The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Recording vs. Ventriloquism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
What pleases a kids audience the most with puppets, track recordings or ventriloquism?
Steve Petra
View Profile
Regular user
New York
195 Posts

Profile of Steve Petra
Kids aren't making that distinction. They are best entertained by what's funny, weird, unexpected etc. If you're not be able to do vent (for now)it won't stop you from using puppets but it is certainly a limitation. Recorded tracks lock you in to a dialog or performance that you cannot adjust for an individual audience. You can't hone the material as you discover what works best in front of kids. Anything that can be done with a track can be done better (in a way that is more entertaining to your kidshow audience) as a vent.

Tracks can be a good way to break into the idea of using puppets in your performance but they come with their own limitation however, a musical number on a recorded track can be quite functional because within that piece, the perfromance would mostly be unchanged in order to follow the music.

So many possibilities!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Wow, what a coincidence Steve. The thought came in my mind after watching your DVD, "Let's Get Visual". I received it today. Your entertainment helps encourage me to get deeper with puppets..

Posted: Sep 18, 2012 11:14pm
Oh yea, thanks for answering my question.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
My very first puppet show was on backing track - six puppets, plenty of action, lots of music during the chase sequences. It was grand. But the day I did it dry, using one voice for all six puppets (I haven't much variety in terms of accent) the show was ten times funnier and more entertaining.

I have listened to some backing tracks, including the Axtell ones. They are well produced, but I don't feel they can match a human performance.
Aussie
View Profile
Special user
Australia
623 Posts

Profile of Aussie
IMO recorded material is great for behind the curtain puppetry or even marionette but if you can ventriloquism is a must for anything else. It can be frustrating when learning vent to tackle some of those difficult words, but perseverance will get you there.

Agreed Steve Petra's DVD's are a fantastic learning tool (highly recommended).
Australia's Most Original Ventriloquist

http://www.ladymaceentertainment.com
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
Dynamike,

Axtell Expressions has a free learn ventriloquism course on their web site.

Chris
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thanks Chris. I do have several books/DVDs already. I must work on more comedy and routines leading to more kids reactions. I like how Steve uses different props with his puppets.

When I use the drawing board, everything is alright because of how the magic blends in. I added a puppet rabbit to my magic show. A few times I heard from someone in the audience, "Can we get back to the magic show?"
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Dynamike - when I switched from magic to vent, the puppets were totally alien to me and it took time to develop confidence in my ability to entertain using them. It is a growing process. One day you may look back and realize that the puppets have taken over and are the best part of your act.

One thing I highly recommend is a solid script. The script is the backbone of a ventriloquist's act. So put time into developing material based on your characters. Without solid material that produces strong laughs, you'll hear more of "Can we get back to the magic show?"

Tom
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
Performing for a wide range of ages in an audience, one might get an ignorant reaction from an audience member. I'm pretty sure there were other members that actually enjoyed the rabbit puppet.
MrG
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of MrG
I'm going to give another point of view. First, I wouldn't use a track for reasons previously stated and for me it just isn't dynamic in presentation. It doesn't allow for interaction or spontaneous reaction. Where I might differ from others is to suggest no script at all - rather - develop a routine that requires little to no dialogue. Keep it visual and funny - develop the personality and your relationship with the character. Think about Bill Demar's great routine with his frog - no vent and it kills with a strong character, strong puppetry, and strong visuals.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I notice how the recording relates to "Nesting Wands". When I perform the nesting wands young kids are highly amazed by my humor and silly reactions. Usually older children are not amazed as much. Sometimes the older kids say something similar to "That wasn't magic". I bet the younger kids would love the recordings, especially because they do not know what they are missing. It would be important to have the comedy easy to understand for the kids. Of course funny reactions must be done to make the kids laugh too.

The older crowds rather see more skill.
bigcheese
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, CA
56 Posts

Profile of bigcheese
My kids really love anything to do with puppets, especially when there is ventriloquism involved. In the last few years I've seen performers of varying skills levels but the kids enjoyed them all regardless.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
I have seen dynamic performers work wonders with an Ax trak.

I am a firm believer in using lots of resources.

Script "righting" and re-rewriting is crucial.

Of course my years with an improvisational troupe continues to add that spontaneous touch to my routines.

It's two mints (or is it 17) in one....

Over the years I have even done vent while in "Mime"

Harris
formerly mime over matter...
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Recording vs. Ventriloquism (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL