The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » ADVANCE to be published again? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Just subscribed as well. Looking forward to looking through it!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Just got done leafing through it. Other than the large number of ads, I LOVE IT! The routines are great (in fact I plan to use at least one in a Knights of Columbus Christmas Party show on the 15th).

I think this will be in my top three or four favorite purchases of 2012!

...not complaining about the ads, by the way...I know they are necessary!
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

torben
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of torben
It's a wonderful magazine, more than worth the money. Lots of thanks to Duane Laflin + David and Teesha at http://www.Laflinmagicstore.com
Andrew_Jeffrey
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Andrew_Jeffrey
Excellent. Delighted to support this. I will sign up now. Am I too late for the freebie or is this still going?
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Read issue #2 and watched the five related videos

a great read, with lots of showmanship ideas (and four new routines)
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Another excellent issue put out by Duane. He stressed again the importance of Gospel magicians being up to date and professional- a challenge for us part-timers for sure.

Like all magic organizations including the FCM, IBM and SAM (I am a member of all three), the majority of the dues paying members are amatuers like myself who will never be "up" to the same public performing standards as the full time "pros" seen on the evening stages at the national conventions. Just read the monthly Ring reports in The Linking Ring or in MUM, some pretty standard stuff is generally being performed- and this is usually the norm rather than the notable exception. But I can still appreciate a hobbyist doing his best/having fun doing an old card trick which he just learned, whether in the FCM, IBM or SAM. Not mention too, I have also been at non-FCM conventions where all the acts were not always top notch either (just read the reviews of the FISM non-competition shows, there were boos apparently).

I do think the evening shows at the 2012 FCM convention were some of the best I have ever seen there, including from the "days way back when" in the early 70ties when IBM and FCM President Jimmy Lake performed every year (one of my favorites). Prez. Del and the convention planners have been working hard to get the best Christian talent they can muster, and I would hope that some of the younger pros that may in the past have been opting out at the FCM reconsider performing now and/or sharing with us/helping us in lectures to encourage us to continue to raise the bar and grow in all levels of performing excellence (e.g. as in last year's Ice lectures).

For those of us at the FCM convention in 2012, I can tell you, we saw some great quality acts equal to Abbott's or SAM national convention standards. Not to mention FCM has triple the number of actual planned lectures given for all age groups than any other national convention- and many of these lectures were also of that same good quality level. Plus, the FCM chooses to give more opportunities to perform at other times as well for all talent levels such as with The Late Show, Late Late Show, etc.- the opportunity for which does not normally exist at other conventions (unless one is in a graded competition or contest).

And dare I say it- sometimes the "old style" is still called for. I am quite glad it was an old hacker like me that was doing the Gideons Christmas program last year for an adult program specifically designed for their enjoyment- rather than some street ripped jeans dressed dude used to doing high school rock events showing up with a cross headband on with an "added on" Gospel afterthought (which I have also seen) which would have gone over like a lead balloon in that particular conservative setting. There is a time, a place, a setting, an age group, for any well done act.

See you all at the 2013 FCM convention in Nashville- Fired Up!- onward and upward! I think the FCM is moving in the right upstream direction for sure- be a part of this encouraging flow!
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1166 Posts

Profile of Russo
"Easter Story" an Idea --you must know routine for "Die Box" - find your own 'Verses' -use your own "Quotes"(patter) - PROPS: 1. least expensive DIE BOX -repaint outside with STONE like spray---2. Die and gimmick-replace dots with a DOVE or??(dont like to use our Lords picture).-- 3. HAT -decorated with continents like a World Globe.---4. thick Blue Devils Hank (parden the name)---5. CROSS with a shelf at cross/pieces -large enough to hold Die SHELL. OK _ Hope you understand the following - if not PM me. PERFORMANCE; take die&shell that was sitting on top of the DieBox(TOMB)--place them into Hat(World)"Christ came into the World" -- take shell only-from hat and place on Shelf --"was crucified for our sins" ---take shell and place it into DieBox(tomb) -- "they came to anoint HIM" - do SUCKER EFFECT_ "but He was GONE-thought His body was stolen"- Now open WHOLE BOX_(TOMB) CHRIST arose -Divinity " --take whole die from Hat-"Saving the Worlds Beleivers from SIN"---- you can stop now - or - vanishBLOCK " Christ goes to Heaven to prepair a place for US" using BLUE -devis hank(pardon name)- Make it YOUR OWN-own patter-own Verses- someday I'll tell you about a PHONY Gospell Magician I once met. YOU CAN follow up with a Color Book type effect - with Pages of SIN - wipe it with a RED Silk(saviours Blood) Pages are now all WHITE (forgive) Any quetions -comments please PM me - HAVE FUN Blessing to ALL --- RALPJ .
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Pretty well though-out, Russo. You should submit it either to FCM for the Voice magazine, or to Duane for his online Grand Magic mag.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I like Russo's "tomb" idea above/sucker effect- e.g. some skeptics may state that the body of Jesus was "stolen" or simply moved elsewhere (die sliding back and forth)- but was in fact actually gone (box shown empty).
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
If you have not downloaded it already, Duane has put out Issue #3 (February, 2013) of "Grand Magic"- another excellent 57 page issue. I have no idea how he does it month after month. Duane will also be at the Ohio FCM Convention March 1 and 2 in Columbus. On pages 49-51 is Robert Utecht's "Resurrection Die Box" routine (written by Larry Belitz) which is excellent. MagicBob's version of this same effect can be viewed at More Than Magic! program #1, at the 23:38 mark at http://www.ChristianMagician.org
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
The Issue #4, March, 2013 issue of "Grand Magic" is out now. Another job well done, includes some new items for sale that I do not remember seeing before. Duane and Mary will be at the Magicfor HIM Conference March 14-16 in Tampa, Florida- see http://www.MagicforHIM.com Gospel routines this month include for the Professor's Nightmare and the Prayer Vase.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Just a total sidebar on the above, on page 12 Duane has an ad for his excellent "Tribute, Inspiration and Magical Legacy" book, very reasonably priced at $15. One of the magicians Duane writes about is Jay Marshall from Chicago. Someone on http://www.youtube.com posted Jay performing many of his signature effects from 1996 at Magic, Inc.- these are EXCELLENT. Just put "Jay Marshall magic" in the search box on youtube, and these videos will be displayed for free viewing. Many wonderful routines are there including Jay singing "If I Had My Way" with Lefty (priceless), his linking ring routine, his famous thumb tie, various forms of hat folding, etc.. It is amazing how Jay even as a senior citizen could still be extremely entertaining. Both the sound and video quality are good too before this very small audience probably in the back of the shop. Great stuff, I wish I could only be a fraction that good of a performer.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
This is another sidebar to the thread topic, but I know that what I will share here is near and dear to Duane's heart.

I spoke to Jay Marshall at an FCM Annual Convention at Winona Lake back in the mid-80's. It was my understanding that this was his first FCM visit. He was there with a friend of his that was in the FCM. I believe his friend's name may have been Nick.

I asked Jay what he thought about the convention. He was positive as he stated that it was a very family-friendly convention. But then he said something that never left me.

He looked me in the eye and asked something along these lines: "If the message that the FCM has is as important as you all say it is, why do so many of the FCM performers wrap that message in such a poor package?"

Something for ALL of us to think about!

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
MagicBus, I also enjoy the "Grand Magic" Duane puts out. I just purchased the "2+2=5" routine. I knew how it worked even before I ordered it. I like how this simple routine of everyone agreeing when making a group decision, can lead right into "just because everyone else is doing it doesn't mean it's right" Matthew 7:13-14.

This routine wasn't in the "Grand Magic" March edition, but was sent in a separate email. If anyone got this email and watched the video demo, the card holder Duane used was made by Fairchild, according to David, and really looks nice. Whoever is on Duane's email list should have gotten this. Unfortuately the card holder doesn't come with the effect. I don't want to put a lot of money into a card holder that holds 8 cards, so does anyone have any ideas as to what can be used to hold 8 cards that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On 2013-03-02 13:32, tbaer wrote:
Unfortuately the card holder doesn't come with the effect. I don't want to put a lot of money into a card holder that holds 8 cards, so does anyone have any ideas as to what can be used to hold 8 cards that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

An octopus? Smile
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Terry, an octopus would work out pretty good. I found a website that carries 15" card holders.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
The April issue of "Grand Magic" is now out, with pages 40-48 being about Gospel magic.

On page 42, there is a quote by Duane: "Is your vision about ministry through Gospel Magic as big as God would have it to be?" If you have that same question, I would encourage you to read "The Circle Maker" by Pastor Mark Batterson http://www.MarkBatterson.com - a great book regarding Christians praying more and what God specifically has done in the Washington DC area.

This month's routines are "What God Has Not Promised!" by Duane using a mouth coil based on Psalm 34:19 and Psalm 30:5. If you have an Abbott's church silk cabby (like I do), there is also an additional nice routine by Bob Utecht (shared by Larry Belitz of South Dakota) using that prop. A new feature also with "Grand Magic" is a a link to check out the videos that go with this month's issue.

I have not ever seen "Four Steps To The Right Conclusion" now available at http://www.laflinmagicstore.com , very reasonably priced at $12.50 list (less with a Grand Magic subscriber discount). Nice also to see a picture of musician Arthur Stead (he was Peter Frampton's keyboardist) in this issue as well, MagicBob and I shared a few laughs with Arthur at the 2011 FCM convention where Arthur was a lecturer. Never know who you'll run into at these conventions!
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
From the April "Grand Magic Magazine",

I got my miser's coin pail, found I'd already got an aluminium flower pot from IKEA that is the same size.

Great read again this month, especially about not holding onto lines or tricks that need reworking or dropping.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I have a big collection of Miser's Dream buckets. Bed, Bath and Beyond has a nice heavy utility bucket for about $10, but I prefer the less heavy utensil utility buckets from Wal-Mart- only about $5.00. They have two versions- the regular "steel" finish and another one I really like- it is a brown brushed finish and even comes with a glass lid! Kinda a neato look, and appears really normal as it even has the fitting lid. The Baxt Boy and a Bucket DVD is really good for a simple routine.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Another 55 pager of ADVANCE is out (May issue). Good idea by clever Michigander Randy Craven (lives near E. Lansing) on the storage of the Palmo gimic. Duane's special preparation of adding machine rolls- nice!- that alone is worth the subscription price- to be used via a small dove pan type device that I have not seen before. Duane is an amazing guy to put these magazines out month after month while preparing for his illusion show season which begins again later this month.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » ADVANCE to be published again? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL