We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » A Wedding Trick? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
markb
View Profile
New user
england
5 Posts

Profile of markb
Hi,
Struggled to know exactly which forum to post this.
I'm getting married next July and am starting to think a little about my speech. I'm really into 'close up' and there will be an expectation from the guests that a little magic will be on the menu. I'm looking to spend some money on something very visual with big impact possibly with a wedding theme. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Quote:
On 2003-10-25 18:01, markb wrote:
Hi,
Struggled to know exactly which forum to post this.
I'm getting married next July and am starting to think a little about my speech. I'm really into 'close up' and there will be an expectation from the guests that a little magic will be on the menu. I'm looking to spend some money on something very visual with big impact possibly with a wedding theme. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

A number of things come to mind. For the speech, you might consider something along the lines of the floating rose. It's romantic and plays VERY strongly.

Another idea might be to do the appearing rose, where you do an origami rose from flashpaper and produce a real rose when you light it. I think that's a Kevin James item.

For the garter toss, I did the old vanishing beer bottle bit (ala the Slydini paper balls trick, but no throw) for a gag.

There are LOTS of effects you can do - the trick isn't which trick to use - but how to present a good trick with the romantic theme for the event.

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptuals, too!

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Congratulations!

So many effects that would work well but I think it depends on you and your partner and what sort of thing you would like to see!

Some couples love romance but some would find the floating rose a bit tacky.

Also, does your wife to be like magic or is she, like most partners, SICK of magic after seeing so much of it. My partner would be mortified if I did magic at our wedding.
joculari
View Profile
New user
Canada
80 Posts

Profile of joculari
Ive always wanted to do a bottle production from a topit if I was doing a toast at mine or at a friends wedding and then serve the guests with the produced bottle.

:bubbly:
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of Snidini
I agree with the roses theme with the use of flash paper. That would be very visual and strong. I agree with Joculi and think the champagne bottle from silks would also be stunning. Congratulations and good luck. Please keep us updated on how it went.

Snidini
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
If you do any close-up,Aldo Columbini's Heart to Heart is a nice romantic routine.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13382 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
This probably won't be a popular opinion but you might want to not do any magic at all.

It is your wedding afterall.

When I go to weddings, people sometimes urge me to do magic, etc. I politely tell them that "This is not a time for me. It is the time for them"

I realize that you are part of the "them" but still, it is something to consider and something I would understand and be very respectful of.

How does your wife-to-be like watching your magic?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
markb
View Profile
New user
england
5 Posts

Profile of markb
Thanks for the responses.
My intention isn't to steal the 'show' at all. In fact I'm likely to be divorced before the speeches are over if I go on for too long. My partner has seen enough of my magic. However I just wanted something quick and powerful. Just something that has small props but massive impact. I had thought of an appearing rose myself, and I do like the idea of some flash paper effect though I've never used it before.
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
I agree with mr. starsini
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5266 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2003-10-27 16:59, markb wrote:
My partner has seen enough of my magic. However I just wanted something quick and powerful.

And what does SHE want? It's her day too. I agree with Frank.
Jason Fleming
View Profile
Veteran user
Marooned, Hawaii
374 Posts

Profile of Jason Fleming
You might consider something that makes some carefully chosen "other" (your new spouse, mother-in-law, father-in-law, whatever) the star for a moment. Various ideas on this are in other discussion areas, but one effect that leaps to my mind is the "thought sender" routine from Dan Harlan's Card Show DVD from his "Pack Small, Play Big" series.

The reason this leaps to mind is that at my wedding one year ago, a great friend came up onstage and did that very trick with her, for the guests/audience, and it was great.

And sincere congratulations!

-Jason

...Just to agree with Frank, note that I did not perform that trick at my wedding, a friend did.

I like your idea about a flashpaper appearance of a rose or something quick and visual and quick and romantic and quick.

That way people will remember the romance, and not "your show".

All the best,
Jason
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Clear it with your Intended before you do anything. Trust me on this.

But, if she gives the go-ahead, keep it simple, direct and VISUAL as well as being focused on HER!

Work up something that shows HER how much YOU LOVE HER and you will not go far wrong.

Remember, a bride has been told all of her life that her wedding day is THE most important day of her life. If you keep the focus ON her, you should be fine.

So, the appearing bra trick is completely off the list of possibles, as is the spong ding-dong trick!

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13382 Posts

After giving it more thought I've decided I like both of these...

the appearing bra
the sponge ding-dong

and don't forget to close with a classic of magic
...The Chinese linking rings!

I'm going to bed. I'm starting to laugh too much.

Seriously, you'll have enough to think about and remember. To have no magic at all will be quite a statement to those that expect it, saying that you're serious about the day. Everything else will wait and should wait for another day.

If they ask, you just say...
"Perhaps another time"

When the day rolls around, you'll realize you made the right decision.

Once in a while we should all empty our pockets of magic tricks for the day.

Why?
Because it's not (and shouldn't be) the most important thing.

And on this day, you're guaranteed it will be the right decision.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I agree with Frank Whole-heartedly. If you really do want to do magic at your wedding reception, bring a pack of cards, hey even set up some IT ala Fearson on yourself but save it for the bar or a few friends at a table later in the evening but don't make it a "show stopper".

MY gf would absolutely KILL me because the day should be magical enough without props. Congratulations again!
Take care,
Bryan
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13382 Posts

One last point and then I'll go home.

If you're like me and you have magic to do, you want it to be perfect. This means that I'd be going over everything in my head ahead of time or wanting to get a little practice session in, what you're going to say, etc. Basically daydreaming about your upcoming performance.

To not have to even think about that would be a great relief on a day that is already packed with stress.

No matter how simple the effect is.
joculari
View Profile
New user
Canada
80 Posts

Profile of joculari
I don't have anything to say about whether you shouldn't or should do magic. I personally would but that's me. I just wanted to add you can do a full wine glass production from a silk as well.
The Cardfather
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Beach, CA
344 Posts

Profile of The Cardfather
Andrew Mayne's, Bisection might be something you can work into your speech. "I've been working on this new trick where I make my whole body vanish. Last time I tried it only my head disappeared. Since you're all close friends and relatives I'd like to attempt it for you tonight. (lift a table cloth in front of you, lower it slowly. Only thing visible to the audience are a living pair of tuxedo pants. Virtually half your body appears to have vanished) "Did it work? I can't see." Hopefully laughter ensues.

The easy to make plans and material will cost about $25 total. You'll need to modify a second set of tuxedo pants which you can get at a thrift store or Salvation Army for under $5.00

Congrats.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I don't think it would look right to the guest if they see you working as a magician. But just the rose trick is ok for a special time (after your speech.)

Try using top hats as table centerpieces. That will make a good magical theme. You can get a free catalogue if order it from http://www.andersonsparty.com
They have tons of decorations.

Try and hire someone else as the magician. I will be available then. I will give you a good deal if you pay for the airfare, room and board. Smile
The Cardfather
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Beach, CA
344 Posts

Profile of The Cardfather
Then you go right into saying, that's the way you felt all the time before meeting your new wife, incomplete. blah, blah, blah...
markb
View Profile
New user
england
5 Posts

Profile of markb
Well thanks for the responses gentleman. Perhaps I should give more thought to the idea of a magic free speech. It might well be for the best after all.
Thanks again
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » A Wedding Trick? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL