The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Quick and flashy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

michealmachek
View Profile
New user
BC, Canada
25 Posts

Profile of michealmachek
Hey all,

I've been a magician for 12 years now, but I recently got a part time job working at Future Shop here in Canada as a commissioned cell phone salesman. The other day me and my manager were discussing segways into getting the customers attention without seeming like I was trying to sell them something. He suggested a magic trick might be cool and a great ice breaker. So now that I have permission to do magic at work, the research has begun! I'm looking for things that take no more that one minute to do, things with regular objects. I'll tell you what I have one me at all times- a pen, a watch, rubber bands, my iphone (already using some magic apps on there), name tag, and business cards. Although this doesn't restrict me, I'm already working on the gag where it looks like you pull the magnetic strip off the credit card. I also have these "Cell Shop Magazines" that we use A LOT! I was thinking there might be a magazine test I could do or something along those lines? Maybe something with a cell phone? headphones and cables and cases could work as well, anything in that theme might even be cool. So I would appreciate and suggestions that you might be able to give me to help drive more sales. It's worth a shot anyways...

Micheal
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Take a look at Gregory Wilson's Recap.

(And, by the way, it's "segues"; a Segway is a scooter. Smile )
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Well, there's Pressure for your cell. C/R Ear Buds that was in the Talk About Tricks section of MAGIC some time ago. Those are the first two things that come to mind. More later...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Using magic as a segue to selling them something? Not a fan LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Sure why not?

This may lead to a goal of doing trade shows for a sponsor. Good luck!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Mike ODonnell
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
215 Posts

Profile of Mike ODonnell
Why Not perform ILogo.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I was making a joke, but since Bishop disagrees I might be onto something.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
In my opinion one never knows where a contact, or a job might lead into something good. As I said good luck!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

MagicWGH
View Profile
Regular user
Covington, LA
165 Posts

Profile of MagicWGH
I think there was an item released by Theory 11 (or one of the other whipper snapper sites) where a LaCoste logo was moved on the shirt. Not sure what it entails but it may be something you can customize if your company has a small logo on your uniform. That would probably make your boss happy too and could lead into corporate work...
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Cellout would be perfect. Unfortunately, the new cell phones are too big to fit in a pack of playing cards. Maybe you could produce an accessory or something.

Jim
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2012-09-19 16:05, bishthemagish wrote:
In my opinion one never knows where a contact, or a job might lead into something good. As I said good luck!

Wow another just teriffic insight LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I LOVE magic. But if I go to buy something, I'd respect a professional pitch telling me the features, benefits over the sales staff doing a trick for me.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It would be a horrible sales tool for using on me. But I can see it being effective.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
That's what Trade Show Magicians are all about. To stop the crowd and generate interest. Then the sales staff takes over.

I recently attended a trade-show with my company (day job) People were just casually walking by our booth and as most people do, they stop for a few seconds, then walk on by............I walked out in front of our booth and started to engage people ( in a professional manner) performing bill changes some card stuff which generated conversation which in turn led to talking about the product we were promoting....The result: potential customers just walking by to genuine sales leads and sales.

Sales rule:: People are more likely to purchase from someone they like. Performing a magic effect in an engaging and friendly way can accomplish this. Just my opinion..your mileage may vary.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Trade show magic differs in that generally the magician is not the salesman.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-09-20 00:07, Dannydoyle wrote:
Trade show magic differs in that generally the magician is not the salesman.

And people come to trade shows expecting that other people will be trying to sell them something.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Another fine point.

There's something disingenuous about using magic to soften them up for a sales pitch.

It works and is in no way dishonest.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2012-09-19 16:05, bishthemagish wrote:

Quote:
On 2012-09-19 16:46, Dannydoyle wrote:
Wow another just teriffic insight LOL.

As I said I am not going to be baited into another idiot argument. LOL!!!

I think the world of technology is a great one - and cell phones are a part of it. Everything that is manufactured seems to have a trade show to go along with it. Do your homework - find the leads and good luck.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

michealmachek
View Profile
New user
BC, Canada
25 Posts

Profile of michealmachek
Thanks for the great tips! I figure its worth a shot anyways and would help me develop my own way of selling. If you have anymore suggestions on stuff I can do I really appreciate it! Whta you've suggested so far is great. Definitely see a use for pressure.

Micheal
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Quick and flashy (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL