The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Signing a card: bits, lines and conversation during.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TKE
View Profile
Veteran user
FL
346 Posts

Profile of TKE
Or a coin.

"sign your name..and your social"

"sign the face of the card..not YOUR face.."

after looking at the signature "are you a doctor?"

"so now this is the only card in the world like this..unless you have an obsessive hobby of signing playing cards.."

Thoughts?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Simon Lovell is good at this. But it suits him. Its got to suit you.
ApprenticeWizard
View Profile
Regular user
Charlottesville, VA
170 Posts

Profile of ApprenticeWizard
I don't speak to the one doing the signing -- it might distract them from doing what I asked them to do. But I would probably say something to the others watching such as "The reason I have the card signed is to make it unique -- truly one-of-a-kind. That way the mystery gets deeper ... and deeper ... and deeper ... until it reaches that place of wonder deep within." I never explicitly mention the possibility of duplicates, but by stressing that the signature makes it "one-of-a-kind" that possibility is implicitly ruled out ... so the mystery really does get deeper and deeper ...
Magically yours,
Tom Olshefski
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Whatever you do, I strongly discourage you from asking Danny Doyle what he thinks about your one-liners. You won't like the reply.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
I don't think there's anything wrong with using some kind of line during the process of having someone sign a card.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Countage
View Profile
Veteran user
Charlotte
361 Posts

Profile of Countage
I ask them to sign their card and look away for a few seconds then say "Make sure you use pretend writing. I do not want these cards to get ruined" The audience laughs and then I say "I am just kidding you"

I also hold the signature upside down and try to read it. This also get a good laugh.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2012-09-16 15:58, TKE wrote:
Or a coin.

"so now this is the only card in the world like this..unless you have an obsessive hobby of signing playing cards.."

Thoughts?

They will either really work because they suit you or you will sound like a ridiculous hack.
It has nothing to to do with those words, btw. Any one-liners can make you sound equally ridiculous and cheesy.

p.s. the last people you should be asking advice about one-liners are magicians, who are notorious for using cheesy jokes, convincing themselves the lines are funny. too much time spent working on their trix and too little time working on their "funny".
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-09-16 15:58, TKE wrote:
Or a coin.

Thoughts?

NIce work posting my act. My book doesn't come out until december and you've give most of it away.
MuscleMagic
View Profile
Special user
794 Posts

Profile of MuscleMagic
Pop haydan has a really funny routine he does when a person signs a card, here is a link directly to that part, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp2XPu1BA......ge#t=28s

obviously like others said its gotta fit you whatever you say, if id repeat what pop haydn said even word for word it will sound stupid, when he says it, even after watching the vid a few times its still hilarious
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
About the only line I use is when I have an elderly lady sign and I ask for her #. Once I actually got it!
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Thh cheesier the better works for my style. I use very old school (almost Vaudville) one liners and running jokes
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-09-17 00:02, MuscleMagic wrote:
Pop haydan has a really funny routine he does when a person signs a card, here is a link directly to that part, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp2XPu1BA......ge#t=28s

obviously like others said its gotta fit you whatever you say, if id repeat what pop haydn said even word for word it will sound stupid, when he says it, even after watching the vid a few times its still hilarious

Pop Haydn knows his character.

All magicians should study this clip, the better to realize how well they should know their character.
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1553 Posts

Profile of Cain
Quote:
On 2012-09-17 00:09, pepka wrote:
About the only line I use is when I have an elderly lady sign and I ask for her #. Once I actually got it!

Did you call her a floozie?
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
I feel that no jokes should be said during the signing process. If your having someone sign a card its normally to do something amazing and important. If its important, isn't the signing an important moment in the the routine? I think empahsize should be put on it, because its the only time your having a card signed in your routine, at least it should be...unless its a multiple selection routine.

My real question is, should a joke be inserted in that point? Comedy should be very strategically placed in your routine, and is that the best place for it, or just filler?

That aside, a line I created and used to use was after they sign it "Wait...your not Angelina Jolie?" or whom ever they look like. One, its funny and two its a compliment to them as a opposed to making fun at them.

Best,

Six
JRediens
View Profile
Regular user
Roma, Italy
147 Posts

Profile of JRediens
I can't undestand the Pop's line, can someone write it down? Thanks!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2012-09-17 09:39, SIX wrote:
I feel that no jokes should be said during the signing process. If your having someone sign a card its normally to do something amazing and important. If its important, isn't the signing an important moment in the the routine?

I disagree.

The signing isn't important at all and creates dead air. What IS important is that that card WAS signed. After a few bits of business and after you get the card back, you can take a joke-free moment to slowly show the card to the audience.

Quote:
On 2012-09-17 00:30, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Thh cheesier the better works for my style. I use very old school (almost Vaudville) one liners and running jokes

Sounds to me that poof-daddy knows his character well, and I get the feeling anything would go over well if he does it.
That would not work for me.

Knowing "is this something my character would really say/do" is such a huge step for a performer.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Signing a card: bits, lines and conversation during.. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL