR?

then landmark wrote: The sad part Woland, is that I'm old enough to get your joke.

Okay so the sadder part is I have no idea now, only one year later, what the freak we were talking about. I have no idea what Woland's joke was anymore! Can anyone help?

Wait, I just had a brain storm! Harry and Bert! Eureka!
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Piels????? Yikes, you found it!

Bob and Ray were pretty scary too.

And now that I think about it so were Kukla, Fran and Ollie to a five or six-year old. Beulah the witch scared the crap out of me.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Sorry folks, just realized the OP was about movies. But it's landmark's fault because he got me onto Bert and Harry.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5154 Posts

Profile of landmark
Wait, I had another senior moment there - - I (and Woland) didn't mean Piels, I meant Pabst's (Blue Ribbon)!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Movie Scenes That Scared You As A Kid? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL