The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » TV Hypnosis (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jonathan100
View Profile
Loyal user
292 Posts

Profile of Jonathan100
Hi,

There are quite a few TV specials that include hypnotic effects along with other more mentalism type demonstrations.
Those hypnotic demonstrations don't seem real, for example walking up to someone and instantly with very little work or command hypnotizing a spectator so the hands stay together etc... Is not the way hypnosis is taught, meaning just walking up to someone and telling them the hands are locked and presto the hands are locked is not enough to cause the effect.

Another such effect is where the spectator gives his wallet away to the performer, and does not remember it. Or where the performer pays with blank paper instead of money etc.

So is it based on TV magic: editing, stooges, pre show with the spectator, or is it based on actual hypnosis?
drawfull
View Profile
Veteran user
qmagi.com
328 Posts

Profile of drawfull
Hands sticking together after instant induction definitely works. As to whether it's hypnosis in the strictest sense, I'm not sure. many years ago, when I lived in the UK I used to sell magic. An old gent offered to train me in hypnosis and I never took him up on it as I had no interest in it at the time. And I don't believe I am very susceptible anyway as I went to a stop smoking hypnotist once with no joy.

Thanks
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20851 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If you are asking if it is traditional hypnosis just let me say this.

You can walk up to hundreds of people prior to getting hands to stick. Prior to getting the reaction you want. You don't have that luxury when doing a show. You don't have to show all those misses when on TV. You don't have that luxury in a show.

Deceide for yourself if it is something you consider "real".
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Good question.
It's definitely possible, but not for everyone approached.
Rather than think that a formal induction is required, why not see the first successfully acted upon suggestion AS the induction?
However, without wishing to expose anything, almost everything which can be genuinely achieved can also be constructed in other ways.
Do you think a TV crew and production company would waste time filming until they found one of the people it worked with instantly, or do you think they might sometimes take short-cuts, like those you suggest, to create the illusion of it happening?
I'd say most of the time you're probably seeing a combination of the many ways there are to skin a cat.
Putting examples of real hypnosis and illusion side by side, or appearing to blur the lines between them is one way to keep an audience (TV or otherwise) mystified and entertained.

Quote:
On 2012-09-19 07:58, Jonathan100 wrote:
Hi,

There are quite a few TV specials that include hypnotic effects along with other more mentalism type demonstrations.
Those hypnotic demonstrations don't seem real, for example walking up to someone and instantly with very little work or command hypnotizing a spectator so the hands stay together etc... Is not the way hypnosis is taught, meaning just walking up to someone and telling them the hands are locked and presto the hands are locked is not enough to cause the effect.

Another such effect is where the spectator gives his wallet away to the performer, and does not remember it. Or where the performer pays with blank paper instead of money etc.

So is it based on TV magic: editing, stooges, pre show with the spectator, or is it based on actual hypnosis?
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Pre-show with subjects that have already been through a selection process and may even have applied to an ad to appear on the show. that's is the most likely answer. TV production costs a lot of money everything is planned carefully to get the "look" that they want. I doubt very much if they just go out into the streets or whatever and approach strangers randomly.

Although I would guess the hypnosis would be genuine the lead up to it won't be.
thementalcoach
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, CA
65 Posts

Profile of thementalcoach
When I give presentations (and always promise interesting demo's with volunteers), after a standard pre-talk I do a few suggestibility tests aka imagination exercises. I use that to choose my volunteers (I really hate to do a rapid or instant induction and have the volunteer refuse to enter trance). I sometimes "anesthetize" a volunteer's arm with a pink "numbing agent" with the result a hard pinch is not felt as pain. The numbing agent is colored water and waking hypnosis is the technique. We all know the power of suggestion, especially if the stage is carefully set. So, COULD street hypnosis be as real as seen? I think it could, but with profit and expenses on the line, I doubt if what we see is always what really happened.
David Kenward - The Mental Coach
One-on-One: Healing Trauma - Hypnosis, Hypnotherapy
Groups: Magic, Mentalism
Sacramento, California
http://thementalcoach.com
drawfull
View Profile
Veteran user
qmagi.com
328 Posts

Profile of drawfull
With regards to the TV angle, some performers do show their misses with instant induction - DB for example - so it's definitely not always as clean as others may like to portray.
Jonathan100
View Profile
Loyal user
292 Posts

Profile of Jonathan100
Effects like those I described where a subject gives the performer his wallet and does not remember any of it or where the performer pays with blank money doesn't feel like real hypnosis at least the ways it's portrayed on TV, That's why I was wondering if there were special TV methods to create these effects with the illusion of hypnosis
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2012-09-20 06:43, Jonathan100 wrote:
Effects like those I described where a subject gives the performer his wallet and does not remember any of it or where the performer pays with blank money doesn't feel like real hypnosis at least the ways it's portrayed on TV, That's why I was wondering if there were special TV methods to create these effects with the illusion of hypnosis

It is likely that he was hypnotised off camera. And most likely went through a selection process before hand. Everything Derren does is calculated for a reason even showing inductions that "fail".
A.G.
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver Canada
958 Posts

Profile of A.G.
^^^ YES ^^^
Jonathan100
View Profile
Loyal user
292 Posts

Profile of Jonathan100
Hi Andrew,

Yes to which part?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » TV Hypnosis (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL