The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Foxlute
View Profile
Regular user
UK
148 Posts

Profile of Foxlute
Quote:
On 2012-10-01 07:51, volto wrote:
You could use old british coins. Half crowns and old pennies are roughly the same size (about half dollar size) and you can even buy gaffs in those sizes.
Instead of dollars, you can use old crowns. £5 coins are same size as crowns. You can get pre-decimal crowns and half crowns cheaply on ebay.

You can get silver half crowns and full crowns, if you want to go for real, old, silver coins. Victorian pennies are available very cheaply. You can get a victorian penny sh*ll set, and a penny/half-crown hopping halves set from a few dealers in the UK. The most deceptive sh*ll set I own is a victorian penny set that cost £20 - and I own a lot of sh*ll sets, including top of the range Morgan dollar and walking liberty sets. Nothing comes close to the deceptiveness of those pennies. Google "expanded victorian penny set" and "victorian hopping halves" from the UK for dealers - I think emagictricks and "hocus pocus" (the UK ones) both do them.

For other gaffs, you can get custom work done surprisingly cheaply. The cost of gaffing up your own coins is about the same as the cost of buying a pre-gaffed set (including coins). Or at least, around that kind of level. If you have your heart set on a TUC, Marcelo Insula (Mr. Tango) can create one from your own coins.

I find that UK coins work better for me. I use both gaffed and ungaffed, old and current, but almost always UK coins. So it's doable, it needn't cost much and it might even be cheaper (at £20 a sh*ll set).

You write very persuasively! ;-) Is there any reason to favour Victorian pennies as opposed to any pre-decimal pennies? As I recall they were the same size.
volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
Yep, they're the same size. The two main reasons I prefer the Victorian pennies are - first, unlike pre-decimal pennies, Victorian pennies have normally tarnished to a very dark brown with lighter bronze relief; this makes the rim of the sh*ll almost invisible when it's mouth up. The second has to do with Queen Victoria and how people respond to that name - it immediately grabs people's interest.

Good luck with finding the right coins. Sorry if I've confused the issue...! Smile
Foxlute
View Profile
Regular user
UK
148 Posts

Profile of Foxlute
Quote:
On 2012-10-01 12:30, volto wrote:
Yep, they're the same size. The two main reasons I prefer the Victorian pennies are - first, unlike pre-decimal pennies, Victorian pennies have normally tarnished to a very dark brown with lighter bronze relief; this makes the rim of the sh*ll almost invisible when it's mouth up. The second has to do with Queen Victoria and how people respond to that name - it immediately grabs people's interest.

Good luck with finding the right coins. Sorry if I've confused the issue...! Smile

Not at all. That's what makes this place so useful. There's a lot of real-world experience to tap into for people like me. (Hmm, "real-world" seems an odd phrase to use on a magic forum.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
The tuc is one of the most versatile coin
gimmicks I have ever purchased.so many things can
be accomplished with this coin.the most cleanest
coins across you will ever do.well worth the money.
todd
Dirtytrix
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Dirtytrix
Quote:
On 2012-10-08 21:42, bowers wrote:
The tuc is one of the most versatile coin
gimmicks I have ever purchased.so many things can
be accomplished with this coin.the most cleanest
coins across you will ever do.well worth the money.
todd

Agreed about everything you say here, but my only caution about the TUC is to take a moment and think about how you routine with it, since it doesn't work the same way as an E******d S***l. I spent ages learning Dean Dill's 'No Extras' coin matrix and now I have it down pat the notion of using any gimmicked coin does seem to cheapen the whole thing, plus I really like the idea of not having to use playing cards to cover the coins and it's way cleaner than using a TUC or anything else for that matter, plus the extra advantage of not even having to hold out additional coins or use any gaffs at all - it's 100% examinable at almost any stage of the effect.

I own a walking liberty TUC and whilst it's so clearly such a lovely gaff I'm really struggling to build it into my routines, mostly because everything I've learned to date uses convential gaffs. For example, if I want to do a 'spell bound' type of display with an ES covered coin and let the insert drop into f***** p*** then obviously I can't do that with a TUC. Unless someone wants to tell me different? I should perhaps take this into the TUC thread, so apologies for the hijack.

I do think the TUC is a lovely gaff, but since buying one I'm struggling to find practical uses for it - I guess I really need to go through Mr Tango's video and spend more time with it.
Dirtytrix
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Dirtytrix
Quote:
On 2012-09-30 11:57, djurmann wrote:
If you do use half dollars they are about the same size as an old English penny - good for copper / silver transposition.

DJ

Actually, copper/silver walking liberty and old english penny are next on my shopping list. I just bought a load of old english pennies on ebay for a couple of quid, so I can go through them all and find suitable candidates for performances.

Of course, I've been aware of copper/silver gaffs for a long time but they just never appealed to me and somehow seemed unconvincing until I saw Eric Jones' and also the guys that produce the !@#$%^& Coins DVD. Now I'm a convert and definately going to integrate that into my routines. I guess that until I saw it being presented I just looked at them and though 'meh'. I'm probably guilty of giving my audiences too much credit.
Dirtytrix
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Dirtytrix
Oops, I carefuly asterisked out the title of that DVD in my last post for obvious reasons but it seems the forums have automatically double-censored my own censored text. Apologies for that but due to the title it's probably best to describe this DVD as 'The Naughty Titled Coin Magic DVD by Philippe Bougard and Clement Kerstenne' lol. I hope I don't get a warning for that, I thought I was being careful.

For what it's worth, it's excellent and I recommend it highly, but be warned the language on the DVD contains a lot of swearing. It doesn't bother me terribly, but I'm aware that it could upset some folks sensitivities.
Foxlute
View Profile
Regular user
UK
148 Posts

Profile of Foxlute
Quote:
On 2012-10-09 06:43, Dirtytrix wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-09-30 11:57, djurmann wrote:
If you do use half dollars they are about the same size as an old English penny - good for copper / silver transposition.

DJ

Actually, copper/silver walking liberty and old english penny are next on my shopping list. I just bought a load of old english pennies on ebay for a couple of quid, so I can go through them all and find suitable candidates for performances.

Of course, I've been aware of copper/silver gaffs for a long time but they just never appealed to me and somehow seemed unconvincing until I saw Eric Jones' and also the guys that produce the !@#$%^& Coins DVD. Now I'm a convert and definately going to integrate that into my routines. I guess that until I saw it being presented I just looked at them and though 'meh'. I'm probably guilty of giving my audiences too much credit.

Are you UK based Dirtytrix? I had assumed not until I saw you use the expression "a couple of quid".

I remain torn on the subject of gaffs. I lean more towards using them for coin magic simply because I find coin sleights more difficult than card sleights. (I have virtually no card gaffs at all and concentrate mainly on FASDIU effects.) So, I am resigned to using, at least, some e******d s****s at the moment and since I started to read about it I have become sorely tempted by the TUC too. Since starting this thread I have a better idea of which way to go but I still haven't taken the plunge and bought anything! (I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure!) ;-)
Dirtytrix
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Dirtytrix
Quote:
On 2012-10-09 09:36, Foxlute wrote:
Are you UK based Dirtytrix? I had assumed not until I saw you use the expression "a couple of quid".

I remain torn on the subject of gaffs. I lean more towards using them for coin magic simply because I find coin sleights more difficult than card sleights. (I have virtually no card gaffs at all and concentrate mainly on FASDIU effects.) So, I am resigned to using, at least, some e******d s****s at the moment and since I started to read about it I have become sorely tempted by the TUC too. Since starting this thread I have a better idea of which way to go but I still haven't taken the plunge and bought anything! (I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure!) ;-)

I'm in Watford, Hertfordshire.

Same as you I don't use much in the way of gaffed cards. I have bought them in the past but what I have in my card routines is so much stronger from being able to work with FASDIU which means everything can be inspected, and you're right on the money when you say coin sleights are harder - no question about it. I watch Eric Jones perform and the fact that he's just so relaxed and natural makes me ill lol. I wanna be like that, but even Eric uses gaffs. He's right in what he says though. Coin magic doesn't need to use gaffs and can be really strong even without complicated moves, however the use of gaffs can turn a good effect into a full blown miracle.

My routining of the effects I'm performing at the moment is fairly organic and starts from a real basic coin production right after 'washing' my hands and showing both bare, then produce a coin, then do a single 'coin across', then produce more coins from nowhere, and up to this point I've not touched a gaff. I then will either do a multiple coins across which I can still do impromptu without a gaff, but my favourite is to then do a coins thru table and employ an e******d s***l. It's killer, especially when the coins are going through the table and into someone elses hand.

Now, if we're on the subject of not using coin gaffs and keeping it clean like with cards, what I can say from experience is that I find it FAR easier swap gaff coins in and out with a simple s*****e p**s than it is to swap gaff cards in and out. Unless those cards are out of the deck then the deck can't be inpected and routing the moves to swap out cards I find tricky, they can't be concealed quite so easy. With coins the act of actually handing the coins over can cover the move, it's really simple.

I can't remember if you said whether you've seen Metal 1, 2 and 3? If you haven't, get them, they are awesome. In fact I'd go as far as saying get them before you go and spend money on gaffs. Metal 1 is about the basics and breaks everything down, don't know if you need that or not. Metal 2 is more about routines with ordinary coins and has lots of useful stuff. Metal 3 essentially combines everything you got out of 1 and 2 but focusses on deploying gaffs. I keep finding myself flitting between all three of them constantly revisting for the bits and pieces I need.
Foxlute
View Profile
Regular user
UK
148 Posts

Profile of Foxlute
Quote:
On 2012-10-09 10:19, Dirtytrix wrote:

I'm in Watford, Hertfordshire.

Ahh I thought you must be in the UK. I'm in Brentwood, Essex.

Quote:
Same as you I don't use much in the way of gaffed cards. I have bought them in the past but what I have in my card routines is so much stronger from being able to work with FASDIU which means everything can be inspected, and you're right on the money when you say coin sleights are harder - no question about it. I watch Eric Jones perform and the fact that he's just so relaxed and natural makes me ill lol. I wanna be like that, but even Eric uses gaffs. He's right in what he says though. Coin magic doesn't need to use gaffs and can be really strong even without complicated moves, however the use of gaffs can turn a good effect into a full blown miracle.

My routining of the effects I'm performing at the moment is fairly organic and starts from a real basic coin production right after 'washing' my hands and showing both bare, then produce a coin, then do a single 'coin across', then produce more coins from nowhere, and up to this point I've not touched a gaff. I then will either do a multiple coins across which I can still do impromptu without a gaff, but my favourite is to then do a coins thru table and employ an e******d s***l. It's killer, especially when the coins are going through the table and into someone elses hand.

Now, if we're on the subject of not using coin gaffs and keeping it clean like with cards, what I can say from experience is that I find it FAR easier swap gaff coins in and out with a simple s*****e p**s than it is to swap gaff cards in and out. Unless those cards are out of the deck then the deck can't be inpected and routing the moves to swap out cards I find tricky, they can't be concealed quite so easy. With coins the act of actually handing the coins over can cover the move, it's really simple.

I can't remember if you said whether you've seen Metal 1, 2 and 3? If you haven't, get them, they are awesome. In fact I'd go as far as saying get them before you go and spend money on gaffs. Metal 1 is about the basics and breaks everything down, don't know if you need that or not. Metal 2 is more about routines with ordinary coins and has lots of useful stuff. Metal 3 essentially combines everything you got out of 1 and 2 but focusses on deploying gaffs. I keep finding myself flitting between all three of them constantly revisting for the bits and pieces I need.

I've seen clips of Eric Jones before but I haven'seen his "Metal" DVDs. I've just looked at their contents and I think I could still benefit from getting Metal 1. I am still very much a novice. Most of what I have learnt so far has been from Bobo's Modern Card Magic (a great reference work but dry as dust to read and learn from) with a little help from Michael Ammar's Complete Introduction to Coin Magic.
Foxlute
View Profile
Regular user
UK
148 Posts

Profile of Foxlute
Quote:

I've finally acquired Metal 1 and I must say you are spot on with your recommedation. Eric Jones is a great teacher and I've already improved some sleights after just one viewing. Thanks so much for putting me on to him.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Coins (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL